Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Scramble Season - Good or Bad for the game?

Golfn' Dude

I just posted an article on my site about how scrambles can actually be good for your golf game. I don't think I've ever really believed that until this year. I've seen it with my buddy. His whole mindset and approach has changed and his game is pretty rock solid right now.

So scrambles...good or bad for the golf the game???

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I vote good for your game.

Scrambles allow you to try some things you might not try when you're playing for a score. Generally, unless there is some real money to be won, scrambles are just fun. You get to play with your buddies and just drink beer and have a good time, and isn't that what golf is all about anyway; enjoying yourself and having fun?

Scrambles allow lesser skilled people to contribute to the round. I've never played in a scramble where all involved didn't make a good drive, approach shot, chip or putt that pulled our ass out of the fire. Even fairly bad players get to feel good at least once in a scramble.

I love to play in them. It's just a fun day.

There's only one thing I don't like about scrambles, and that's playing behind them :)

Honestly though I do love me some scrambles, but if I had a dollar for every time someone called it Best Ball I would be able to buy a new driver every year.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That's hilarious! I'm with you. We could likely buy 2 drivers and a set of clubs each for every time it was called best ball!

There's only one thing I don't like about scrambles, and that's playing behind them :)

Honestly though I do love me some scrambles, but if I had a dollar for every time someone called it Best Ball I would be able to buy a new driver every year.

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

It is a great day. And you're right...I've always enjoyed playing with players that don't normally have the game to play in these or contribute. It's fun to encourage them and have some fun.

I guess my buddy was onto something. I've never seen him hit it so good. Especially off the tee. The dude has easily picked up 20-yards and his iron play his so solid. Great to see.

Scrambles allow you to try some things you might not try when you're playing for a score. Generally, unless there is some real money to be won, scrambles are just fun. You get to play with your buddies and just drink beer and have a good time, and isn't that what golf is all about anyway; enjoying yourself and having fun?

Scrambles allow lesser skilled people to contribute to the round. I've never played in a scramble where all involved didn't make a good drive, approach shot, chip or putt that pulled our ass out of the fire. Even fairly bad players get to feel good at least once in a scramble.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

And playing behind them or in them can be a bit of a headache for sure. That is the only problem with 'best ball' ;)

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

Yep. Yep and yep. Good call.

It's supposed to be fun. But funny how golfers think it kills their games.

Wish I was playing in one soon. I'll have to look for one.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

When playing with golfers that don't play as well it's especially fun. Takes the pressure off. Have some fun. They cheer for you and you for them. At the end of the day everyone walks away feeling good.

I think scrambles are good for golf. For the most part, they're meant to be fun and when I have played in them, they are very enjoyable. Takes a lot of pressure off and let's you enjoy the game.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I would rather not play in a scramble. I will take the other side of the issue, and say that it is not particularly good for your golf game. Off the tee, a scramble is all about hitting the ball as hard and far as you can. That is not golf. Often, statistics show that it is better to lay up to a full club approach distance than pound the ball as far as you can and have a partial shot to the green. In many cases, if you were to do this on your own it would bring large numbers into play.

Approach shots are all about firing at the pin, damned the consequences because you have two or three or four or five chances. It does not matter how close the bunkers or hazards are, fire at the flag and hope for the best. Since you have several opportunities only the last person one person has to play safe.

And putting is all about direction and distance, and to me, 3-6 people trying to make the same putt really does not tell you anything. Most of the time the others in the scramble are such poor putters that you never really know if the ball broke that way or they hit the putt so poorly it appeared to break.

I much prefer to play my own ball. Also, when possible, I would rather play in the same group as my opponents. There is something about hitting it so close to the flag that you can almost hear your competitor's butt cheeks tighten. Even better is when you make a poor shot and your opponent thinks he has the easy win when out of no where you make a saving shot. Or the look on someone's face when you drain putt after putt. That is true golf to me. But I had that done to me last week and did not enjoy it near as much. Haha.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

They are fun, but so many cheater in them! We have played behind groups where the best shot of the 4 was coming out of the woods, shot after shot, and suddenly they check in at -17 for the win. We played really well at -13 or -14 and get smoked...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

It's funny you say that as i was never really a fan of scrambles in terms of what it can do to your game. Always had a good time with my buddies playing in them.

