Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Cobra Lineup for 2014

MmmmmmBuddy

Had a chance to see the new 2014 Cobra lineup today. Called the Bio Cell. Looks quite good. (I snapped a couple of pics... Hope to get them up when I get home tonight..) Tour driver is called Bio Cell +

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Irons?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

sorry...

cobra-bio-cell-dr-1.jpg

cobra-bio-cell-dr-2.jpg

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

The new drivers have 8 settings instead of the old 6. Project XV Shaft in stock head, and Matrix Red tie in tour head. (the tour driver looks AMAZING!!!! didn't get any pics of that one... sorry.)

• 2 months later...

I had a chance to hit the Bio Cell irons, Hybrids, and Drivers on Saturday at an open day. I have to say, of all the offerings from the different manufacturers that were present (TMaG, Callaway, Nike, Cobra and Titleist) I was most impressed with the Cobra line up. To be fair, TMaG had the SLDR and Speedblades there, Nike the original Covert. 

Of particular note, say what you will about the looks of the Bio Cell irons, but they flat out perform! I only had a chance to hit the 4 and 7 irons, but both were rockets. They didn't soar into the stratosphere quite as high as the Speedblades (for me) but carry distance was further for the Bio Cell irons (Speedblades with stiff KBS Tour 90 shafts; Bio Cell with stock stiff TT Dynalite 85 shafts). Bio Cell irons seemed very forgiving, as did the speedblades. It'd be really interesting to compare these two side by side with the same shafts - for me there was a 10 yd difference in favour of the Bio Cell irons, and I preferred the flight of the Bio Cells as well. 

I swung the Silver/Black irons which are the more muted of the colour options, but I didn't find them ugly in person at all! In fact, given the connection I was making with them I'd have to say that they are right at the top of the list (with the Speedblades, which were also super awesome). 

Those of you who are not convinced by the looks, but want the tech in these might not have to wait too long either. A little birdie tells me there is a players version of the Bio Cell irons (presumably Bio Cell+ irons), though not forged, that'll be making their way to market early next year. 

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Ko Olina ?????

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Ko Olina ?????

Yes Sir! Very nice as well I might add! The Nike tech guy there was really keen on getting the new Covert in for a hit - he hadn't hit it yet but said he had heard good things. The Tour model actually was a better fit for me than the 460cc Covert - which surprised me.

Short Course but very demanding.  did you play it ?  2.0 Covert tour is 460CC, you might want to test it out.  Pretty cool area huh,  Did you see Aulani next to KoOlina?  that place is insane.  I will take you around the place when I get settled in next month....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Short Course but very demanding.  did you play it ?  2.0 Covert tour is 460CC, you might want to test it out.  Pretty cool area huh,  Did you see Aulani next to KoOlina?  that place is insane.  I will take you around the place when I get settled in next month....

I wasn't really paying attention to the Aulani when I was there. we stayed at the Ko Olina Beach Club after our wedding 7 years ago for a few nights before we took off to Thailand - pretty special place! Didn't get a chance to play at Ko Olina, but it is definitely on the list. Pretty close now aye! (your move back) - will be great to put a face to the Hula!

I heard about this Bio Driver last year and the buzz was " It is really super long"      I have been using the white headed Encore ZL Driver for a while and love it.   I also have the Amp Cell Pro Driver and Amp Cell Fairways and Hybrid along with a set each of the Amp Cell Irons and Pro forged Irons.    Cobra has come a long way in the last few years by adding good people to their program.   They are really a sleeper in the business, time to wake up.

• 2 weeks later...

true I have the amp cell driver and amp cell irons...they are the quiet ones in the bunch...

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 9.5 adjustable X stiff

Irons: 4-Sw Callaway XR stiff

Wedges: Sw-Lw Tour Rusty Cobra

Putter: Taylor Made Daddy long legs 38"

balls: Taylor Made Aeroburner soft

• 4 weeks later...

why do lefties not really go to club testings like these, that entire rack of cobra clubs has 1 LH driver, and no other LH equipment. sad. they want us to purchase their equipment and say its the best, but don't give us any equipment to test. and dont even get me started on putters.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived