TESTERS WANTED! ×

Forum Member Reviews! SCOR4161 Custom Wedge Sets, 9i-LW!

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In for Review! - SCOR4161 Wedges

I Love You! I Hate You! I Love You! UHHH! Why did I just throw my non-floating metal wedge in the pond behind the 12th hole green? Since I started to get serious about golf 3 years ago that first statement has summed up my love/hate relationship with the short sticks. It is no secret that the biggest way to reduce strokes each round is by having a great short game, it also happens to be the one part of my game that is the most inconsistent and requires the most amount of practice.

The biggest improvements and strides I made to my game this year is credited to Adam Scott. No, the Aussie and 2013 Masters Champion didn't stop in MN before heading down to Augusta this year, but the short game basics advice and guidance he gave in Julys Golf Digest has paved a yellow brick road to lowering my score. Based on his swing tips and recommendations, I have eliminated extra motion and simplified my swing as I get closer to the green. This has drastically improved my consistency and gave me some new unheard of confidence when approaching a green.

From what I have read about these wedges, the touch around the green will be a whole new adventure for me. Due to limitations in my overall skill and past equipment, I have always had a “bump and run” approach. With my mid-ball flight and lack of spin generation, I have had issues getting a ball to stick on a green. That has evolved my approach shots to hitting a ball towards the front fringe and letting the ball roll up to the pin. If these irons do what they advertise, I should have the ability to effectively pin seek and increase my tap in birdies each round.

The UPS man knocked on my door on day 13 and left me a glorious package of customized SCOR Golf wedges (43, 47, 51, 55, 59 degrees). I opened the door, grabbed the clubs, and immediately started to look for ways to open it as my wife looked at me in disappointment and said, “Jordan, dinner is ready, open that after we eat!” That instantly reminded me of my glorious childhood as one thing that was drilled into me night after night was “no ice cream until you eat your vegetables!” I set the box down and slowly walked to the oven to serve up my plate in sheer utter disappointment; until I then realized the faster I serve, eat, and cleanup, the sooner I get to open these new beauties! In record timing, dinner was over and completely cleaned up in what felt like the longest 6 minutes of my life (first world problems at its finest).

Unbox resize.jpg

Overall packaging in my mind was a bit light. The 5 clubs were firmly packaged in a 42.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 box. The heads of the clubs were nicely protected against dings and other nicks via the head covers provided, but I would have preferred to see a sleeve of plastic over the shafts and grip as my fresh and sticky grips were slightly covered in cardboard dust. This is minor and caused no real damage, but my OCD kicked in and only seemed to get worse as I tried to wipe the dust off, but was only able smother the fine brown dust further into the grip grooves. One of the pleasant surprises that comes with this set is the SCOR Method Solution card and a divot tool that could be used an awfully lot if these wedges hold up to all the hype.

Wedge resize.jpg

These are some very aesthetically appealing wedges. The red grip gives the wedge a bit of flair as the head is very simple and bare (good thing). The imprinted 4161 and V-SOLE, SCOR logo, and loft are nicely placed and mesh together very well on the back and bottom of the club head. I am pleasantly surprised that these look much better than I was honestly expecting. Overall feel of the club is nice and the weight proportion seems very natural as I swing it in my living room.

wedge bed resize.jpg

These guys are tucked away for the night as they will be put under the rigor tomorrow. Hopefully they get some sleep because I know I wont! I am most interested and excited for how the 43 and 47 degree wedges hold up against my Cobra Amp Pitching and Gap wedge. I plan on getting a side by side comparison of accuracy and total distance on the course for each wedge by hitting 10 balls and graphing them out. This should help me calculate average distance from the pin, common mishits, and allow me to compare total yards traveled. This graph should directly show if the SCOR wedges live up to the hype and outperform my GI wedges. My main concern with the short wedges (51, 55, 59) is whether or not I am able to improve my short game accuracy and hit more “golf” shots. I will be looking for the ball to check up on the green and how much spin and ball control I have with shorter approach shots.

Driver: Taylormade R9 8.5° S

Fairway Wood: TBD
Irons: Cobra Amp 4i-9i
Wedges: SCOR 4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Rossie XG

Bag: TBD

PHASE 2: The Official Review

SCOR Golf 4161 – Official MGS Forum Review by JREcklund03

21lofts(2).jpg

PRAISE JESUS (or whatever deity or prophet your religion/non religion worships)! After a long 6 months of sweat, grass stains, more sweat (gosh it gets hot and humid in MN), and a few cold alcoholic beverages of my choice, I have finally broken 90! I played from the Blues in some tough fall conditions, but walked away with 2 birdies on my way to an 89. Did these SCOR Golf wedges live up to the hype and already shave strokes off my game after only a few short weeks?  

Since gaming these wedges, my love/hate relationship has only seemed to grow. These wedges perform drastically different than my last wedges and created a few rounds with a very steep learning curve that included a lot of frustration, a few curse words, and a couple mini tantrums. To help maintain some sanity throughout the review and give comparisons to before and after experiences, here is a chart showing my previous clubs and new SCOR clubs:

$54BF83C5627596F5-1.jpg

I just want to provide a bit about me before we get started. I am 25 years old and am 5'11'' or 6' if my already few remaining and balding hairs are sticking up. Favorite part about golf for me is walking up to a tee box in preparation to grip and rip.  I have driven two par 4 320+ yard greens this year (bit of help off rolls and wind), although I usually am 270-280 yards down the fairway off the tees. I started playing golf seriously a few years ago. I'm not using that as an excuse for some of my terrible scores and habits by any means, but I continue to push my game to new levels through practice, equipment, tips, and forum guidance through MGS. Oh and did I mention more practice? I finally broke 90, so what is my next goal? After improving my game since the start of this journey by an embarrassing 30 strokes, I am simply looking to improve by an astounding 5 strokes; yep I am now playing to break 85. My favorite club in my bag is my driver, which is consistently the best part of my game. My next two favorite clubs would be my Cobra Amp Pitching and Gap wedge. Can these new SCOR wedges really outperform and replace 2 of my favorite 3 clubs?

all 5.jpg

Performance

Full and Half Shot Performance Wedges

Review after review, post after post, everything anyone has to say about these wedges is they simply perform. If something is posted about these wedges online, I have honestly probably read it, as I have done nothing but scourer for information since being selected back on that fateful August 30th. All people have to say is that the clubs live up to the hype. Because of that, my standards and expectations were through the roof and, after a few full shots, I had found one thing: these wedges can improve any golfer's game. Full shot accuracy on these short wedges leaves nothing to the imagination. After a few shots, I was able to get the swing and adjustment down with the new pieces of equipment in my hands and was even surprised that my natural slight fade with wedges disappeared. I hit these wedges straight! Wait what? Yes, I actually hit these straight without having to try and force my wrists or having to aim slightly off center.

When first petitioning for the right to test these wedges out, we were sent to SCOR's website to be fitted for a wedge set. This recommendation was based upon our current clubs' performance. I have what was recommended to me with the distances shown below. Maybe I am being ignorant, but what seemed like a pretty generic multiple choice survey about my 9 iron performance and lofts currently used, you can tell me a loft and distance for the clubs you recommend? Sure, I bet a couple math formulas and pretty basic assumptions will spit out a number and work. But I was actually surprised with how accurate these yardages were. These 5 forecasts were all within 5%. No, they weren't spot on, but to be with 7 yards on the farthest wedge is pretty impressive and not material enough for me to be concerned.

