TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why aren't we talking about Speedblade?

hckymeyer

So I completely missed the whole Speedblade announcement from Taylormade. Just read through Twitter and it's all over the MGS feeds so figured I would pop over here to get the rundown. Nothing on the front page and nothing in the forum so I decided to hit up google. First couple results are from MGS, how come these aren't on the top of the main page right now???

Anyway just thought I start a thread for some discussion. Personally I'm pretty intrigued by them. That being said there is pretty much a zero percent chance of me buying them after getting the Amp Cell's from the MGS review, but part of me is still curious if they could perform better. I know, I'm a sucker for marketing :)

So what does everyone think of the new irons?

MGS write up

Spyzinger's live blog from the event

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

When i first saw them i was like they just renamed the rocketbladez but after reading the write up and looking at pictures they look like they have refined the look and performance. It'll be nice to see the tour version because the rocketbladez tour looked really good, and these have blue in them which is a plus. Even though I've all but settled on the new Nike Pro Combos I will always play something that performs better in the same category

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Still not great looking, but way, WAY, better than Rocketbladez. Hated the ugly yellow. I might could get past that if I really played better with them, who knows. On looks alone, they never appealed to me to consider them though. Maybe I'll try these this next year.

And maybe one of the guys at the round table will put them in play and keep them there. Unless they create a set of F heads for them that are smaller and weak lofted, ain't happening on Tour for their big guns.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I also liked the looks of the older ones. These are pretty cheap looking.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

Kind of an unfortunate time to experience hiccups with a recent software upgrade to the website. We have THE BEST coverage of both the event and the irons themselves. Unfortunately, even though both were published, they've vanished from the front page. We're working on it, but here are the direct links:

FULL STORY: http://www.mygolfspy.com/taylormade-speedblade-irons/

EVENT COVERAGE: http://www.mygolfspy.com/taylormade-launch-event-set-for-600-eastern-tonight/

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This is too funny - I've been so busy the past little while that I haven't been on since last week -

During that time TMag has introduced two new drivers, a line of tees, 8 ball choices and 12 sets of irons. :)

Now the good news - for those wishing to play their equipment there's all sorts of discounted stuff out there. Based on the Rocketbladz reviews I'd say its time to buy away so long as the look doesn't bother you.

By the way T I can relate - we changed IT providers two weeks ago and the glitche are what's keeping me busy at this point.

Good luck - once it's done you'll be ahead of the game.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Its TM. Who cares???

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Let me put it this way, I'm not excited for them but I'm really interested in trying them out and see if they are indeed a stepup from last years.

Last years suffered from 3 things. Chrome finish flaking off, distance inconsistency from the slot and a sound that was shocking at times.

Looks like the chrome issue is fixed by not using Chrome and I'm hoping they've tweaked the polymer enough to sort out the latter two.

The other thing I'm really keen on is trying out the 3 iron. Yeah, it's 17* but look at it this way: it's a GI driving iron. Rather then pony up the $250 that other OEM's want, just nab one of these for $100 or whatever the going rate is. Presto! A GI driving iron for the tee.

Actually, that's a lie. The other thing I'm keen on trying is the set wedges. IMO, other then the Eye2's, the RBZ's had the BEST wedges that pair to an iron set ever. I suspect these are the same as last years with updated looks but I'd still like to give them the run through.

Shameless plug: If TM is willing to deal with Canada again, I'd be happy to do a large review on a set all the way from the 3 to LW

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Let me put it this way, I'm not excited for them but I'm really interested in trying them out and see if they are indeed a stepup from last years.

Last years suffered from 3 things. Chrome finish flaking off, distance inconsistency from the slot and a sound that was shocking at times.

Looks like the chrome issue is fixed by not using Chrome and I'm hoping they've tweaked the polymer enough to sort out the latter two.

The other thing I'm really keen on is trying out the 3 iron. Yeah, it's 17* but look at it this way: it's a GI driving iron. Rather then pony up the $250 that other OEM's want, just nab one of these for $100 or whatever the going rate is. Presto! A GI driving iron for the tee.

Actually, that's a lie. The other thing I'm keen on trying is the set wedges. IMO, other then the Eye2's, the RBZ's had the BEST wedges that pair to an iron set ever. I suspect these are the same as last years with updated looks but I'd still like to give them the run through.

Shameless plug: If TM is willing to deal with Canada again, I'd be happy to do a large review on a set all the way from the 3 to LW

Cant say Ive heard or experienced the chrome finish flaking off or distance inconsistency. If anything they are incredibly consistent. There's no debating they feel and sound different than other irons, but it's not bad by any means. I wouldn't call it great either. As for the horrible sound, that only comes off a horrible mishit.

• SPY VIP

Chrome finish flaking off, distance inconsistency from the slot and a sound that was shocking at times.

Man you had me worried for a second but after a Google search it looks like the chrome flaking off was an isolated incident back in January. I hit these on range mats 4/5 times a week and haven't seen any issues with the chrome. As for distance inconsistency I'm surprised to hear this as I find these far more consistent than most irons I've played to date, especially when hit all over the face. I'll give ya the sound thing as it does rear it's ugly head from time to time.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

The chrome thing has been condensed but there's a swath of people who complained about them and had them replaced. At least a dozen sets out of Richmond GT Dan. Lots of posts over on WRX about the same thing. Frankly, I think that it was down to a piss poor job at the factory which also derailed the numbers for the release of the woods/hybrids.

I know you guys have seen things be consistent, but there's also a number of reports out there where they aren't from other well respected posters/reviewers. Enough to make me hope they worked on the polymer so no one has cause to complain this time.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

The chrome thing has been condensed but there's a swath of people who complained about them and had them replaced. At least a dozen sets out of Richmond GT Dan. Lots of posts over on WRX about the same thing. Frankly, I think that it was down to a piss poor job at the factory which also derailed the numbers for the release of the woods/hybrids.

I know you guys have seen things be consistent, but there's also a number of reports out there where they aren't from other well respected posters/reviewers. Enough to make me hope they worked on the polymer so no one has cause to complain this time.

I did a quick search for "rbladez inconsistent" on Google and found only two posts. Going to look again later. I'm curious about this.

edit: actually one of the posts was talking about inconsistent GI irons and that rbladez defied the norm...

• SPY VIP

Staying out of consistent vs. not debate...

I can confirm that 3M goo is identical to RBladez.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

OK my Golf Town guy just got back to me.

Here's the text:

Talked to both TaylorMade and the pro shop guy in Richmond.... TM says they haven't had the rbladez have the issue and 1 set of r11's that came through the other day....guy from Richmond says he hasn't seen any with that issue come through there

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

There was a guy on another site that had chrome come off a 6 iron and later on a flaw developed in his 5 iron. 71 replied to that. Many saying how horrible it was and how crappy TMag was because of this but no one offered other evidence of this happening. TMag made it right by the way.

One guy did say he had that he had it happen to a Vokey Wedge and you do not hear the mob getting ready to lynch Titleist. Another pointed out that his brand new BMW had a fuel pump go out leaving him stranded on the interstate but did not think all BMW's are crap.

Seems that it is highly more likely that people would post a systemic problem with chrome plating and Taylormade on the internet instead of contacting Sherman, whoever the hell he is.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

This is exactly what i did when i bought my G25 3 iron. I had them strengthen the loft to 18 and use it as a hybrid/driving iron because i didnt wanna spend the 250 for something that might not work. Its in the bag now and working great.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived