Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How to become a mid to low single digit HC?

sai-jin

First, welcome to the forum!

Yep, the short game and putting. I might take it out a little longer than 50 yards because last year the last 6-7 weeks of my season and from the Clubs through two District USGA & PGA/LPGA(A mixed Pro-AM), I was playing to a +.54 and my wedges from about 120-125 yds. & in put me in great birdie range, which, as you stated, is critical to breakin par.

That and the fact that I just went through my pre-shot, visualized the shot/outcome and didn't think, I just swung.

I can count on two hands the number of times that I've had that level of confidence in striking the ball, and I've been to plus(+1.5) for 5 of my 46 years playing the game.

That, and playing 4-5 competitive rounds/week didn't hurt.

And yea, I'm single, lol.

Have a great season! :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

LOL, you bring up a very good point, being single definitely helps out the golf game!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a seriously long course! The front tees are longer than the back tees on some courses around here

Is it? I didn't realize that since I'm used to courses like this and a lot of courses are like that here.

But a difference of only 100 or so yards only right?

Copper is not the front tees. There's still Jade and white for women and seniors.

I made that many errors in the front because I duffed my irons because I was so mad at the pace of play.

Plus the doubles came from me missing chips to well over 15ft, and that infuriated me even more since I know

my chips are generally rather accurate, then it infurirated me because I blamed it on the slow group and marshals. Sigh... I got caught in a circle...

Is it? I didn't realize that since I'm used to courses like this and a lot of courses are like that here.

But a difference of only 100 or so yards only right?

Copper is not the front tees. There's still Jade and white for women and seniors.

I made that many errors in the front because I duffed my irons because I was so mad at the pace of play.

Plus the doubles came from me missing chips to well over 15ft, and that infuriated me even more since I know

my chips are generally rather accurate, then it infurirated me because I blamed it on the slow group and marshals. Sigh... I got caught in a circle...

Not actually sure where you're from, but in the Boston area, land comes at a steep premium. Most munis from the tips are about 6k. The nicer courses can get to the 7k+ range, but those usually run $100+ for green fees. The short length of the courses are counter balanced by thin fairways, lots of doglegs, and long par 3s.

Distance is offset by elevation changes. Not long ago, I got to looking at someone else's opening hole and that it was a 484 yard par 4. However, with a 115 feet elevation drop. All of a sudden my pitiful 380 yard opening hole that plays slightly uphill, not much but 10 feet, was not as short as I thought it was.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Being single is good for a lot of things...not just golf :lol:

First, welcome to the forum!

Yep, the short game and putting. I might take it out a little longer than 50 yards because last year the last 6-7 weeks of my season and from the Clubs through two District USGA & PGA/LPGA(A mixed Pro-AM), I was playing to a +.54 and my wedges from about 120-125 yds. & in put me in great birdie range, which, as you stated, is critical to breakin par.

That and the fact that I just went through my pre-shot, visualized the shot/outcome and didn't think, I just swung.

I can count on two hands the number of times that I've had that level of confidence in striking the ball, and I've been to plus(+1.5) for 5 of my 46 years playing the game.

That, and playing 4-5 competitive rounds/week didn't hurt.

And yea, I'm single, lol.

Have a great season! :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

2nd nature eh? THat requires a lot of trust in my own skills and I don't have that yet. But if that's the case, then it's something I"ll work on.

Here is a new score card. Played the course in 2 hours 20 minutes. Straight forward course, just full of trees and 1 unfair water hazard 240-260 yds ish from the tee box.

photo (4).JPG

ANd the following is much more typical of my scoring. The 1 thing I know when I'm scoring like this is that there are no golfer to piss me off with their

stupidity.

photo (5).JPG

Great write up and great observations these are things I notice when I a play with a buddy of mine who is a scratch golfer. He never loses focus or gets frustrated even if he has a bad shot, he puts that shot or hole behind him and focuses on the next one. He keeps his swing very simple and smooth never looks like he's trying to hard.

Those double bogey and triple came from me hitting my wedges thin around the green. And I had trouble putting since the green was aerated and has a bunch of holes, plus I didn't chip close enough to the flag to make the aeration holes not matter.

Didn't hit a single slice with driver, all are straight or straight draws, a few pulls. Fairway to green shots were some of my best results this year. Can I be proud of a 202yds 5 iron into the green that left me 20feet to flag as well as a 239yds 4 Hybrid shot to green that left me with

25feet to flag?