$F05CA0F050466CB.jpg

The one thing that was new and unusual for me with these wedges is the high launch trajectory. I have always had a mid - low launch trajectory with my irons and wedges. I usually gain a decent amount of yardage from rolls because of this and was most likely what caused the 5% forecast difference in distance. These are actually forgiving irons; based on the trajectory and past experience, my mind tells me that if you would miss the sweet spot you should just duff the ball across the ground or fly it far right/left of your target…not the case. Surprisingly enough, even on miscues and mis-hits you still get a good “golf shot” that is only slightly off the mark.

Do you know where to place your hands for a half shot? Do you get confused when gripping the club to only wind up throwing it to the ground and using the old foot wedge? Well look no further than the two white circle system from Lamkin grips! Okay, so enough of the infomercial…SCOR Golf looked at all of the details with these wedges and has come through on the tiniest of details. One thing I actually didn't notice until I was out on the course was two small white circles on the grip. The top circle lines up perfectly with my thumb for full shots while another white circle about 1.5 inches below that is a perfect marker for half shots as you choke up. Little things go a long way to making a great product.

white circles.jpg

F&H Shot Score: (94 of 100)

Pitching, Flopping, and Chipping Performance

In my Unboxing post I mentioned how my love/hate relationship for the short game has only grown over the past years, but pitching, flopping, and chipping (also known as many golfers arch nemesis) is where my short game relationship takes shape. 4 months ago I spent a lot of time working on improving this part of my game and thought I had successfully reduced strokes and improved my consistency drastically. These new wedges showed me how wrong I really was. After 3 weeks of playing with my new SCORS, my scores on the course were not any better than they had been in the past, in fact they were worse! I have struggled to adapt to these wedges over the past several weeks and am now finally just starting to gain some control.

I won't put a lot of blame on the wedges for this as unfortunately it mainly comes down to my ability. Adjusting from a bump and run strategy to the spin control these wedges allow for has been an extreme struggle. This has left wedge after wedge shot land 20 yards in front of me versus the 40 yards I needed as top spin and roll outs were almost completely eliminated. Part of the issue can be explained by the divots I leave; which is more specifically directly correlated to the V-Sole that SCOR uses. On any chipping shot I seem to hardly even graze the ground as the club works as designed and bounces back up off contact. This is an adjustment issue on my part as I am now just starting to get the control and correct swing speed and power down on shorter shots.

P,F&C Score: (90 of 100)

Sand and Rough Performance

Have you ever tried to play golf out of a Japanese Zen garden? Well that's what it feels like to play out of bunkers where I am at. Not fun and not a lot of sand…However the 55 degree was very easy to get up and down as I was able to successfully pick the ball out of the bunker for longer distance shots and dig in enough behind the ball to get some height out of the bunker and finish through strong.

For someone like me who makes my home in the rough, the wedges do not disappoint as they react eerily similar to hitting a shot out of the fairway.  The V-Sole and face of the club glides through the thicker and higher cut grass and performs flawlessly. One thing that I did notice is I lost a touch of control as I lost some spin out of deep roughs. Usually this resulted in me hitting the ball a bit further than expected due to the amount of roll.

S&R Score: (92 of 100)

Performance Notes

It isn't much of a secret or surprise that the short wedges perform better than what I was previously gaming. They have been more consistent from day one and are only continuing to get better as I have worked through the early struggle and aggravation of changing my game plan as I get closer to each green. The spin control and overall performance is great. Pin seeking at its finest!

The biggest area of concern for me was how the 43 and 47 compared to my Cobra Amp Pitching and Gap wedge. As mentioned, I favor my Amp wedges and it would take a lot for me to keep them out of my bag for long. I hit SCOR wedges straight but a bit shorter; while I play a natural fade with my Amps and get slightly more carry. I did a shot by shot comparison and have posted it below. For a comparison I hit 10 full shots with each pitching wedge, rotating every 5 shots. After everything was said and done I took out the outliers which I concluded to be the 1 best and 4 worst shots. Yes, I took out the best shot as well to give a median outlook and show what I consider a more accurate average (based on the assumption even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in a while). The graph tells the story, and to my sad surprise…SCOR won…Distance was a bit short on these shots, but these irons are consistent and the grouping of shots is remarkable.

shot by shot.jpg

One of the interesting differences between the Amps versus SCOR is the club head weight. The Amp is slightly heavier when looking at its static weight as the vast majority of the weight is centered towards the shaft on the inside of the head. This helps maintain a lower swing weight by allowing for a faster swing speed. The SCOR wedges weight is spread throughout the bottom of the sole and is much more evenly distributed. As I touch on in the next section, the static weight distribution difference results in the difference of the overall club face and total club head size.

Total Performance Score: (92 of 100)

Subjective

Looks 

These are great looking wedges, and words don't do them justice so I will let the pictures speak for me here. The top view compares my Cobra Amp Pitching wedge versus the SCOR 43 degree wedge. One thing that you can notice is how much smaller the club head of the SCOR wedge (one on the right) versus the Cobra Amp Pitching wedge (one on the left) The SCOR wedge is roughly about 15.8% smaller and this holds true when compared to all of the wedges I was previously bagging .

topline.jpg

face.jpg

sole.jpg

back of club.jpg

Looks Score: (93 of 100)

Sound and Feel

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling you get throughout your body when you come home from work and your favorite dinner is done, and the whole house smells of it? Yes, that little feeling of amazingness is what it feels like when connecting with this wedge. They sound great and the over feel is remarkable on full shots with the long, mid, and short wedges. The feeling on shorter half shots leaves a little bit to be desired, but still provides a great experience. Shots across the face are very consistent, but you do get a bit of a different feel and thud when hitting away from the sweet spot, but they still provided a better than average flight that was relatively on target.

Sound and Feel Score: (91 of 100)

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

Slim…they're great wedges, but at $135 per club they are priced out of my golf budget. Is $675 for the full set of 5 worth it? Honestly, I would say they are, but not sure I could sell my wife on them (might be easier to ask for forgiveness than permission with these).

LOP Score: (50 of 100)

tree.jpg

Subjective Notes

Not to beat a dead horse, but I want to provide my 2 cents on the head covers. From a marketing standpoint I believe it's a great advertising method that probably doesn't cost that much more than individually bubble wrapping each club head. After playing my first round with these clubs I lost the cover off the 47 degree wedge 5 holes in. Interesting point, I didn't even use that club yet! At 2 wedges per cubby in my bag, simply sliding the 43 degree wedge (which I had used on each hole before I recognized I was missing a cover) in and out was enough friction/force to pop it off another club. Now I still take that with a grain of salt as we are all human and it could have been my error. Did I not have the cover on all the way? Did it slide funny when I took my bag out of my trunk? Did my buddy lose it while jealously looking at my new clubs while I wasn't looking? However, at the end of the day I feel like it is still a smart move as it increases advertising, marketing, and branding by visibly exposing the company to others through the covers being used.

Total Subjective Score: (78 of 100)

Conclusion

Long story short, these clubs have provided one heck of a roller coaster experience. The anticipation and excitement building up to play these was similar to the climb up the track until the first drop off. Like the roller coaster, it's a fast way down as I hit rock bottom when trying to adjust to these my first time out. It has been a slow evolving change to my short game that has been producing results. These wedges are great and have the ability to give all ranges of skilled golfers the ability to finish wedge shots closer to the pin. The Genius 12 shaft is remarkable and helps give the needed touch and control around the greens. Unfortunately I may have to wait a few months to further enjoy these as winter seems to be fast approaching here in Minnesota, but until then we will get some quality time and some practice indoors.

