Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How to hit a power fade...

Golfn' Dude

I wrote an article about this earlier this evening. Everyone has different ideas.

What do you guys do? And does mine work for you?

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I'm not a golfing guru or a golfing dude. But what you discribe doesn't sound like a recipe for a fade to me. Hitting the inside of the ball for a fade ?

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Try it...it works for a power fade. I'm not talking a slice or anything like that.

There's a better link, without a video, that explains it but it's from another golf forum, so I didn't know the rules or be disrespectful to how open mygolfspy is.

Google power fade vs. fade and you'll see it from there...

I'm not a golfing guru or a golfing dude. But what you discribe doesn't sound like a recipe for a fade to me. Hitting the inside of the ball for a fade ?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

It's how Hogan played...mind you he used a much weaker grip. I've tried it that way and only bad things happen...for me. Everyone is different. I prefer a neutral grip.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

Again, look at my hcp, I know virtually nothing about golf. BUT, yes it is obvious the practice swing from the video comes from the inside, but to me it looks like the real swing is ever so slightly out to in, hence the fade. Not sure though, it's difficult to see in that video, it's so fast, not enough frames. Would be nice to see a high speed recording or Trackman data.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Thanks for the reply...rules of forums can be a little confusing. I guess self serving in the sense of wanting to know what people like to read.

Sorry for the confusion and unintended disrespect...

And by the way...my way of hitting a power fade is still the best. ;)

Have a good one...

Regarding links, X, T, Moe & the rest are great and flexible. You won't find another major site that gives you the freedom that they do.

With one caveat. The link must be sincere and to the true benefit of the members and the forum, and not self serving to the individual posting.

And if that were the case, there'd be more than a few members who would comment, probably before they did, lol

Of course, I don't speak for them.

It's only out if the goodness of their hearts that I'm still here, lol B)

Fairways & Greens Bro

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

No disrespect intended, however I've found that individual "pearls" and tips to be more damaging to the average mid-high hdcper's swing.

Fairways & Greens My Friend

The purpose of a Golf Forum is to provide a place for golfers to come and discuss all kinds of golfing issues. This includes "individual pearls". Having said that 90% (pulling numbers out of the air here) of the golfing instruction and "individual pearls" are harmful not because they are wrong but because they do not fit a particular golfers build. I have only been to one golf lesson in my life and the "instructor" wanted change something I felt would not be beneficial so I had him spend the time on grip posture, and the basic fundamentals.

I also tend to not read about things that I either already do, or feel is not something I need to have confusing thoughts about. So when I want to hit a "Power Fade" I think hit a Power Fade. When I want to hit a draw, I think about hitting a draw. Yes, I do some minor things but really moving the ball an inch either way causes the desired ball flight.

I will say that I made some swing changes in late April early May and then went to Vancouver. The first thing I did was go to the range with Zach and he had some key moves that I had had in my swing before April. He was killing the ball. Of course, he is in his early twenties and relatively fit, and I am 49 and not. I had to change because of back issues, but it created self doubt. Should I go back just for now? Of course, I had week of horrible ball striking.

As part of my penance for going with out the wife to Canada i was organizing my old golf magazines when I came across an article from Golf Magazine from February 2012, called "Find Your Perfect Swing: Forget Ben's 'Single Plane' You have Three paths to consistent contact."

The CliffsNotes on this is to hold your arm against your chest and point your thumb at your shoulder. Your thumb will either be in line with, above, or below your shoulder line. Mine is above. The article says that is because my forearm is longer than my upper arm so I need to have my hands high in the back swing and finish high.

This is contrary to some of the other teachings that would say that because I am a bigger guy I should have a lower swing plane. Bottom line is I began making solid contact, much more solid contact every swing. And with shaft changes and swing changes it has lead to months of solid play.

So you never know which piece of advice is good or bad unless you educate yourself on the different methods and YOUR swing. Swing in front of a mirror, or in my case, I have a glass back door so I can go in the back yard and swing and watch it. We also have a mirror in the living room but my wife has not gotten over the mark on the ceiling.:rolleyes:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My comments were not geared towards low cap golfers because I am giving them the benefit of #1, having a solid, reproducable swing, and #2, not looking for the "Holy Grail" pearl/tip in a golf magazine, practice tee or golf forum.

Cuz they ain't gonna find it, lol

What they need amounts to much more than a single or even string of pearls/tips.

Start with a Class A or qualified teacher

To paraphrase and change slightly a widely recited quite:

"Golf tips are the opiates of the masses of chops"

B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I have never forgotten that the purpose of the articles in golfing magazines is to sell more magazines, not improve golfing.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Perhaps I should have clarified with the power fade...likely not for a high handicap player trying to fix a hook or even learn how to play for that matter. Little tips and tricks like this one are more likely geared towards guys that have been playing for awhile and can get it around pretty good.

If starting out...learning how to hit a power fade is likely not or should not be much of a concern for anyone. Tee it up and let it rip is better. You'll figure the other stuff as you go.

I've been playing this ridiculous game for a long long time...and I'm still trying to figure it out.

You'll get there.

And if you want to get yourself down from a 16-handicap spend more time on the short game. Go with the 80-20 rule of practicing, with the 80 on short game.

Short game from 100 yards in.

Chipping around the greens - different lies and different spots...get good with your sand wedge

Bump and runs from fringe to holes further away...using an 8-iron or whatever you like. even out of lies in the rough where you can get the club on it.

Putting - 5-feet and in, different holes, different locations.

If higher handicap players were honest with themselves I'd bet my last dollar that the list above would 6 to 8 shots around they're throwing away.

Give it a try...Let us know how it works for you...

Again, look at my hcp, I know virtually nothing about golf. BUT, yes it is obvious the practice swing from the video comes from the inside, but to me it looks like the real swing is ever so slightly out to in, hence the fade. Not sure though, it's difficult to see in that video, it's so fast, not enough frames. Would be nice to see a high speed recording or Trackman data.

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I'm likely not that nice. I have woman in my life that would likely say otherwise...

First, your way is the best-

For me, LMAO

"Yours" is the way that I hit one and the only way that I find that I don't have to think about anything else.

Regarding self serving, no, I was referring to someone, and I was not referring to you or I would have said so, however someone trying to guide members to another site that the author benefits from, either commercially or in any other manner.

And absolutely no disrespect taken.

You're one of the most polite guys I've encountered in the forums, and I could probably learn somethin from ya, haha :)

Take care

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

Archived