But I'm tellin ya...the difference I've seen in my buddies game that I wrote about in my article is quite impressive. For him it worked and filtered into everything else.

And your comment about putting...that is the thing I don't like about scrambles...watching everyone putt or even moreso people telling you or giving you a line when they generally aren't that good of putters. I roll the rock pretty good actually...probably the best putter on earth ;) so I like to go first when I'm confident with the line. People don't think second spot is all that great but if I have any confusion on the line then I'd like to see the first roll.

People think to put the best last...man that's seeing 3 putts miss...too many bad thoughts... ;)

I would rather not play in a scramble. I will take the other side of the issue, and say that it is not particularly good for your golf game. Off the tee, a scramble is all about hitting the ball as hard and far as you can. That is not golf. Often, statistics show that it is better to lay up to a full club approach distance than pound the ball as far as you can and have a partial shot to the green. In many cases, if you were to do this on your own it would bring large numbers into play.

Approach shots are all about firing at the pin, damned the consequences because you have two or three or four or five chances. It does not matter how close the bunkers or hazards are, fire at the flag and hope for the best. Since you have several opportunities only the last person one person has to play safe.

And putting is all about direction and distance, and to me, 3-6 people trying to make the same putt really does not tell you anything. Most of the time the others in the scramble are such poor putters that you never really know if the ball broke that way or they hit the putt so poorly it appeared to break.

I much prefer to play my own ball. Also, when possible, I would rather play in the same group as my opponents. There is something about hitting it so close to the flag that you can almost hear your competitor's butt cheeks tighten. Even better is when you make a poor shot and your opponent thinks he has the easy win when out of no where you make a saving shot. Or the look on someone's face when you drain putt after putt. That is true golf to me. But I had that done to me last week and did not enjoy it near as much. Haha.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I roll the rock pretty good actually...probably the best putter on earth ;) so I like to go first when I'm confident with the line.

You can not be the best putter on earth. That is me. At least that is what I tell myself about 18 times a round. Since I am the greatest putter in the world, all I have to do is hit the drive in the fairway, and the approach on the green. I can make the putt from anywhere.:lol:

The truth is I do not always make the putt but it sure makes the rest of the game easier. I putt first in scrambles. I do not want someone to tell me what they think usually.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I LOVE scrambles!

When I'm playing in a scramble i still play my own game and never really try to murder drives. When I play a normal round of golf I never lay up and always fire for pins anyway so the driver off the deck or punch cut three iron is nothing outside the ordinary. The good thing is when I don't pull them off I don't have to try and get up and down. I have played 5 and 1/2 rounds this year four of which were scrambles (four victories).

I never watch other people putt for the line but I will help them read the putt. If I know xyz player hits his putts with an outside in and open faces his putts or so and so likes to block everything that'll really help them read their putts.

Played in a scramble this past Friday with a buddy who's a decent stick playing off of 4.5 and two of our other copper buddies who couldn't shoot under 120 if their lives depended upon it. The good one hits a driver really well and I proceeded to hit it 35 paces past him (he walked it off). He said "man I hit that one as hard as I could." I replied "I was just trying to hit it on the center of the face." We shot -13 and won by five- donated the first place prizes, closest to the flag, and longest drives back to the second place teams- and had an absolute ball.

The trick is just play the way you normally play. It's just like gambling, once you start winning don't increase your bets, stick with what you're comfortable with.

Trust me...I am the best putter on earth...if not pretty damn close to it. ;)

You can not be the best putter on earth. That is me. At least that is what I tell myself about 18 times a round. Since I am the greatest putter in the world, all I have to do is hit the drive in the fairway, and the approach on the green. I can make the putt from anywhere.:lol:

The truth is I do not always make the putt but it sure makes the rest of the game easier. I putt first in scrambles. I do not want someone to tell me what they think usually.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

You're absolutely right about what you said...putters put different spin on their putts, stroke it differently...lag putts differently, even see the line differently. But seeing the line differently all comes down to how you normally putt the ball in your everyday rounds of golf, and how you're accustomed to seeing things. I feel the break with me feet when I'm walking around the green or around my line so that gives me a different feel to it where guys bend down and look and give their two cents worth. Normally it doesn't jive with what I'm feeling or seeing.