Total Score: (85 of 100)

final pic.jpg

The Five

1. Unfortunately, all of these wedges will go in my bag. The evidence is all there as they play better than my previous wedges and have shaved strokes off my game. It is unfortunate I have to break up with 2 of my favorite clubs as they are now collecting dust in the garage…
  2. I recommend these wedges to any and all golfers. It is not up to me to decide what you spend on clubs and to simply ignore these because they come from a smaller company would be a mistake. The touch and feel with these are incredible. I let my playing partner, a scratch golfer play with these for a round and he loved them. The customizations and 21 available lofts can suit anyone's game.
  3. I will probably disappoint a few and let my green golf colors shine bright when I say this, but I really didn't know a lot about SCOR Golf prior to this experience. One thing that I have learned as I continue to learn and engulf myself in everything that is golf; don't count out the small companies. They are usually the folks doing the biggest work and provide some of the highest quality equipment, apparel, and accessories.
  4. For me, there are 2 features that I would like to see a bit different for the next generation. At the center of controversy, I would like to see a better head cover, something that fits a bit snugger and high end to match the quality of the wedges. Second, I would like to see some customization color options. This is a premium product at a higher end price. Provide the ability for customers to select certain color schemes/patterns/grip colors versus only having one standard wedge look. Now I realize this is something that can be done ourselves, but for someone like me, I would walk away with a finished product that looks like a clown, colors and smudges galore!
  5. The forged grips on the face are my favorite feature of this wedge. The touch, feel, and spin are remarkable and something that I would love to see on SCOR Golf wedges for a long time. The second feature that needs to be on all future SCOR wedges is the Lamkin grip. It is a great grip that feels soft and left my hands and grip very relaxed throughout all of my shots. Great feeling, as I tend to be someone who over grips shots.

Driver: Taylormade R9 8.5° S

Fairway Wood: TBD
Irons: Cobra Amp 4i-9i
Wedges: SCOR 4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Rossie XG

Bag: TBD

On August 5th 2008, the No Fun Police USGA announced a groove rule change that turns an already difficult game into one that's even harder for the amateurs in all of us. Why disallow the Weekend Warrior to have fun by stopping a golf ball on a dime and then digging remnants of the ball out of your grooves? Were the grooves really that detrimental to the millions of amateurs that really just enjoyed the game as it was? Apparently so and ever since then, we have been bombarded with all sorts of milled faces, micro grooves, etc. All I want to do is hit my ball on the green and have it come back on a string…even if I end up 40 ft short.

One positive about living 123.7 miles from Scor Golf is that you get your clubs fast, real fast, as in overnight. My neighbors knew exactly when my wedges arrived as they heard what they thought was a girl in distress screaming when in reality it was just me when I saw the UPS guy approaching my door. I thought I had a few more days to spend with my recently purchased Callaways but when I greeted my new ‘toys', all prior arrangements went out the window. But that's human nature, right? Ever since we were kids, when something newer came along, we immediately gravitated towards it. Your golf buddy gets something new and then all of a sudden you feel inferior. And yes, I had all of these feelings as the great white box was gently placed on my couch and I tore into the box.

My order:

43*, 47*, 51*, 55* and 59*

2* Upright

+1/2”

+3 wraps

KBS Tour Firm +

20130910_151707_20130916222613571.jpg

20130910_151811.jpg

Initial thought:

Those sure are some pretty lil things!

(And yes, I said that in my Texas accent wearing my cowboy boots and hat)

Let's be honest, when we get a set of irons in the mail, how are they packaged? The heads are covered in bubble wrap, grips in shrink wrap and the irons just free to roam around during shipment. How does Scor Golf take it above and beyond? Custom boxes with individual wedge covers. What?!? You mean you don't have to spend 5 minutes with each club to take off the full length plastic, the shrink wrap off the head and grip, and the 3 stickers on the shaft that let you know it's a legit club? Yes, I'm telling you it's as easy as taking off the wedge cover and you're ready to go. Not only that, but Scor has selected the Lamkin 3 Gen grips as their factory stock grip. Kudos to Scor for stepping it up on the presentation and grip selection.

Less is more with the design of the clubs; small, compact, wedge heads, fewer graphics on the club, and a simple face. Yes, everything is bigger in Texas and we like it that way, but these wedges go against our state philosophy and I commend Scor for the overall look to these clubs.

Without a doubt, the short iron replacements are compact. I personally enjoy that aspect of the irons as I have always thought short irons in most sets get inflated in size.

20130910_151930.jpg

I've also never been a fan of NASCAR wedges (I'm looking at you Titleist and Cleveland) with the brand, the wedge name, the loft, the groove type, the sole grind, a horoscope and your lucky numbers for the day stamped all over the club. Scor keeps it simple. My only complaint would be to get rid of the V-Sole stamped on the sole of the club. I like my wedges looking classic and clean. This wedge is almost there.

Now that the initial shock and awe of the clubs has worn off, I'm anxious to throw these wedges through the gauntlet and come away with an honest opinion about them. I'll admit that I've been ‘brand washed' despite a strong desire to fork over some cash or a kidney for James Patrick or Hopkins wedges. I've got the Scors lined up with my current wedge set and ex-gamers as testing will involve a couple casual rounds of golf, a couple $10 Nassau rounds with the regular group and of course, countless hours around the practice green. I'm more than satisfied with my current wedges so it will take a lot to kick them out.

Looks like I have the unfortunate luck of spending lots of daylight out on the course the next few weeks. I hope my boss understands that I will be taking a lot of sick time in the very near future.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Scor Golf 4161 Wedges – Official MGS Forum Review by TXGolfJunkie

scor3.jpg

Just shut up and take my money!!!

Those were my initial thoughts after a quick practice session here in steamy Houston, TX. Did it hold true after my 4 weeks of an intense testing of these Scor wedges? Well, y'all will soon find out.

I'm a scratch golfer residing in the 11-month golf season here in south Texas. I've played for 20+ years and every time I step foot on a course I love the challenge this game brings me. I've competed in everything from PGA qualifiers, USGA events, local amateur championships and college national championships all the way to the shadiest of shady oil & gas tournaments and the smallest of charity scrambles benefiting a local cat shelter (true story).  I love winning a long drive competition in a Florida scramble, but more so I love wooing my playing partners when I can stick a 60-100 yard chip close enough for an easy tap-in. As I enter my mid-30s, I enjoy the game as a means to build relationships both professionally and personally. My boss knows to never ask me to come in early in the mornings, but there's no such thing as too early of a tee time. In my opinion, the best time to play is at sunrise and be the first to walk the course or in the waning hours of the day when you play until you can't see the ball anymore.

As I get older, my days of buying/trading in golf clubs have given way to actual investing in golf clubs. I use to take my pay check to the local big box store and find that next driver or set of irons to improve my game half a stroke. Not anymore. I don't jump on the latest craze; I go with what works with my swing and what's appealing to my eye. I will say, other than my putter, I haven't bought a single club in the last 3 years without first consulting MGS. Unbiased reviews are hard to come by, but they are all over this site.

Anyone can sit on a driving range and hit bombs all day. We all feel good when we can hit it to the back of the range, but everyone from the beginner hack to the club champion knows the scoring is from 150 yards and in. We don't practice it enough. Why? It's not glorious. It's boring. It takes away from time attempting to gain 5 yards off the tee. Plus with drivers now being adjustable, I would rather tinker with loft and lie settings on my driver than hit sand shots. Most of the blame rests with the golfer, but the remaining part resides with club manufacturers. Go to a store or surf the web and what do you get? The same wedges in maybe 2 different finishes, 1 sole option and about 5 or 6 different lofts. If you're as fortunate as me and play left handed, your options drop drastically. Enter Scor Golf and their wedge system.

