TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is Dustin Johnson on a slippery slope?

Golfn' Dude

I actually find it comical how a grown man such as DJ can - what appears - to be having some girl 'interrupt' his world as much as he has. Sure they're 'in love' and all that good stuff but seriously, he needs to get his head out of his butt and start playing.

How does DJ not qualify for the Presidents Cup? So much natural talent and he's not there. And now he's 23rd in the world rankings. Didn't he start the season around 10th or 11th?

I was watching a feherty episode the other day - ray floyd - and he was saying that early in his career he would play hard, play well, win some money, then go off and have some fun. When he needed the money he'd play again, because he knew he was that good. Maybe that's DJ...difference is DJ doesn't need the money. Or maybe he does...they say the more you make the more you spend.

As for the whole paulina thing. People say she's going to rob him blind...I doubt it. I don't think money's an issue for her. Her dad has a networth of $250M. She's good. I actually thought that those two are messed up enough that they may end up being perfect for each other.

Maybe Gretzky ought to step in and tell DJ to wise up and start playing golf. Plenty of time to sit on a beach after golf season.

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I'm a big fan of DJ, and I agree he has yet to reach his potential. However I look at this situation a little differently. Here is a 29 year old guy who just found the love of his life (presumably since they are getting hitched) and no money problems. He's still ranked 23rd in the world, won a tourney this year and raked in over $2.6 mil. If he wants to take some time to bask in the romance of young love I have zero problems with that.

Yes I think he could do better. I seriously think he has the potential to win a few majors and I really believe his best golf is yet to come, but even with not making the Presidents Cup it's not like he had a bad year. Especially when you consider all the changes to his personal life in the last year. I'm really hoping his soon to be Father-In-Law's work ethic will rub off a little bit and he will come back with a banner year in 2014.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Again, who really knows. I do think that the amount of money these boys play for really does help things much. Ray Floyd made a comment that he doesn't really know why these young american stars don't hang around as long. I think it's the money. Assuming DJ is smart with his money, even if he never makes another dime he'll be more than fine.

Whereas back in the Nicklaus, Floyd, etc days they had to play. I think there is that difference in the drive to succeed. There are not that many golfers out there that appear to carry that desire or fear of failure that keeps them playing and working on their game. Keegan Bradley may be the exception there. He has flat out said that his driving force is fear of failure. Can you imagine if DJ had that fear of failure, with his incredible natural talent? Wow!

And i'm all for them enjoying themselves. But I also think it can get to a point where enough is enough. Maybe that's where Gretzky's work ethic will come through. Time will tell.

He definitely has the potential to win a few majors. Love to see it happen.

It was good to read what you had to say.

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

My perception of DJ is the that the game comes relatively easy to him, and I've never really gotten the impression that he really cares that much about it. He just doesn't seem like a real competitor, winning or losing don't seem that important to him. He's had some tough breaks and it didn't seem to phase him much. I don't mean that as a knock on him, there's nothing wrong with going through life knowing that golf isn't the most important thing.

I don't think he's terribly lazy, I'm sure he puts the required amount of time into his game to keep himself where he is, which imo is a guy that can make most cuts and finish on the leader board often enough, and win when he has a good week. With the sponsorship money and the big purses in today's game, DJ doesn't really have to get too worked up about golf. I think he knows that he's going to have some good weeks every year and that's going to be good enough to allow him to live his life how he wants to live it. I don't doubt at all that if he really wanted it, he could do much better.

I don't picture him having a long impressive career, although I expect him to play well from time to time through his mid 30's. He's getting married, if he has kids then all bets are off. He's a long power player who's game imo is always a bit on the verge of catastrophe anyhow. As he gets older and that turn gets a bit harder and the timing gets a bit off and some injuries ding him a bit, and the wife and kids want to go on vacation. . . then we'll see where his work ethic is.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Id agree that he is on a slippery slope. Just like with Rory, DJ has chosen love over golf.

As for Paulina, I think shes dangerous. To me, based upon what Ive heard about her and based upon the pictures theyve put in Instagram, she seems very materialistic and is very much in love with the life that DJ can give her.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

As for Paulina, I think shes dangerous. To me, based upon what Ive heard about her and based upon the pictures theyve put in Instagram, she seems very materialistic and is very much in love with the life that DJ can give her.

Yeah, I think you have that entirely backwards. Paulina has a good 5 times the followers of DJ at least. She's the one that will capture the interest in the first place, then his playing keeps them around then she picks up the baton again and gets the fans to come to the "party" to the next event.

Frankly, it's a diabolically excellent business case, aside from being young and in love (which is blinking fantastic for the both of them) and DJ's marketing appeal and power went WAY up.

I also find this thread refreshing, as it's not another one about Rory on a similair vein.

In short, I'd say DJ is on a slippery slope yeah. One that goes up and leads to a gazillion more dollars. If you mean to being the #1 golfer on the planet? Probably not, and I doubt he cares. As silly as a phrase as I think it is, there's one golf saying that really applys to DJ and that's "playing within himself", not just with his swing but his whole approach to golf and life and it's working for him so fair play.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Looks like he lived to see another day. Hopefully we start seeing more of DJ...

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

Something no one has mentioned he has had a couple of injuries over the last couple of years so that has hurt him in the standings. He has worked hard to get where he is at I can remember his college days at CCU heck he is just taking time to enjoy life and money he has earned. I also think that the fields in pro golf have so much talented players now that it hard to stay near the top day after day week after week no hard you practice. Heck he will be ok

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Why is this even a story?  He teed off in the final group on Sunday of the Tour Championship.  Hellova slippery slope.  27 other golfers that were playing Sunday would have loved to do that.  And that does not even count the guys that were done for the season in the 3-4 weeks before that.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Archived