I think I'm starting to understand a little bit what you all are trying to tell me and what I wish for is really touchy and tough. But I'm enjoying it.

photo (6).JPG

Tour one-putt %.........37%(appr. 6-7/round)

Tour 3-putt %...........3.2%(appr. 1 every 2 rounds)

Tour putts/round........29.2

Tour putts per green

in regulation...........1.8

Tour approach putt

performance.............2'4"(distance from hole after 1st putt)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I have told this story before but I was a horrible putter. I could break 90 but only if I chipped in once or twice a round. The guys I played with cheered when I made a GIR because they knew it would be at least 3 more shorts. If I missed the green I was just as likely to chip in or at least get down in two. When I decided to get better the first step was a putting green in the house. I bought a 7'er and for the first 2 hours I made 1 putt. Yes, 1 for 200+ and that was an accident. I had to move up to 2 foot and work my way back. I will make 30 of those a day now. Several times per day I will walk by and I leave a putter and a ball right there and make several putts.

240 yard 4H ? Is that a 25*? Was it downhill, with a strong wind, off the cart path? Lol. Holy smokes! I would hate to be on the receiving end of one of your karate chops!

That is a well toasted 14* 3-wood in my world...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

240 yard 4H ? Is that a 25*? Was it downhill, with a strong wind, off the cart path? Lol. Holy smokes! I would hate to be on the receiving end of one of your karate chops!

That is a well toasted 14* 3-wood in my world...

My 4H Raylor is a 22* . flat line. Hmmm... I don't remember the wind direction, but definitely not head wind.

I did take a big risk with these 5i and 4H shots, but at those moments it just felt like I can hit anything and it'll go straight and long.

(Sabotaged myself on #18 though, because I wanted to maintain the -1 on back 9 desperately)

They ended well for me, but since I have almost never hit those shots and successfully landed on the green, I'm just wondering if good players

do this all the time.

Update: elevation at that course is 5500ft .

I'm going to do a little research on how to make a ball stick on faster greens from long distances, was wondering about this yesterday.

The 4Hybrid shot to the green for a 2nd shot was on a par 5 since I REALLY wanted to get it on in 2 for a birdie chance, which I got.

The 5i shot was because I pulled my driver low about 200yds left and I desperately wanted to at least par the hole.

These 2 shots were not my normal SS, I truly gunned for them, but I already had a mental image of my hips and upper body movement to make the ball go straight.

I was in the zone it felt like.

At least now I know that I shouldn't expect to be able to hit shots like that a lot of times. Kept my mood and motivation and mental focus up easier tho since I did it.

But it made me think, how the heck would I stick my ball from 200yds on to a SUPER fast green?

The greens I was playing were aerated so I thought it'd be easier to make balls stop on them.

I should have had 1 birdie on #8, but my ball bounced 90* left on the green because I hit an aeration hole straight on.

Let me offer something to reconcile or reduce the apparent distance claims. SJ noted in one of his replies that the course is at 5,500 feet. A little research shows that the difference in distance between sea level and 5,200 feet is between 5% (driver) and 10% (short irons) (because the shorter irons are in the thinner air longer with their trajectory). He's hitting a lofted 4 hybrid, so a little more trajectory. He's also another 300 ft higher. So lets say there's going to be a 7% difference in distance, which would be 17 yards, bringing the shot to a rough sea level equivalent of 222 yds. Also, and this is just speculation, but what if the 25 ft from the pin was short of the pin? That's 8 yds. That would bring the equivalent shot down to 214 to 215. Now that's still way beyond my 200 yd max (on a one out of 10 attempts), but does seem to bring it well within the range of the talented and athletic golfer. Just saying.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Made me smile, like this thread a lot because it brings me think about my own game and what I ought to be working on (no, not 240 yard hybrid shots!).

So my challenge for the autumn months is to really spend some time on the putting green, lots of chipping and putting. It's my problem and its what stops me playing off 6 or 7 (which is a realistic goal for me).

As for Sai, or anyone else I don't think you really know your handicap until your testing it regularly against a field of competitors.....

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Let me offer something to reconcile or reduce the apparent distance claims. SJ noted in one of his replies that the course is at 5,500 feet. A little research shows that the difference in distance between sea level and 5,200 feet is between 5% (driver) and 10% (short irons) (because the shorter irons are in the thinner air longer with their trajectory). He's hitting a lofted 4 hybrid, so a little more trajectory. He's also another 300 ft higher. So lets say there's going to be a 7% difference in distance, which would be 17 yards, bringing the shot to a rough sea level equivalent of 222 yds. Also, and this is just speculation, but what if the 25 ft from the pin was short of the pin? That's 8 yds. That would bring the equivalent shot down to 214 to 215. Now that's still way beyond my 200 yd max (on a one out of 10 attempts), but does seem to bring it well within the range of the talented and athletic golfer. Just saying.

I was actually thinking the same, but again, it's not about distance for me. I'm trying to learn what I can and cannot do and how do I compare ability wise against the average good players.

THe 5i though IS short off the pin by 20ft. But also I factor in sucker pin positions in which there are a bunch of on that course. So I rather land it on the green than take chances.