The Scor wedges (43*, 47*, 51*, 55* and 59*) were up against my current set of Miura LH Cavity Back irons and Callaway CC Jaws Wedges in 52* and 58*

scor10.jpg

Full disclosure, all of my reviews were based on what I felt in my hands, saw with my eyes, and processed between the ears. The month long review took place over my twice weekly practice session, 3 recreational rounds and 2 tournament rounds. There is no technical data to support my claim, but I am not a numbers guy other than selecting a driver.

Performance

Full and Half Shot Performance – When I judge any sort of iron or wedge, I rarely look at total distance as my main focus is overall consistency. If there is anything above a 10% variation in yardage, I am hesitant to put it in my bag. Now I know that swings can vary, but when I put a good swing on the ball, I want to know that I am landing that shot at a set distance. It's been interesting to see club companies bump up their lofts to increase distance for the golfer. Pitching wedges use to be about 48* and now I see some all the way up to 44*. I really enjoy the fact that Scor stamps their clubs with the actual loft instead of a club number. Am I a fan of the KBS shaft? Yes and no. I fight a high ball flight and that's why I stick to Dynamic Gold X100. The KBS was consistent but a tad high for my liking, especially on the full shots with the 43* and 47* wedge. KBS is having great success on the tour and with amateur golf so this stock shaft is a great offering for the general public. The overall accuracy with the full length shots were spot on. Good swings = good shots = compliments from playing partners with these clubs. I will say that on the lower lofted wedges (43* and 47*), the miss hits had a pretty substantial loss in distance and the ball flight was a weak flare. I would say a toe shot lost about 10% of distance which is where I would put a Titleist Vokey or Ping Forged Tour wedge. If I catch my gamer 9-iron on the toe, I usually lose about 5-7% of total yardage but 10% leaves me short in a bunker or water hazard. In my first tournament, it costs me a few strokes taking shots at tucked pins and leaving them short sided. Take it for what you will, but the forgiveness on the higher lofted wedges was a lot better.

Miura 9 iron (top) vs. Scor 43*. The Scor 43* wedge/9i replacement is very compact compared to the Miura.

scor1.jpg

The V-Sole really keeps the wedge from digging too deep on full shots. The ground is generally soft and sand based here in Houston so if you attack with a sharp leading edge, get ready to take a monster divot. I've always had a high ball flight with a ridiculous amount of spin. Sure spin is fun to show off to friends, but what good is it if you come up short? These wedges actually reduced my spin to respectable levels. For the past decade I would hit a full wedge, only to have it back up 10-15 feet. The shots with the Scor wedges hit once and stopped dead in their tracks. Credit improvement in golf balls, firmness of the greens, or whatever you like, but I credit Scor for giving these wedges enough spin control on the full shots but not an overt amount to ruin a great shot after the ball backs up 15 feet from the pin. Also, these wedges won't tear up your precious $4 Pro V1s. Sure you will scuff them on a full 55* or 59* shot, but the other wedges hardly made a scratch.

Full Swing Score: 85 out of 100

Pitching, Flopping and Chipping Performance – I've always carried 3 wedges in a pitching, strong gap and a weak sand/strong lob. For over 7 years, I've bagged a 46-48* PW, a 51* gap and 58-60* sand/lob. I felt that I could hit any shot imaginable from 135 yards and in with those 3 wedges. Ha! The addition of the 55* wedge to my bag has been a lifesaver. Sure I will miss carrying a 4 iron, but having this many wedge options can really open up one's game. Off the short grass, I have had great results on long chips with the 51*. Most of my shots were with a square face as it was easy to control the trajectory and spin from various distances. If I hit it off the sweet spot, the ball flew further but with a great deal of spin to check. If I caught it off the toe, it didn't fly as far but had a reduced spin on it so the distances off the sweet spot and toe were about the same. The 55* is great in short rough and around the green to tight pin locations. Even hitting shots with a square face on the 55*, the spin was very predictable. My best shots in both my recreational and tournament rounds came from the 59*. Open the face and hit a high soft lob or close down the face to hit a chip that stops on a dime. I found the 51*, 55* and 59* wedges to cut though any turf and be able to hit with confidence. A big part of the clubs around the green is the consistent spin I get off the clubs. I don't get an unintended check-up on a chip or watch a bunker shot go running past the pin. Consistency is the name of the game with the higher lofted wedges. Once you work with the wedges for a couple of practice sessions, you will be thoroughly impressed with the feel and spin control around the greens.

Face comparisons with (left to right) Cleveland CG15, Scor 4161, and Callaway CC Jaws

scor2.jpg

Pitching, Flopping and Chipping Score: 90 out of 100

Sand and Rough Performance – This is where the Scor V-Sole really comes into play and helped me considerably in my tournaments. I appreciate what Callaway is doing by introducing different soles to their wedges but I am really impressed with what Scor has developed. Yes, Eidolon developed the sole years ago but as a first time user, it's really impressive out of sand and the deep rough. Opening the face of these wedges and swinging with confidence, you know the sole will stop the club from digging and allow you to hit a consistent shot.  Just comparing this wedge to my Cleveland CG15 and Callaway Jaws CC with a neutral sole there was a significant difference in performance, especially out of the sand. The wedges are a great swing weight while being heavy enough to maintain control through thick grass or soft sand. The spin control coming out of the thick stuff and sand was pretty consistent. I wasn't overly wowed by the amount of spin from the wedges, but after a few shots, it was easy to predict the rollout given the type of lie. Obviously you are going to get plenty of spin off of the short grass with just about any wedge on the market, but I would put this wedge up with the best of them when it comes to spin off the 55* and 59* out of thick stuff and off the beach.

Scor's V-Sole is not just a gimmick.

scor6.jpg

Sand and Rough Score: 95 out of 100

Subjective

Looks – I am all for a traditional shape in my irons and wedges. I think Scor read my mind when they designed their clubs. These clubs are not as small as a Mizuno bladed 3 iron or as big as a Cobra Big Trusty Rusty but a nice median between the two. Gone are the laser micro grooves, the spin milling of the face or other gimmicks that wear off after your first month of use. Sure, I think a few of the stampings could be removed but overall at setup, these clubs look great. No offset, a slim topline and no visual distractions really put me at ease when I'm about to hit my shot.

Top line view comparison with Scor 4161 (left) and Miura

scor5.jpg

Looks Score: 90 out of 100

Sound and Feel – Have you ever hit a shot and wondered if you even made contact? I had a few of those experiences on a few full 43* and 47* shots. Granted I was playing with a Pro V1x, but these wedges are so soft and muted at times, I wonder where I hit it on the club face. I prefer a good bit of feedback if I catch it out towards the toe or high on the club face, but it's consistent around the sweet spot so I can't fault them for that. Personally, the off center shots don't need to be a clang, but a more of a click feeling to tell the golfer why their shot fell a bit short of the intended distance. The feel really improved in the higher lofted wedges. As soon as I made contact, it was instant feedback on where I caught it on the face.

Sound and Feel Score: 85 out of 100

Likelihood of Purchase – Remember earlier in the intro when I talked about switching from buying clubs to investing in clubs? This is it. Yes, these wedges are expensive. I can't get passed the $150 price point ($135/each if purchased in multiples) but if these wedges perform in a consistent basis and show a longer life on the face than most OEMs, then yes, I would consider these wedges on my next go around. They would definitely be an investment that I would keep in my bag for a long time. We all know golf is expensive and when you can find prior year models on discount golf sites for $50/each, Scor is a hard wedge to sell to the consumer.

