Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Perception matters

revkev

I know we've had lots of differing threads about why we play. In a thread that I just perused I saw Apprenti write that anyone who says he doesn't care what he shoots is lying (paraphrased.) I disagree, I think there are lots of people, perhaps even more who don't care what they shoot so long as they have a highlight or too to talk about and embelish upon after the round - I really think that for a whole variety of reasons.

I also think that given the choice of hitting a couple of monster drives and shooting 85 or hitting the ball over the place like crap but holing putts and shooting 79 many people will take the former.

That's not the main point here though - the main point I'm making is that there are certain things that when done well or not will give the perception of good or bad day on the course beyond a doubt.

For example my round yesterday - I shot 80 - highest round in a while - however I hit the ball fine, really quite good, missed only two fairways but both drivers were long enough that I had a look at the green in regulations, hit 11 greens, only one of the misses was bad, so I had 17 great chances to make par with a few birdie ops sprinkled in - the problem was I took 35 putts when I normally take 30.

But I feel good about my round or at least my day - the 35 putts seems so much more fixable than had I hit 4 greens, gotten up and down some extra times but been all over the place.

The reality is that I couldn't finish the deal - I think most players on most days would have returned a 77 or so - no gimmee's in my Tuesday game and I missed 2 or 3 pretty short putts - certainly short enough that if you weren't playing for something you might have been tempted to take them.

I need to hit the practice green and it may be harder to fix my putting issues than a small full swing glitch.

But my perception is that it's not and that I played okay.

Amazing

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hear you. Last week, in the midst of several bad rounds as I struggle to incorporate my revised lessons swing, I had my best round at the Valley course by far (and tied my best round since I moved to Florida). A 40/41 (81) after not having broke 90 in 3 weeks. But, Driver was for sh*t, only had 4 GIRs and only can remember 2 irons that I felt I hit solid and well. Had a couple of good trouble shots and my Frankenwood off the tee was decent after I put the driver away after the 6th hole. But only one "bad" shot and I chipped and putted quite well (29 putts). But the only thing I felt good about the round was the score. I've hit the ball a lot better and scored a lot worse. I feel better about the 'hit the ball better' days than the 'score better days'.

Note also the difference in 'perception' resulting from our different skill levels. Your 80 was a bad score, was your worst in a year, my 81 was a great score, was my best in 7 years!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I'm with Whiskey on this one and I've had both kind of days. Felt I was striking everything well but didn't score, and felt like nothing was going right and ended up in the 70's. I'll take shooting lower every time.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It's interesting you say what you just did. When my buddy run up to Kingsley club to play every few weeks we just play. Sure, we have an idea of what we're doing...in terms of birdies, pars, bogies, and the occasional eagle but for us it's all about hitting shots and having fun.

Since I've been a member there we have never kept score on a scorecard while driving around. Never. Even when we played in scotland we just plugged away and had fun and hit shots. Score was irrelevant at the end of the day...however we knew what we shot BUT we didn't talk about score afterwards and never have. Who gives a crap really. In all the hours we've spent driving together all the talk has been about favorite holes, favorite par-3's, etc, great shots we hit and on and on we go.

Lets face it...nobody on here as a hope in hell of being anything more than that...the dude that plays golf REALLY well but nothing more than that. We're the 3-5% that everyone else wishes they could be. We'll never be the dudes on tour or top amateurs winning everything.

And for those top amateurs winning everything, I apologize...you know what I mean.

I take great pleasure in going out and hitting some fantastic shots and making more putts than anyone could ever dream of...but that's hit for me. Score is irrelevant. Fun is.

I think I may have to write an article about this on my site soon as apparently I'm long winded on the subject... ;)

I know we've had lots of differing threads about why we play. In a thread that I just perused I saw Apprenti write that anyone who says he doesn't care what he shoots is lying (paraphrased.) I disagree, I think there are lots of people, perhaps even more who don't care what they shoot so long as they have a highlight or too to talk about and embelish upon after the round - I really think that for a whole variety of reasons.

I also think that given the choice of hitting a couple of monster drives and shooting 85 or hitting the ball over the place like crap but holing putts and shooting 79 many people will take the former.

That's not the main point here though - the main point I'm making is that there are certain things that when done well or not will give the perception of good or bad day on the course beyond a doubt.

For example my round yesterday - I shot 80 - highest round in a while - however I hit the ball fine, really quite good, missed only two fairways but both drivers were long enough that I had a look at the green in regulations, hit 11 greens, only one of the misses was bad, so I had 17 great chances to make par with a few birdie ops sprinkled in - the problem was I took 35 putts when I normally take 30.

But I feel good about my round or at least my day - the 35 putts seems so much more fixable than had I hit 4 greens, gotten up and down some extra times but been all over the place.

The reality is that I couldn't finish the deal - I think most players on most days would have returned a 77 or so - no gimmee's in my Tuesday game and I missed 2 or 3 pretty short putts - certainly short enough that if you weren't playing for something you might have been tempted to take them.

I need to hit the practice green and it may be harder to fix my putting issues than a small full swing glitch.

But my perception is that it's not and that I played okay.

Amazing

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I love to shoot a good score as much as or more so than anyone but in the end I play golf for fun and so long as I have fun on the course - I'm good.

Not only do I sometimes have more fun when I don't play my best golf I also sometimes have more fun when someone in my group is doing something special.

I'm with you Golfin Dude.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I work hard on my mental game and, while it is good to shoot a good score, lately I have been trying to make my perception about how I played more about process goals than score. If I go through my routine, keep my focus on my shots, back off when I am uncomfortable, see my shots in my mind well before I hit them, etc. I feel good about how I played. The interesting thing is that when I focus well on the process the scores are usually lower too. My attitude is better and I have more fun too because when I hit a bad shot or miss a putt, as long as I went through my preshot and visualization well and had good focus it's ok. if I hit a bad shot I can just shrug it off like "oh well, everyone hits a bad shot sometimes." Better scores and more fun. Who says you can't have it all.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Perception really is everything!

I'm very new (less than a year) and not very good. And I don't mind. I keep up the pace, and don't bother the rest of the group...And rarely keep score if I'm out by myself (except for a general idea, so I know if I'm improving at all).

I have a good time, and I really enjoy the whole "thing" of golf - The game itself, the time on the course with my friends, a day outside, a beer at the clubhouse afterwards. It doesn't get better than that! I might even have the occasional beer at the turn.

I know "me". And I know, sooner or later, I'll get competitive. It's bound to happen. If it does, it does. But for now, I truly don't care how I do. If I hit a nice drive once in awhile, or a decent flop shot, or a nice shot out of the rough (I get a lot of practice with those....) - My day is complete! It doesn't take much to keep me happy, at the moment!

To each his own!

Hal

I say all that and my last round out I managed to stink it up pretty good in spots. At times not so much fun, but when I'm playing the kingsley club really nothing matters. Only wish I could get out everyday. It'd be nice to see where I could get my game to right now as putting is great and short game is much better. Driving is off and on. I tend to go as my driver goes. And I can still amaze myself with how good I can hit my irons at times...and how bad I can hit my irons at times...

I love to shoot a good score as much as or more so than anyone but in the end I play golf for fun and so long as I have fun on the course - I'm good.

Not only do I sometimes have more fun when I don't play my best golf I also sometimes have more fun when someone in my group is doing something special.

I'm with you Golfin Dude.

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

Archived