Whenever I mention distance people seem to get riled up when my purpose is completely different, so it gets tiring, but I'm glad you brought it up, because I was wondering about it.

Made me smile, like this thread a lot because it brings me think about my own game and what I ought to be working on (no, not 240 yard hybrid shots!).

So my challenge for the autumn months is to really spend some time on the putting green, lots of chipping and putting. It's my problem and its what stops me playing off 6 or 7 (which is a realistic goal for me).

As for Sai, or anyone else I don't think you really know your handicap until your testing it regularly against a field of competitors.....

Isn't handicap based on the 20 rounds played? I always look at my average overall , then add 2-3 strokes extra on top. May not be official, but I'd rather err on the right side.

Isn't handicap based on the 20 rounds played? I always look at my average overall , then add 2-3 strokes extra on top. May not be official, but I'd rather err on the right side.

How to calculate your handicap

I'm guessing by using your method you are inadvertently sandbagging it a bit :)

Also here is handy Handicap Calculator you can input score and course rating/slope into and get a handicap.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I do not dispute Sai-Jin claim at all. Just Friday, I hit my 4 wood 258 uphill total. The landing area is not visible from the tee. I know the distance because I had just looked at my GPS watch and it said 260 to the water. I knew I hit it really well but could not believe I got anywhere close to the water. I found my ball less than 5 feet from the water. I hit the same club 4 more times from the same tee position last weekend and never came within 20 yards of the water. So saying that I hit the 4 wood 258 yards would be foolish. But I must also keep in mind that I have hit it that far and should keep that in mind when hitting towards water.

But this has nothing to do with lowering the handicap. I have tracked the statistics and for me instead of going for it from 240 yards I am much better off laying up to a 40-80 yards out . I am awesome with wedges from that range and that is usually short of the trouble around the greens. The secret to lowering the handicap is not reaching the par 5's in two and making eagle. Certainly that will help, but it is difficult to control the distance at that range. More often you are just off the green and have a difficult up and down. From that range it is much more likely to hit into trouble. Making a bogey on a par 5 does much more damage than making an eagle does good. Sure there are times to go for it, but if your goal is to lower you handicap than start playing the percentages.

Just because you can hit the ball 249 does not mean it is an automatic green light to the green. There is also the mental aspect of laying up. If I hit a decent drive on a par 5 and an 249 out and I decide to lay up to 75 yards. So I hit a 6 iron or what ever and put it exactly where I wanted, then I am approaching this next shot on a hot streak. I can go up and take dead aim at the flag stick with my 56 and expect to hit it within 5 or 6 feet. Now, I have just hit 3 good shots in a row and am really building momentum and I expect to make that putt.

Just remember the highest scoring hole over par this year at the US Open was the "Drivable Par 4".

How to calculate your handicap

I'm guessing by using your method you are inadvertently sandbagging it a bit :)

Also here is handy Handicap Calculator you can input score and course rating/slope into and get a handicap.

Yep, I just add 2-3 strokes on top of my average.

My friend did calculate my HC a month ago and he said index of 3.2 if I"m not mistaken. I don't know what that is, but I know I'm not scoring an average of 5, because there are days I score in the teens and I'm not that good.

I just entered my info on the calculator for USGA and it says my index is 2.4 based on the last 7 rounds ... Again, it's impossible.

ANyways, it's not important, I need to step up my putts, chips and mental, that's all I know.

Yep, I just add 2-3 strokes on top of my average.

My friend did calculate my HC a month ago and he said index of 3.2 if I"m not mistaken. I don't know what that is, but I know I'm not scoring an average of 5, because there are days I score in the teens and I'm not that good.

I just entered my info on the calculator for USGA and it says my index is 2.4 based on the last 7 rounds ... Again, it's impossible.

ANyways, it's not important, I need to step up my putts, chips and mental, that's all I know.

That actually sounds like about what I would have guessed your handicap to be. The handicap is not what you shoot on average. It's more of an index of what you are capable of than what you normally shoot. For instance this is a screen shot of my current handicap. The scores with an * are the lowest 10 rounds out of my last 20 and are the ones used to calculate the handicap. In those 20 rounds my average score is 83.55, but my handicap is 6.7. I've only got 3 rounds in the 70's this year but if you just looked at the 6.7 index you would think there would be more.

I guess what I'm saying is it's hard to have a goal of being a scratch/low single digit golfer if you don't know where you actually stand, and you are probably a lot closer than you think. You can't figure out how to get where you want to go if you don't know where you are. Time to get an official handicap :)

Brian Handi.jpg

Seems a bit odd to me to have all this discussion about getting to a low single all to find out you don't have a handicap or understand what it means. It's been a good thread. Don't get me wrong. But are you really concerned about your handicap or are we just "shootin the bull" hypothetically? It's OK either way. That's what the forum is for. I guess I just expected you had an actual handicap given the topic here. Like I said, it doesn't matter. Just surprised me.