Likelihood of Purchase Score: 80 out of 100

Subjective Notes – Overall, I would put the higher lofted wedges up to anyone for feel, spin, and looks. I commend Scor for creating a forged wedge with an active, universal sole that fits a wide range of handicaps. The feel of these wedges are on the soft side so I would compare them to a Vokey or Scratch. They are definitely softer than a Callaway, Ping or Cleveland. The lower lofted wedges were a bit tougher to get accustomed to so at the time of this write up, I can't put them in the same bucket as the gap, sand and lob wedges due to the lack of forgiveness and loss of distance on miss hits. I will say that Scor has a great online fitting system that allows golfers see the gaps in their current setup and adjust accordingly. I never thought I needed a fourth wedge in my bag but after this past month, I will never go back to just three wedges. The fitting is a quick 5 minute setup but it allows you to tinker with wedges recommended to fill in the gaps. We all know that full length shots are the easiest for distance control, so why not hit a full 55* wedge instead of trying to hit a knock down 51* wedge? It's amazing what an extra wedge can do to one's game in such a short amount of time.

Total Subjective Score: 85 out of 100

Conclusion – In the end, the jury is still out on the 9 iron and PW replacement, but the higher lofted wedges (51*-59*) are in my bag until the grooves are worn out. They're that good. When you can find a wedge that has as consistent spin and feel as these do, you bag them immediately. It's a shame these Scors are so good because I just purchased a set of Callaway Jaws CC wedges 2 weeks prior to this demo and now they will sit in the corner of my closet next to my collection Cleveland, Titleist and Ping wedges. I won't go as far as saying these wedges will work for everyone but if you're ever in the market for new wedges, you are doing yourself an injustice if you don't at least consider these wedges.

Total Score: 87.5 out of 100

The Five:

1. Will this iron go in your bag? Why or why not?

In all honesty, I will need to get more comfortable with the 9 iron and PW replacement before I bag it. The pear shape design and bowed leading edge of the 43* and 47* is a struggle to get accustomed to. Otherwise, the 51*, 55*, and 59*will have a permanent place in my bag.

1. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this iron? Why?

The wedges should be given serious thought to all golfers on their next round of wedges. I have a feeling the higher handicap folks won't like the compact designs of the 9 iron and PW replacement, but the wedges are just great all the way around.

1. How, if at all, did this iron change your overall impression of Scor?

I have always had a soft spot for the small boutique golf company. I've bagged SeeMore, Scratch, Sonartech, and others in the past but the small niche companies do have hidden gems that most people are unaware of due to lack of marketing. Scor is just another one of those guys who do one thing and do it great.

1. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Clean up the look of the wedge. Get rid of the V-SOLE stamp on the sole and do something about the iron covers. They are cheap looking and there are other cost effective alternatives.

1. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolaved in future models?

I am really keen on the feel and consistency of the clubs. You keep that up, and I don't care what you do in future models. Keep it simple with the design but they are on to something down at Scor.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

In For Review: SCOR4161

Phase 1: Unboxing

This year will be my fourth year of playing high school golf and my third year as a varsity letterman. As a result, I have a fair amount of experience playing against other teams and other players in various tournaments and high school matches. People at the varsity level of high school golf take their equipment seriously and I am no different, maybe even more so than others. In fact, I've gained a reputation of being an equipment freak (on my team) because compared to everyone else, I am always researching and am a bit nosy about other players' clubs. I can spot tour issued clubs from across the range. Of course, here at MGS this is considered normal behavior.

I am always looking for something to give me an edge over other players and to help me play the best within my ability. I have been pretty satisfied with my current setup lately, but again, I always research and look for other possibilities. When I first heard of SCOR, I thought it was an interesting concept to have clubs built for your short game, each individual club designed differently. I wanted to try them but none of the golf stores I go to carried them so I was left wondering how they would play.

Then I saw this opportunity to test them on MGS and thought, “I need to try these.” So I got my specs from SCOR's website and posted my plea on the testing thread. I was very excited when I found out I was picked to test SCOR wedges, so you can only imagine how it felt to wait for the clubs to arrive. It really only took a week, but after one long day of school, I came home to a white cardboard box sitting in my backyard. I brought it inside and immediately opened it up, remembered to take some pictures, and then admired the looks of these clubs.

99e23cc3-a58e-4ca8-b5f8-504f12951946.jpg

My initial impressions of these wedges are very good. First, I want to say that these wedges came nicely packaged. They were lined up nice and it was a nice touch to see that the heads were protected by headcovers. I don't care that they weren't in bubble wrap, plastic, etc. I all cared was they came intact. I also like that SCOR included a divot tool and a card to mark down your yardages; it was a nice touch.

9A8F85A1-ADB0-4D18-830C-E2122A84CD26-482

The red, black, and chrome look of the wedges really caught my eye. I liked how the Lamkin grips matched the red striped ferrules and helped make them stand out against other wedges on the market.

8c7125cf-c692-4d66-9b38-833e7ae0d700.jpg

The heads were pretty clean overall with a nice brushed chrome finish and they look nice at address. The heads are a round shape and the toplines on these clubs are pretty good for the most part. While it's not the thinnest topline, I wouldn't call it that thick either. I'll admit it's more noticeable in the 57 versus the 41 but I can live with it. This may turn some who want a very bladey lob wedge off. Finally, I have heard good things about KBS shafts and am looking forward to comparing them against the Dynamic Golds I usually play.

48b6b3ef-8716-4e91-a927-72c679c578b7.jpg

One feature of the Scors that stood out is how the indent in the back of the heads progressively gets bigger and deeper as the wedges decrease in loft. If you are familiar with the Mizuno MP-69 irons and their design, it looks similar to that. I like how Scor has taken the time to really design each head differently, which is not something every major OEM does. For example, except for the grind, Vokey wedges all look the same, regardless of loft. This isn't to bash Vokey wedges because I respect them and do game their wedges, but this is something Scor does differently.

There aren't really any major cons about the looks of the wedges. The only thing I would change would be to get rid of the stamping on the hosel and maybe get rid of the “V-Sole” stamp on the sole. Otherwise, Scor kept the wedges clean in their appearance where some other brands can get a little busy with the looks. I like very simple looks when it comes to clubs so that's why I'm picking on that. The only thing that could be changed would be to make the topline on the higher lofted wedges slightly thinner.

I'm looking forward to putting these clubs through some testing and it'll be interesting to see if these are indeed worthy of entering my bag. 

Phase 2: Official Review

SCOR 4161- Official MGS Forum Review by

whiskey golf

Introduction

Some background information on me, I'm a senior in high school and I'm a fourth year member of our golf team. This upcoming season will be my third year on varsity and I hope to make captain, especially since I'm the only senior on the team. I live in Southern California so I am very fortunate to be able to play in nice weather year round. I take my academics very seriously so the amount of practice I'm able to get in can be limited. I have been trying to get out and play more lately in order to really improve my game and try to put more focus into each session rather than just beat golf balls 5-7 days a week. I am also taking my short game more serious and putting more work into being able to get up and down from off the green.

I have been fit for most clubs in my bag including driver and irons but never wedges. I just went with the tried and true Vokey and put that in the bag without a second thought. So when I first heard of SCOR on MyGolfspy, I was intrigued and immediately wanted to try them but had no luck of finding them in any golf store. So I was very excited when I found out I was selected to try out SCOR wedges. I couldn't wait to put them to the test and see whether they lived up to their claims of improved short game performance.

