TESTERS WANTED! ×

minimalist golfer's bag update*

This may seem odd to most so beware. I don't use 14 clubs. Not even half that many. I currently play with 5 clubs. My 9 hole average is 44 on a par 36 layout. I am currently playing these 5 clubs in a titleist sunday bag.

Welcome less is more!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Sounds good to me what ever works for you. Sometimes when I walk the front 9 of my home course I only carry 6 clubs or so because they are usually the ones I use on that side and it is fun when I get in a pickle to do as The Marines "adapt improvise and overcome"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That's interesting but if it works then no need to change. And yes, pictures would be nice.

Random question too, do people ever make comments on only carrying 5 clubs?

Yeah they generally think that I'm not real serious about the game then they play with me and find out I am for real. I have a friend who quit playing with me because the idea of playing minimalist golf made him mad, he said it was almost like cheating. I think it's hard for people to lose a match to me with 5 or 6 clubs vs the full 14, it hurts the ego. My dad who dosen't golf at all came up with the concept after watching my game for a few years and seeing that certain clubs were costing me a bunch of strokes. My coach encourages slower swing speed players to shorten the set they play.

I have a friend who quit playing with me because the idea of playing minimalist golf made him mad, he said it was almost like cheating. I think it's hard for people to lose a match to me with 5 or 6 clubs vs the full 14, it hurts the ego.

That's a little much to stop playing with you for that reason. Sounds like he doesn't like being outplayed by a 5/6 club player at all.

That's great thanks for posting! If you don't need 14 why carry 14!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Moral of the story--- Never mess with a man that carries a well worn Bullseye

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Moral of the story--- Never mess with a man that carries a well worn Bullseye

True Dat!!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

TK, first, welcome to the forum!

It's great to have ya join us. Please jump in as time permits :)

HaHa, I don't know how good of a "friend" that individual is who refuses to play with ya. He's got issues much deeper than the number of clubs that ya caary in your bag ;)

Absolutely you can get to scratch with a minimalist bag.

We play event a year which is 3 clubs + putter.

I's a two day/36 hole event and the winner the last two years is a +4(HaHa, he also happens to be on this year's Walker Cup team) who went 68, 67(-7) from the blacks.

I was +7(74, 75).

Well, the Very best to ya.

Keep us abreast of your progress

Have a great Autumn.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I will for sure and you too. I will have some more pics in a few days. I have some other clubs that I also use. Just like golfers who play a full set I will tweak my short set depending on the course I play. Another thing I like to do is test golf balls, I tend to play better with low spin balls. Right now I actually love the new callaway warbird in yellow. They are dirt cheap and just fly off the tee.

Yeah they generally think that I'm not real serious about the game then they play with me and find out I am for real. I have a friend who quit playing with me because the idea of playing minimalist golf made him mad, he said it was almost like cheating. I think it's hard for people to lose a match to me with 5 or 6 clubs vs the full 14, it hurts the ego. My dad who dosen't golf at all came up with the concept after watching my game for a few years and seeing that certain clubs were costing me a bunch of strokes. My coach encourages slower swing speed players to shorten the set they play.

Your coach is right. You can actually buy something like Tom Wishon's 730CL's, which are a specialty set for slow swingers, eight clubs from Driver to sand wedge. I don't have them, although I'm at the point where my yardage gaps are so narrow that carrying eight or nine is plenty unless the course involves something specific that I want an extra club or two to deal with.

Cleveland Black 10.5*

Ping G15 4W

Cleveland Mashie 18*

Cleveland Mashie 23*

Ping G15 5-W

Eidolon 51*

Ping G20 SW

Mizuno/Bettinardi BC-01

• 2 weeks later...

TK done something today that was right up your alley. I was at my home course just practicing my short game. I grabbed my sunday bag with only my wedges ,putter and 7 thru 9 iron. We have a lot of nosy old smart aleck old farts around here that don't like to mind their own business. I was practicing minding my own business when a couple of them came up. One of them who I know and don't have much use for said "you don't have many clubs do you?" I told him I had enough to beat him with and he took me up on it. I played him from the senior tees with just those clubs and shot 39 to his 47 and took his money. Actually I adapted pretty well you just don't ever know. He was bitching to one of the bag drop guys who told him that he would learn to mind his own business from now on. My bag drop buddy told him that I had the match won before I teed off do I would have never placed the bet. The guy offered me a rematch with me hitting the same clubs from the blue tees and him hitting from the seniors but I declined I aint no fool besides I had his $50 in my pocket and I went home

G

TK done something today that was right up your alley. I was at my home course just practicing my short game. I grabbed my sunday bag with only my wedges ,putter and 7 thru 9 iron. We have a lot of nosy old smart aleck old farts around here that don't like to mind their own business. I was practicing minding my own business when a couple of them came up. One of them who I know and don't have much use for said "you don't have many clubs do you?" I told him I had enough to beat him with and he took me up on it. I played him from the senior tees with just those clubs and shot 39 to his 47 and took his money. Actually I adapted pretty well you just don't ever know. He was bitching to one of the bag drop guys who told him that he would learn to mind his own business from now on. My bag drop buddy told him that I had the match won before I teed off do I would have never placed the bet. The guy offered me a rematch with me hitting the same clubs from the blue tees and him hitting from the seniors but I declined I aint no fool besides I had his $50 in my pocket and I went home

I love it man! It really isn't about having a certain club for a certain distance it's having clubs you can hit a bunch of different distances. People are always trying to get me to carry a driver or carry this or that and it's like I have put detailed thought into this, I know my game and I have played with a full set. It is not for me. I buy clubs one by one even irons. A lot of places will sell individual clubs and you can get them fitted. Great story and round.

You have some outstanding sticks in your rotation. Like I said previously never mess with a man who carries a well worn bullseye type putter even if it is a Wilson. Those Dunlop Locos are really much unheralded clubs. Even though I am not big on Hybrids I do have an older Loco 24* with an Harrison striper shaft that has always hit good I don't usually game it but I keep it around

G

I see what your problem is.........you're a Lefty!

No wonder you can't figure out how to use 14 clubs for 18 holes......LOL

Whatever the number of clubs.....just go out and enjoy the game.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I shot a 43 +7 today with 5w,4h,7i,Aw,putter, played with an older gentleman seemed like a great guy. A little surprised he didn't say much about my club count. He did like my bulls eye putter, was shocked someone my age still used one. :ph34r:

I see what your problem is.........you're a Lefty!

No wonder you can't figure out how to use 14 clubs for 18 holes......LOL

Whatever the number of clubs.....just go out and enjoy the game.

I did learn to play right handed but it felt funny lol so I switched.

• 3 weeks later...

Love it! Wish the rules were 10 for us. That would speed up play for sure.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is my updated set got a classic burner the other day and I love it.

Does that Burner have the "bubble shaft" in it? there are a couple of retirees around here that I know that are real devoted to those. In fact when I go to yard sales or the thrift stores and I see one cheap I pick it up for them for the spare shafts. I also must be the dumb one around here I am the only one that will put grips on those shafts. I guess I am a glutton for punishment

G

Does that Burner have the "bubble shaft" in it? there are a couple of retirees around here that I know that are real devoted to those. In fact when I go to yard sales or the thrift stores and I see one cheap I pick it up for them for the spare shafts. I also must be the dumb one around here I am the only one that will put grips on those shafts. I guess I am a glutton for punishment

Yes it does. It is a stock bubble shaft stiff flex and I am in love with it I hit it off the tee 200 to 220 right down the middle most every shot.

• 2 months later...

Archived