And you're right, it is important to play like you normally do. I keep saying though, playing in a couple of scrambles has completely turned my buddies game around.

I LOVE scrambles!

When I'm playing in a scramble i still play my own game and never really try to murder drives. When I play a normal round of golf I never lay up and always fire for pins anyway so the driver off the deck or punch cut three iron is nothing outside the ordinary. The good thing is when I don't pull them off I don't have to try and get up and down. I have played 5 and 1/2 rounds this year four of which were scrambles (four victories).

I never watch other people putt for the line but I will help them read the putt. If I know xyz player hits his putts with an outside in and open faces his putts or so and so likes to block everything that'll really help them read their putts.

Played in a scramble this past Friday with a buddy who's a decent stick playing off of 4.5 and two of our other copper buddies who couldn't shoot under 120 if their lives depended upon it. The good one hits a driver really well and I proceeded to hit it 35 paces past him (he walked it off). He said "man I hit that one as hard as I could." I replied "I was just trying to hit it on the center of the face." We shot -13 and won by five- donated the first place prizes, closest to the flag, and longest drives back to the second place teams- and had an absolute ball.

The trick is just play the way you normally play. It's just like gambling, once you start winning don't increase your bets, stick with what you're comfortable with.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I play in a social scramble league every week and the nice thing about it is that we've got some folks that are new to the game and, as was mentioned earlier, everybody ends up making at least a shot or two they can feel good about. My partner just started playing this year and made some very nice putts last night, so I think it's a great way to help new players from feeling too discouraged when they're just starting out.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Absolutely agree...

I play in a social scramble league every week and the nice thing about it is that we've got some folks that are new to the game and, as was mentioned earlier, everybody ends up making at least a shot or two they can feel good about. My partner just started playing this year and made some very nice putts last night, so I think it's a great way to help new players from feeling too discouraged when they're just starting out.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

A few thoughts about scrambles:

1. They are great for socializing and they are fun.

2. I don't know about your game but they are not good for my game. But then again I'm not a good scramble partner. I'm normally the A player on my team and I don't have the attribute that everyone looks for in a scramble - distance - my strength is to plod away and make pars, lots of them - not a good scramble strategy.

3. Totally agreed on the higher handicappers - its great for them to get a window into how lower handicappers play and think and they still have a chance to contribute to the cause.

4. I try to play in a few every season but certainly don't go out of my way to play in them - they just don't fit my game that well.

5. If you really want to help a higher handicapper put them in an alternate shot tournament where their partner is a lower handicapper. It's an eye opener for both members of the partnership.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

#5 is a very interesting thought you had. I've never looked at it that way to be honest with you. But you're right, it would be an eye opener for both...

A few thoughts about scrambles:

1. They are great for socializing and they are fun.

2. I don't know about your game but they are not good for my game. But then again I'm not a good scramble partner. I'm normally the A player on my team and I don't have the attribute that everyone looks for in a scramble - distance - my strength is to plod away and make pars, lots of them - not a good scramble strategy.

3. Totally agreed on the higher handicappers - its great for them to get a window into how lower handicappers play and think and they still have a chance to contribute to the cause.

4. I try to play in a few every season but certainly don't go out of my way to play in them - they just don't fit my game that well.

5. If you really want to help a higher handicapper put them in an alternate shot tournament where their partner is a lower handicapper. It's an eye opener for both members of the partnership.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I just posted an article on my site about how scrambles can actually be good for your golf game. I don't think I've ever really believed that until this year. I've seen it with my buddy. His whole mindset and approach has changed and his game is pretty rock solid right now.

So scrambles...good or bad for the golf the game???

They don't help golfers learn the rules!

Archived