Here the specs of both the SCOR set and my gamers

SCOR Set

Lofts: 41, 45, 49, 53, 57

Shaft: Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120 gram)

Length: .25 inches over

Previous Set

9 iron (40 loft)- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

PW (44 loft)- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

GW (49 loft)- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Shaft: Dynamic Gold XP S300

Titleist Vokey SM3 54 degree

Shaft: Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM4 58 degree

Shaft: KBS Tour Stiff flex

C41555F7-1BDA-40DD-871E-C37BE39263C6-100

Performance

Full and Half Shot Performance

The first thing that stood out to me with the SCORs was the accuracy on full shots as well as partial shots. The SCORs held their line very well and allowed me to take aim with confidence on approach shots or long pitch shots into the green. The other thing that really stood out was the consistency with distance. First off, I had no problem with the transition from the 9 iron replacement to my current 8 iron. The 9 iron replacement went the same distance as my Mizuno 9 iron. Also, my distances were really dialed in with the SCORs and were much more consistent than my prior short game setup. Even on offline shots, the distance would be exactly pin height, which would leave me with a much easier chip than if it was short of the green. So far with the rounds I have played with the SCORs, none of my shots have been drastically short on mishits. I was also glad that my distances didn't change drastically so there wasn't much need for adjustment. The 41, 45, and 49 degree wedges went the same distance and had about the same trajectory as my previous setup. The 53 and 57 degree wedges went a little bit farther than my Vokeys which was a welcome change. I attribute this to the stronger lofts and the slightly more piercing flight on full shots.

Forgiveness on the SCORs was pretty good for a blade. The forgiveness in the 53 and 57 degree wedges was pretty much the same as my Vokeys. However, in the stronger lofts, they were a little less forgiving than the JPX 825 Pros, but this isn't unusual because of the muscleback design. I am still able to play these clubs with confidence so I am not worried about the switch from a cavity back to muscleback. Spin was good as far as I could tell. I am not the type of player who can fully control their spin or make it stop on command. But I noticed on full and partial shots that these clubs are able to stop the ball pretty quick after a small hop or two. I am sure that someone who has full control of their spin would be able to stop these on command and control their spin well.

Overall, I am able to control my shots very well with the SCORs and I have noticed a good improvement on my full and partial shots.

93/100

13B346BC-E9BC-4B27-9B26-9D5FDE87128E-100

Pitching, Flopping, and Chipping

On specialty shots such as flops, pitches, and chips, I was able to maintain good accuracy and keep good control of the ball. As mentioned before, distance consistency is very good with SCOR. I am able to get the ball in a proximity close enough to where I'll have a makeable putt. This wasn't always possible with my previous clubs. There would be times I would have a good shot but the distance was inconsistent. With SCOR, I shouldn't have to worry about that. The biggest thing I liked about SCORs in this category was on chip shots. The heavier feeling of the clubs helped smooth out my shots and I felt more confidence in getting the ball close to the hole. Spin on the ball is better with SCORs on my pitches and flops but I didn't notice a huge difference on chip shots but this doesn't matter much because I can still control my chips very well.

For bounce, I will admit it took some getting used to. The V-Sole dug on most of my shots and this was very frustrating. I lost confidence on my shots as a result and thought there was no way I would be able to play these clubs. I gave them more chances and they started to improve. It was more frustrating than I would like but I'm glad they were able to work out in the end.

85/100

912D0359-D84C-4FAA-8069-CFF3BD2F81A5-100

The V-Sole that SCOR utilizes worked from every lie I have encountered with playing them. On shots from the rough, I was able to cut through the turf easily and didn't have any problems with digging (after getting used to them). I feel confident that the SCORs will be playable in most of the lies I encounter throughout the courses I play.

For bunker play, the SCORs felt a little easier to get out of the sand. I am a horrible bunker player and my shots are usually very short of the hole so I can't comment too much on the SCORs in this aspect. The first time I practiced with the SCORs, I was able to easily get out of a bunker and tried it from soft, average, and hard lies. I think the V-Sole made this much easier and now I have more confidence when I have to hit out of a bunker.

90/100

19082798-9DA7-4235-8E31-3FA64493A6F2-100

Overall the SCORs really held their own against my Mizunos and Vokeys. I was very impressed with the improved accuracy and consistency of distance with these wedges. I wasn't sure how much these would improve my short game but I am pleased to say that I have seen advantages with these clubs over my gamers. 

Total Performance Score- 89.3/100

350F9C32-E145-42B2-96E4-8C9879DBC2BC-100

Subjective

Looks

I would label these heads as on the smaller side. The higher lofted wedges are a little smaller than my Vokeys and they have a rounded/tear drop shape. The lower lofted wedges are not as rounded but still maintain a rounded profile overall. The topline is thin for the most part. The toplines on the lower lofted wedges are thinner than my Mizuno JPX 825 Pros but I would but them in the category of a players cavity back, not quite a blade. The toplines on the higher lofted wedges seem to be a little thick even though they are actually thin. It may be a mental thing but to me, they seem a little thick for that loft range.

Offset is about the same compared to other big OEM models in the higher lofted category but once you head into the lower lofted category, the offset becomes a little more noticeable. It's not bad but I do notice it.

SCOR kept these wedges pretty clean overall which was a huge plus. There are a couple stamps that I would get rid of but I can live with them. These include the V-sole stamp and the hosel stamp.

A couple things that I appreciate about these clubs are the red grips and red striped ferrules. The red Lamkin grips are a nice change from the standard black and I like that they went with a respected company. The same goes for the ferrules, it's a nice change from all black and the red isn't noticeable at address so it won't be distracting and it offers a more eye catching factor.

Overall the looks of these wedges comes together really well. There are those who may want to tweak a few things and while I can say that I would agree on that in certain aspects, the looks would not prevent me from buying these. Compared to other wedges on the market, I would say that these can compete with other major brands like Titleist, Cleveland, etc. I will admit though that I am in favor of some other brands as far as looks go but I still believe that SCOR did an excellent job in designing these clubs.

90/100

E8C93F16-A5CD-4E21-8D04-4F72EB4A394F-100

Sound and Feel

SCOR wedges are nice, soft feeling clubs. At first I didn't notice a difference but after spending time with them, the feel started to grow on me. They are softer than my Vokeys, which is to be expected since SCORs are forged and Vokeys are cast. I've never tried other forged wedges so unfortunately I can't compare the feel of SCORs to other forged wedges. I will say that the feel compared to my Mizunos is pretty similar, very soft feeling. The feel going from Vokeys to SCORs was a pleasant change and this allowed for a better transition from my Mizuno irons to wedges due to their soft feel. As far as mishits go, they aren't the most punishing clubs. You can feel mishits but they aren't as harsh compared to other clubs which is a bonus considering these are muscleback design so they will offer control and a slight amount of forgiveness.  

The sound coming of the face is good as well. It sounds like a good forged club should sound. I find that it has quiet, soft sound when struck well and even mishits weren't too loud or harsh. SCOR wedges have a great combination of both sound and feel that deliver a great sensation on those well struck shots.

One thing that I do think is worth mentioning is the weighting of these clubs. I noticed that SCORs have a heavier feeling in the head and I have grown to like this a lot. Other people have noticed the same thing when I showed them the clubs and they like it as well. I noticed it gives a more stable feeling on chips and it allows me to keep a smooth swing. It'll be hard to go back to a lighter weight after using SCOR.

93/100

912D0359-D84C-4FAA-8069-CFF3BD2F81A5-100

Likelihood of Purchase

I would say that I would and wouldn't pay for these clubs after testing them. I personally would purchase the 57 and 53 degrees and possibly the 49, but I could live without the 45 and 41. I really liked the 57 and 53 wedges because of the heavier head weights and the way they felt on partial shots. As I get into the 49, 45 and 41 range, I stop using partial shots and use mainly full shots only. This is where I don't see a huge benefit over my Mizuno set. I would most likely pay for a wedge or two and maybe work my way to more wedges if needed but I wouldn't flat out pay for a full set of 5 wedges.

