Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

minimalist golfer's bag update*

I have played many rounds with just a few clubs, as a mater of fact, on I10 just west of Jacksonville, Florida, I hid a "Sunday bag" containing a 5w, 7i, Wedge and a putter.  I bought these in like November of 2006 at a road side tent sale for $50(?) bucks, don't really remember but since I was going to be back and fourth for the next 6 months, I would hid them in the woods by the side of the road, and get them next time I was there a couple weeks later.  Finally, I simply did not go back after May of 2007.

But I have also played a 1 club round or 4 club rounds etc.  These are fun and you are 100% correct in your assertion that it does not take 14 clubs to have fun.  Nor does it take 14 clubs to score well.  A lot of higher handicapper would benefit if they had nothing larger than a 23-24* hybrid and nothing with more loft than 55*.  I once shot a 37 with just a 6 iron and used it for putting also. and a guy who had never broken 90 at the time also shot a 42.  He was shocked.

However, I do not believe that I score my best with less than 12 clubs.  Granted there are two clubs I could lose and it would not effect my score much at all.  I might have to play some holes differently, but dropping the 3 wood and 64 wedge would have minimal effect on my score.  But the rules allow 14 so why not.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 2 months later...

I have not tried the original so I can't give you a comparison but I love the feel of the Wilson. I bought it with the intent to just try it but now I can't keep it out of my bag. It's so good on fast greens.

I have not tried the original so I can't give you a comparison but I love the feel of the Wilson. I bought it with the intent to just try it but now I can't keep it out of my bag. It's so good on fast greens.

That's how I was with my Acushnet, but I picked up something more modern but it has some similarities. I may have to pick up one of these for my collection.

I got my first real practice of the season in. None of the courses around me are open so I went to my dad's country land where he has plenty of practice field. I decided to get my yardages down. I came away with some real yardages for the season. My wrist injury(constant battle) flared up so only got an hour in. What I found was that I am a really straight hitter like usual but man I am a short hitter. Practiced with my fitted driver and my exotics 5w. Exotics are long. I hit the 5w about 190 and the driver 200 so I usually will carry the 5w. Here's some stats some of you might like...I hit my 52* wedge(not in the bag) only 45 yards tops. Off the turf of course cause I wouldn't use it off the tee. I still break 100 every round so you can be short and still play decent golf.

• 4 weeks later...

5 clubs

I would try that but I would probably be playing the back 9 with my putter and my sand wedge!

Driver             TaylorMade           R1                    Standard Flex

3W                  Ping                       G15                  Stiff Flex

5W                  Ping                       G15                  Stiff Flex   

4i - PW, GW   Mizuno                  825 Pro            Stiff Flex

54 degree      Cleveland             588 RTX           Standard Flex 

58 degree      Cleveland             588 RTX           Standard Flex

Putter              Ping                      Craz E Too

Ball                 Bridgestone         330 RX

Left Handed

Handicap 18.21

• 1 month later...

There are some clubs that I never get to use, I reckon I could get rid of certain clubs too.

My utility is my old faithful workhorse, whenever I need to get from point A to point B and there's quite a bit of real estate in between, so this 1 club replaces my 3 wood, 3, 4 and 5 irons.

My 3 wood & 3, 4 and 5 irons are almost never used. So is my 9 iron, which goes the same distance as my PW, but I'm way more comfortable with my PW.

So at most I can get rid of 5 clubs here.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Archived