I see that now. I assume most people think that if I say my HC is a 9, they'd assume i'm shooting around 81, don't they?

I would assume a 9 handicap is shooting mostly mid 80's with some low 80's and maybe high 70's and high 80's thrown in from time to time.

Got this from Wikipedia, but it's a great short definition of a handicap. A handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer's potential playing ability based on the tees played for a given course... Contrary to popular opinion, a player's handicap is intended to show a player's potential, not a player's average score.

I see that now. I assume most people think that if I say my HC is a 9, they'd assume i'm shooting around 81, don't they?

Not at all Sai, I would expect you to be shooting upper 80's.

I seem to shoot 75-80's and I'm a 3.5 now. The system throws all your crappy games out, and keeps the best in your index

Blade: Yea, you are right, I just don't know much and I'd rather ask questions and learn. My questions always lead to other somewhat related questions and this is how I learn more.

Better ask and annoy people than being ignorant forever =P

Sluggo, HKmeyer: I understand that now. I'm going to focus on my putting much more so as well as my mental strength this fall, then I'll get a real handicap next year.

This way I'd be confident of the HC# . I still don't feel confident saying I'm below a 9 for now.

Richard: that one of 2-3 people better be me also... =P

Anyways, thanks for putting up with me, I'll post some updates on my progress as well as scorecards later if that's ok.

Blade: Yea, you are right, I just don't know much and I'd rather ask questions and learn. My questions always lead to other somewhat related questions and this is how I learn more.

Better ask and annoy people than being ignorant forever =P

Sluggo, HKmeyer: I understand that now. I'm going to focus on my putting much more so as well as my mental strength this fall, then I'll get a real handicap next year.

This way I'd be confident of the HC# . I still don't feel confident saying I'm below a 9 for now.

Richard: that one of 2-3 people better be me also... =P

Anyways, thanks for putting up with me, I'll post some updates on my progress as well as scorecards later if that's ok.

Just don't go playing people for money as a 9 handicap and you'll be just fine :)

Just don't go playing people for money as a 9 handicap and you'll be just fine :)

Ah, I never gamble money unless I know I'll win at 90% chance and I do it only to ppl who are "bad people". *grin*

I was a pool shark... but lost my edge.

Richard: I can understand to a degree what you are saying. But I learned that not all is black and white, I try to find the actual purpose of a question or message.

Sure, I can find the answers to my questions most of the time, but wouldn't it be assuring to hear it from a place that is full of people I trust?

Also, since I'm a business admin on another forum, "activity" in the forum is important I find. So my posts are usually dual purposed.

"Stupid questions are the only one not being asked" ? I find that a really stupid statement if people believe in it. Most questions I see are stupid, but if you don't ask questions stupid or smart,

would you improve your knowledge? See, I'm not afraid to ask questions even though I know they can be dumb questions at times, and I find that no matter the question, you can always learn "something" from either the replies,

people's reaction, people's thoughts, etc.

Only insecure and scared people won't ask questions and won't learn anything.

2 months ago I saw a T-shirt that says something like: "The idiots are full of themselves while the brainiacs are full of doubt of themselves". I like that statement better.

I do have to admit, some times I felt like I don't want to post anything because it may get shot down and I don't want to show my other side and cause a negative atmosphere and feeling of animosity.

I graduated from a European uni when I was 14 years of age, and have been on my own since I was 10, no family, no mommy nor daddy to fall back on and no time to cry and whine.

So I'm pretty confident in my life skills as well as IQ.

But in everything new, my principal is to be humble and think of myself as a newbie even when I'm doing average or slightly better in a short period of time... and this is very true for me when it

comes to golf. There are still many variables I don't know of and I'm not comfortable with my skills yet.

Just a friendly write up so you and everyone here know me a little more.

Well, you have a good golf day, hope it's not raining there like it is here for the whole week =)

Figured I'd come full circle on this one and sum up the original question for Sai

How to become a mid to low single digit hc?

• Get a handicap!!!
  • Mental toughness
  • Practice shortgame

Those three things should be enough to keep anyone busy for a while :)

"Sluggo gets popcorn to watch the drama"!

On another note, how do ya like the i20?

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Ahh, the I20...

I got them back weighted last week and yesterday was the first go. Drives were inconsistent, but good enough, with a few monsters. I really contemplated going with an R1, but decided to stay put with the i20 as its pretty predictable.

The 20* hybrid however was fantastic. I only hit it about 4 times, but each one was spot on. While I can only seem to hit it about 200, it was accurate. The back weighting really made a difference for that club.

Archived