60/100

Total Subjective Score- 81/100

Total Score- 85.15/100

Questions

1. Will these wedges go in the bag?

I think that the 57 and 53 wedges will be here to stay for good. As of now, I'm a little unsure about the 49, 45, and 41 wedges. I will have to play more to get a full feel to see if they are good enough to be in the bag.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend these wedges?

I would recommend these wedges to those who could use more consistency in their short game and want to try something new. I would tell them to give them a try and really work with them before buying a full set. I would not recommend these for beginners or those who struggle to hit the ball consistently, at least on the stronger lofted wedges.

3. How, if at all, did this iron changer your overall impression of SCOR?

I wasn't sure what to think of the brand SCOR before this test because I have never tried any products from them. I am glad to say I now have much respect for them for making a quality product that can easily compete with other big golf manufacturers.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

I wouldn't change much with these clubs but if I could do whatever I want with them then here would be really cool suggestions. First, I would eliminate the “V-Sole” stamp, the hosel stamps, and even the “4161” stamps. I would just leave the loft stamp and the “SCOR” stamp to give an even cleaner look. I also think it would be cool if SCOR experimented with more lofts such as 8 and 7 iron lofts and maybe super lob wedges, like 62-64 degrees. The idea of a full iron set sounds really cool as well. Finally, it would be nice if these clubs were offered in a black nickel type finish, just for variety.

Honestly though, there's nothing that really needs to be changed with these clubs so don't take my suggestions seriously. It's just some features to dream about but I think a lot of us do that with every club that comes into our hands.

One thing that I think should be changed however is in regards to their website. When you type in your iron specs to see you results, they ask for the model of your irons and if you had the length and lie changed. I found it strange that they didn't ask for any changes in loft because if you had your irons bent really strong, this could affect gapping a lot. I would add a section for loft changes in order to get more accurate results.  

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I really like the weighting of the clubs and think they should keep that overall feel in the future. I also like the idea of the sole design and think this should stay the same. Most of the features on SCOR wedges should remain unchanged unless there is a true benefit in performance from a change.

PHASE 1: Unboxing

My Dad always said “Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades” So why do golfers spend thousands of dollars in the pursuit of “Close”? I think Dave Marr said it best.

"Golf's three ugliest words: Still your shot."-Dave Marr

Much to my wife's dislike, in my quest to get “close” I have turned our only guest room into what resembles the stockroom at most big box golf stores. Wedge after wedge, week after week! This has to stop! As my wife often tells me, if I would leave a club in my bag longer than a few week I may even get used to it. I tell her that I'm trying to ride a perpetual honeymoon period with my golf clubs… She is not buying it!

When MGS offered the opportunity to review the SCOR4161 system I was very excited to be chosen especially when I saw this:

scor.jpg

21 feet closer! YES PLEASE! I will take 5 feet closer… As a 15 handicap I can use all the feet I can get especially when it comes to short game. I think that the tighter gaps will give me more options for full shots and less knee-knocker half shots and that may even improve my scores! Will these Scoring clubs get me to my goal of not saying, “still me?”... Or will they end up in the Stockroom? Only time will tell. I can't wait for the journey.

After the other testers started getting their wedges I had a hard time getting anything done at home - I had to stop whatever I was doing every 10 minutes to see if the UPS driver was coming to the door. The good news is that we all got them pretty fast, when I heard that Whiskey had received his I knew my time was near.

outdoor 1.jpg

Thursday was the day! I was making dinner when I heard that diesel engine idling out front of my house and I was giddy. The driver had a white box in his hand about the size of five wedges, give or take. I ripped into the package… after I signed for it of course! The guys at SCOR Golf had packed the wedges up very nicely - each wedge had a SCOR4161 head cover to protect it during shipping, I mean they can't expect me to use them during a round of golf, right? It was a nice little touch though. Also they included a little bag tag to keep your distance for each SCOR4161 club as a reference and a pitch mark repair tool, apparently I will need it! I hope they're right.

Initial Impressions

I took each club out and inspected it and I must say that they are great-looking clubs. Internet pictures don't do them justice. They have a really nice finish, not chrome but not satin, just right, the paint fill is nice… I may even leave it alone! I have never used Lamkin Grips but they felt great, the only thing is that I got mid-size +4 wraps, instead of standard +4 wraps so the grips are huge! The ferrules are a nice black with red stripes and really bring the whole package together. I gave them the required living room waggle, followed by my wife saying “no golf in the house,” followed by me going outside. Sorry dear! I was excited by the weight of the wedges, I love a heavy wedge. They felt great on front-yard swings and I couldn't wait to get them on the course - the nice thing about getting the wedges on Thursday is that I have a regular game on Saturday so I wouldn't have to wait long.

SCOR4161 Scoring Clubs:

• Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120 grams)

• Firm flex

• + ¼”

• 3 up

• Standard Grip +4 wraps

www.scorgolf.com

outdoor 2.jpg

I'm super excited about testing out these Scoring Clubs. If there is anything in particular that you guys want to know I'd be happy to try to answer it through testing, just let me know. I plan to get on Trackman next week and get some numbers to go along with on-course testing.

Thank you so much to SCOR Golf, MGS and WD for this great opportunity… Now off to put them through their paces!!!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

PHASE 2: The Official Review

SCOR4161 – Official MGS Forum Review by walkerjames

bag3.jpg

Intro

A little about myself- I am a 32-year-old, 15 handicap, originally from Calgary Alberta, Canada, who is now living in Los Angeles, CA - due to the good fortune of meeting my lovely wife in San Diego. My Dad moved to San Diego when I was a kid, and ten years ago he fulfilled a lifelong dream of opening a sports-bar after working for 40 years in Sports Production – honestly, I think he just needed a place to put his sports memorabilia!  In 2006, while visiting my Dad and trying to eat and drink as much free drinks and grub as I could in the few weeks I was there, I met my future wife.  When the choice was living in Alberta versus moving to California … California got the nod and my golf game was thankful!  My annual rounds of golf have increased 10-fold; I play every Saturday morning at sunrise, which means tee-off varies from 5:00am to 6:45am depending on the time of year, plus some extra weekday rounds when time permits. In other words, every Saturday, plus anytime my wife has early meetings for work.  Hey, I'm awake anyways, right?  

What I received: SCOR4161 Scoring Clubs:

• Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120 grams)
  • Firm flex
  • + ¼”
  • 3 up
  • Standard Grip +4 wraps

What I replaced:

• 9 iron Cobra s3 pro Nippon 950
  • Pw Cobra S3 pro Nippon 950
  • 52 Degree Callaway X forged stock shaft
  • 60 Degree Nike VR forged S400
  • 64 Degree Callaway X forged stock steel (not always in my bag)

When I got chosen to review the Scor Wedges I was ecstatic.  I had only heard about the brand through MyGolfSpy, but what I had heard was mostly good.  Like most Club ho's I've gone through a lot of wedges, putters, irons, etc. so the chance to review these wedges was right in my wheel house, essentially all the clubs in my bag are truly on a constant review.  The idea of tight and consistent wedge gaps would be a new concept in my golf bag, as I've mostly carried a 52, 60 which I always thought was a good setup for me… I think I was wrong…

My plan is to test out the Scor clubs on-course and at Tour Golf, in Agoura Hills, CA, using their TRACKMAN to get some numbers for you numbers guys.

