Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What makes you sell clubs?

hckymeyer

This ones mostly for the club hoe's out there, but what makes you finally pull the trigger and sell your gear?

I'm not talking about those special few clubs that will never get sold. We all have a few and you know what I'm talking about when even if you don't play them for a season, or 5 seasons you just aren't going to get rid of them. I'm just curious what the trigger is for those other clubs that are in between your gamers and the ones you will be buried with.

For me I have two triggers that finally get me to sell clubs. The first is looking around the garage/office and actually realizing how much crap I have laying around. Things start to get cluttered up and it's time to clean house so I can start over. The second trigger for me is when the light bulb goes off and I finally admit that I'm never going to play that particular club again. It usually takes at least half a season for me to admit defeat and get rid of it. It's kind of like cleaning out the clothes closet. If I haven't worn it for a year it goes in the donation pile. Same thing for golf clubs, if I haven't hit it in a season it's time for it to go.

The reason I was thinking about this today is that I finally admitted that the RBZ Stage 2 Tour driver wasn't going to kick the Adams F11 out of the bag. I only played it for about 3 rounds or so with a couple of range sessions and a couple of shaft changes, but it just wasn't working and I've been hitting the F11 really well. It's very abnormal for me to let something new go so quickly and it got me thinking about what actually makes me sell clubs.

Now that I've typed this all out I'm realizing I need to follow my own rules and it may be time to get rid of some stuff...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

When I find something that I like better. I try not to make a habit out of keeping clubs around that Im not going to use. Plus, it helps to fund my new clubs purchases.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I probably give away more clubs than I sell, once I realize that a particular club or iron set just isn't going to be used again.

I've needed to change clubs and irons sets as I've improved and when I moved all my clubs into the building I setup for indoor practice, I realized just how many @#$%ing clubs I'd accumulated and really needed to winnow out stuff I knew I would never, ever use again.

I'll play with someone that's new to the game or, has a serious gap or mismatched club in their bag, and the next time we play I'll give them a club and say "here, try this."

If they're finally able to hit a distance they were missing, or in the case of the newbie, get the ball off the tee into the fairway, their excitement is worth more than the club I give them. If they offer to pay me, I'll just let them pay for the next round or two.

I still sold some clubs, but I probably gave away 3 times as many clubs as I've sold this year.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I sell anything I don't use. The longer you wait to sell, the less value it has.

So really when I buy a new club, I factor in how much I think I can get for my old club into the price.

X2.....Exactly.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

A: When I accumulate too much stuff. "Too much" is either defined by a visual cue or a scathing commentary by the Missus

B: When I lose faith in the performance of the club. May very well be my fault, but if I have no faith when I pull it out of the bag that something good is going to happen, that sucker is going.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

A: When I accumulate too much stuff. "Too much" is either defined by a visual cue or a scathing commentary by the Missus

B: When I lose faith in the performance of the club. May very well be my fault, but if I have no faith when I pull it out of the bag that something good is going to happen, that sucker is going.

See A above and also when there is a pressing financial need like a backed up septic system. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I sell clubs when I accumulate enough to where the wifey tells me that the 2 spare bags in the garage and the one in storage are plenty full. She doesn't say too much though, unless I have a banner week and get 7 or more boxes.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I sell clubs when I accumulate enough to where the wifey tells me that the 2 spare bags in the garage and the one in storage are plenty full. She doesn't say too much though, unless I have a banner week and get 7 or more boxes.

I really thought you were going to chime in with the "I only buy or sell clubs on days than end in Y" :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm a club ho at heart for sure, but I'm starting to seriously consider dropping my #3 set of irons (the MP-62s for a TP 3W that's around 13*).

Basically, my bad habit is 2ndswing.com

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Upon buying the 8th driver, putter, hybrid, etc., I sell one, go into a pseudo depression and buy two more clubs to make up for the one sold.

That hybrid that I sold ya?

I now have two Adams Super LS Ti hybrids(19* & 22*), 1 Adams Super LS 3 FM ti & the TMaG Tour 3FM HL 16.5*

I got problems B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

HaHa, Richard has a PGA Superstore at his house.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

When I find something that I like better. I try not to make a habit out of keeping clubs around that Im not going to use. Plus, it helps to fund my new clubs purchases.

+1 I'm poor so usually I have to sell something to get something new.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I really thought you were going to chime in with the "I only buy or sell clubs on days than end in Y" :)

It sounds better to blame the wife

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Last year I had a friend that bought a "Play It Again Sports" Franchise.....and he came to me looking for clubs. I sold him my entire collection, except for my back up set of Powerbilts.

I figured I had set up two grandsons with great used clubs as starters so it was time to empty the garage......So now I only have two full sets, Nike VR Pro CB's and Powerbilt AFO's.

I guess when my garage fills up again, I will call my friend. I think he opened in Bradenten FL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

That's my problem I don't sell many only the ones I buy to resale. I have quite a collection of classic clubs some worth quite a bit of money to the right person but I cant find it in my heart to sell them. A lot of them have memories. I do keep them up and cleaned. I do need to sell some of my personal clubs though. I did sell my set of Power Bilt Citation Scotch Blades last week because this kid could hit them and liked them. I will probably sell some of my beloved Macgregor blades but not my Dad's old set or my 70 VIPs but hell I have 6 sets and I probably will not hit blades again unless modern science comes up with a pill or something that gets me into shape like I was in my 20s and 30s. Some things will never leave like my IM-5 Putter that a friend of my dad gave me in 70 when I was in school. He died a few years later. I could not putt with that thing now to save my life but for a while I putted like Crenshaw with that hunk of steel. I can pick up my classics and have memories of some of the old players at the course I grew up at. My wife bless her soul never says anything about getting rid of them. She just calls my shop and the front room of our home "golf club hell" She has told people that old golf clubs don't die that they come to our house and stay. But this sounds funny those clubs have helped keep my sanity. In 2000 I went bankrupt on my car racing operation and sold out. It was hard seeing my dynasty so to speak being liquidated. My wife and I started that operation with one race car and 2 spare tires. I actually saw a lot of my life gone then but I kept my old clubs. yep sometimes I look at those clubs and the pleasant old memories flow back priceless.A good footnote to the story A couple of years ago on the GC they mentioned a fellow named Billy Joe Patton from Morganton NC. He actually had a chance to win the Masters in 1954 but faltered in the last round. He was and always remained an amateur and had somewhat a folklore to him in the Carolinas. My wife asked if I knew him and I said hell yes I have his sand wedge that he carried in the 54 Masters. He had gave it to the old man in the 60s and I was there. Yep I have no documentation to prove it but I know it is true I was there! About a year or so ago I was in Charlotte and one of the old timers asked If I still had that wedge and my wife answered before I could hell yes he never throws anything away!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived