Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Who has tried Miura Irons?

Golfn' Dude

All this talk about blades got me thinking...who has tried Miura irons? In particular the small blades? I've been threatening to get a set of those at some point in the near future. I'd be curious to see what people's thoughts are...

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I have a set of the Retro-Tournament Blades that I played up until the groove rule. Sweet set of irons.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

I just may have to. They look sweet. I'd definitely go with the 57 series. No question.

The 57 Series(Baby Blades) are one of the three finest irons that I've ever hit. The others are the Royal Collection(C-Forged) Blade(S25C, Carbon Blade) & the Mizzy TN-87s.

Fourth would be the Staff 59s, with the Mizzy 33s then the 68s rounding out my top six, lol.

Getting back to the 57s, yea they were incredible. I only got to hit em on the practice tee, though I got to play two rounds with the RC. I got to play the TN-87s for the month that I was in Ireland/Scotland.

It would be a coin toss between the Royal Collection & the 57s.

No doubt, IMHO, they're the best that Miura-San has produced.

Treat yourself & get em

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

The tourney blades look awesome also. I'm likely just a sucker for punishment and would get the 57 series.

Are they as soft as they say they are?

I have a set of the Retro-Tournament Blades that I played up until the groove rule. Sweet set of irons.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I went with the tournament blades at the time because it was just a classic look. They are softer than any other iron out there.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Great to know...I don't know why I started talking about this because once I start thinking about buying new irons it becomes a dangerous game. ;)

I went with the tournament blades at the time because it was just a classic look. They are softer than any other iron out there.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I have the 57 series Miura Blades with KBS C Taper shafts.

Awesome clubs. Not much else to say really biggrin.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I played a set of mizunos for years, I had a set of Ben Hogen Apex PC's, and KZG ZO blades when I was a +2. I now play KZG Tour Evolutions. I had a serious custom fitting at a place in Hurst TX very close to DFW airport called The Golf Station. I tried all of the Japanese forgings including a few Miura's and I would not use the term soft to describe them. Some of the other Japanese offerings felt like you were hitting a marshmallow. I went with the KZG's because the feel was very similar to what I was used to with my mizunos and my numbers were really good. They were also the best value. All the Miuras felt completely different to anything I have ever hit and what I would call it was really solid. It was both soft and heavy. The impact was very substantial. A muted thud if you will. There were lots of other clubs that felt softer but none that gave the combination of both soft and substantial. It is so hard to describe that this is the best I could do. It's like they pack more metal into the head or something. What other ways would those of you who have hit them describe that feel? I can see why people like them because there is nothing else quite like it.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I've owned a few sets of Miuras and to be honest, while I liked them, to me they're no different than other quality forgings (the Mizzy TN87's, quite a few sets of Hoffmann's forgings(Titleist), and several sets of Mizuno MP33's, 2 sets of Endo forgings for Nike, and a few sets of Adams). I've never felt that the Miuras were any better than any of the other quality forgings, personally.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Since we're speaking of Miuras, I remember thinking about how Miuras looked like they were the greatest irons ever made. That was before I came to this site. Now I realize there are tons of options out there. Miura is quality but that was the first brand I had really heard of where people paid $1500+ for irons.

A more accurate statement hasn't been said, as Apprenti posted similar thoughts. I have hit/played the Tourney MBs and I believe the 501 CBs, and while they were nice, they were not nicer than My 68s, and they sure the hell weren't $1500-2K worth of nice.

I believe that what stood out about the 57s(Baby Blades) was their smaller head design, similar to the TN-87s & my Staff 59s. I just prefer looking down at that profile behind a ball. It has nothing to do with "feel," cuz as I've said many times, I think my ability to "feel" is right up there with my ability to "spin" a wedge, as in I don't have it.

Appearence at address is probably my most influencial factor in my like/dislike for an iron. As f*cked up as that may be, that's my primary determining factor. An iron won't "grow" on me.

I pick it up & lay it down, and I either like it or I don't.

And other than the 57s, all of the Miuras look like the rest, and as for feel, well, they feel like em too, lol

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

This is somewhat like me, if I don't like how it looks at address then I won't game it. Plus for me an iron feels good or it doesn't, I'm not super picky about feel. And I can see how the Baby Blades have a good reputation, they're different. It's unique and not everyone has them. So if it appeals to you then you won't have a problem spending that kind of money. But if you just want a standard blade then go with Mizuno or some other brand and save some money.

That's interesting you would say that. I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been told they're as soft as butter. It would be nice to try them at some point. The small blades look pretty sweet.

I've had three sets over the years- they feel no different than any other iron I've ever played. Don't waste your money as there are cheaper options out there. They're nice, but you can buy a set of irons, a driver, and some wedges for the price of just the Miura irons.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

• 3 weeks later...

pagelayout_blackcb-501.jpg

Saw these on miura's website. They might not be better than any other OEM but they sure do look pretty

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking for the golfing community...

No set of irons is worth $1000+. I'm sorry, but the cost of irons is getting out of hand.

Speaking for the lefties...

Miura is at the top of the forged mountain simply because we have nothing else really to go off of. All the OEMs shaft (np pun intended) the lefty, but I totally understand seeing that we only make up around 10% of the golfing community.

Personally, I thought Mizzys (cavity back, never hit a blade/mb) felt a little heavy at impact and Adams has a horrible definition of forged as their CB2s were the worst feeling forged iron on the market. The CB2s were great irons, but the forged stamp should be removed due to the lack of soft feel. TM, Titleist and Nike all make great forged irons. I thought the Callaways were always feeling like hitting a marshmallow...in other words...not enough feedback.

I got my Miuras slightly used for a great deal. I would never buy them new for the MSRP. I would say, if you find a good deal on them, pull the trigger. If not, go with Mizzy, Titleist, Nike or TM...in that order.

Gone are the good ol days of buying some 845s for $300/set or Ping Zing 2s for $350/set.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

We have a custom club builder that has relocated his shop around the corner from me that specializes in Miura amongst other custom brands. He really pushes them. I have hit some of his demos. I will say they do hit good. To me they hit like the MP-33 soft and buttery. I do like the short irons but don't like the long irons but that is just me.But for $1500 I will stick to what I have maybe if I hit the lottery I would consider it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ive tried the Baby Blades.  Theyre OK, they dont have the feel of Mizunos though and Im not a fan of that fact that the hosels are spin welded.  IMO, it doesnt offer the level of feel that Mizuno's forging process does, where the entire head is forged from 1 piece.

IMO, a lot of people buy into the hype of Miuras because Mr. Miura still hand grinds the heads himself and because he is a, "God hands" (its like saying he is a master head grinder).  Some people believe that the quality is higher because he still is very active and hands-on in the process but for me, the performance just wasnt there.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Archived