42 rough.jpg

Performance

Full and Half Shot Performance

I received the wedges on a Thursday and got them out onto the course on Saturday morning.  I was super excited to hit them, so I got to the course at 4:30am and hit balls blindly into the pitch black.  I have no idea where they went but they felt good- a little different than my current wedges.  Once the sun came up, the accuracy of the clubs was a nice surprise. I could see that the balls were in-fact going right where I was pointing for the most part, there were a few that went off line, likely due to the archer not the arrow.  They were point-and-shoot for me and the distance seemed to be consistent.  Once I got out on the course I had very similar results to the range session.  I took the distance that Scor estimated on the online fitting and decided to use it as a guide to see how accurate the estimate really was…and it was pretty much spot on.  After the first nine holes I was getting pretty used to the wedges and was trying to lay-up to the distances that I had decided each wedge went.  I would hit whatever club I had to off the tee so that I was left with the yardage that the 42 degree Scor was going.  I just felt really comfortable hitting it.  Must be a honeymoon period, right?… That's what I thought too, yet week after week I felt so confident in the yardages that my Scor wedges were going - even half shots went about half of the distance of each Scor club, which just adds more confidence to my game.

Distance was a bit shorter than a few of the other comparable irons and wedges, which could be due to the fact that my other clubs are ½ over and these are ¼ over, but I will say that I felt the distances were significantly more consistent with the Scor clubs and like my fitter says, “when people say their club goes anywhere from 135-145 yards - that could be the difference between a bunker short and water long.”  Although they are a bit shorter, when I know what distance a club will go it frees up my mind to just put a good swing on it, and that has seemed to help.  The distance gap between my Cobra 8 iron and the 42 degree Scor was about spot on, plus, ½ and ¾ shots are very consistent as well.

From the Scor website:

SC3 PROGRESSIVE WEIGHTING - “The innovative distribution of mass specific to each loft ensures better trajectories and distance control than you'll get with any other wedges.”

I'm not sure of the science behind “progressive weighting”, but based on my experience so far, I'm buying into it.

The trajectory seems to be on-par with my other clubs, a nice medium trajectory on full and ¾ shots, and medium-low on ½ shots, but I can open them up and get a little more height or close them and bring them down - they are no problem to get airborne and keep low.

In my opinion, where these clubs really shine is in forgiveness.  Mis-hits seem to lose very little distance compared to my other wedges.  I'm not talking toe-hits or heal-hits because those suck no matter what club you are hitting- but high and low hits on the face seem to fly just fine, maybe only losing 5-10 yards, and unless I‘m hitting over water that's not the end of the world.  It may just be the fact that I now know the distance that I hit these clubs so my confidence is higher, but I definitely feel that they are more forgiving than my previous wedges.

Spin with the Scor wedges is what I would expect from a modern wedge - nothing too spectacular… you get what you put into it and that's all.  If you weren't a high-spin wedge player before, these wedges won't make you one. It's no Mac Daddy that's for sure! However, Scor wedges keep up with the other conforming wedges I have played over the years.

Control with the Scor Wedges – As a 15 handicap I'm mostly just happy when the ball goes at the green, but like any other club in this design style, they have a pretty true flight. If you want it to get up high, you need to open it up, and if you want to hit it low you have to close the face down and make the swing.  If you put the right swing on these clubs they do what they should.

I took the Scor wedges along with some of my other clubs to Tour Golf in Agoura Hills, CA for a session on their TRACKMAN.  Some of the Forums members were wondering how the 42 degree Scor compared to the iron it was replacing (the 9 iron), so here are the numbers compared to three other 9 irons.

Chart 1.jpeg

9 irons.jpg

(the contenders!)

• The Cobra has a Nippon 950 S, ½ inch over
  • The Nike has a s400, ½ inch over
  • The Ping has a KBS Tour S, ½ inch over
  • And the Scor has a Genius 12(KBS Tour S), ¼ inch over

F&H Shot Score: 90/100

all 5 in rough.jpg

Pitching, Flopping, and Chipping

Performance

The club head felt very stable which made it easy to let the club do the work.  I spent many hours at the practice green hitting a variety of shots with each club, and they were all very accurate.  Depending on the lie and distance, I can now dial in a shot with each club and love having more options around the green. Before, my go-to was a bump and run with a gap wedge and everything else with my lob wedge, which often led to second guessing myself and that's never a good thing on finesse shots around the green.

Distance was predictable - even when hit a little high on the face the distance loss was minimal.  On the other hand, a bladed shot is a bladed shot, however the added confidence from these wedges allowed me to commit more to the shot resulting in less thin shots.  I can fly the ball in either low or high with club head manipulation, and I do find the sole of the club quite forgiving on all lies.  It may be that I've spent more time in the last month or so on short game than I have in years, but either way I'm loving the confidence I've gained around the green.  If I come up short or long I don't freak out, I feel that I can get up and down easier with all the options that the Scor wedges give me. 

Spin seems to be on-par with my old wedges - I didn't see significantly more or less spin with the Scor wedges.  I was a little worried about the 58 degree wedge being the highest lofted wedge and whether it would be enough loft for the little flop shots, but after a few shots I realized that it was very easy to open up for those shots.  The bounce on the Scor wedges seemed very versatile on all the different turf conditions and lies I encountered.

P, F&C Shot Score: 90/100

bag 1.jpg

Bunkers have always been a strong part of my game and the Scor Wedges perform well, they don't dig but rather they glide through the sand.  The sole design works just as well for fairway bunkers - it's easy to pick the ball off the sand.

Scor wedges also perform well in the rough, although the one thing I did notice is that in thick rough they glide through too well, leading to some high face shots which lose about 10 yards, but that's not so bad…unless there is water 10 yards short!

The spin is what you would expect out of both sand and rough - not as much as off of a clean lie, but I have not had any real issues with too much roll-out.

The idea behind the V-sole, “two bounces are better than one”, seems to work.    They are easy to open up in the bunker without the leading edge getting too high.

S & R Score: 90/100

rough.jpg

Performance Notes

While I was on the launch monitor at Tour Golf, I went through each Scor club and got an average distance for each one.  It was so close to the estimated distance that Scor had on the online fitting - I was amazed!  It also made me realize how important consistent wedge gaps are for confidence.  Now I can look at a distance and grab the corresponding club… no second guessing.  I think Scor makes a good wedge but I think they make a great scoring system.  Before I got on the launch monitor I think I only used the 42, 46, 50 and 58 on the course because I thought the 54 was too similar to the 58.  It wasn't until I actually saw the numbers that I realized how much more precise I could be, or could at least try to be.

Chart 2.JPG

The overall performance of the Scor clubs has been great.  The one thing that I did notice was when I hit a tree root with the 54 it gouged the sole of the club quite a bit, it has not affected the performance of the club but it sure looks ugly.

Total Performance Score: 90/100

bag2.jpg

54 gouge.jpg

(54 Degree gouge!)

Subjective

Looks

The Scor clubs have a great look, very clean, very simple and I like that in an iron.  The head shape is classic and the concave muscle-pad on the back is sexy.  The topline is a little thicker than other wedges I have used but by no means is it too thick.  They don't look out of place at all in my bag and the finish is very similar to the Cobra S3 pros, so they blend right in.  The stampings are minimal, although I could do without the V-Sole stamp - it looks out of place, but it's not that bad.  All and all, the Scor clubs are very classic looking.  I don't notice the offset so it must not be too much - it blends in nicely with my existing irons.

Looks Score: 90/100

cobra +scor1.jpg

Sound and Feel

Overall these wedges have a great feel.  They seem softer than my other irons and wedges (hence the “war-wounds” on the 54!) but the feel is not so different between my existing 8 iron (38 degree) to say the Scor 42 degree (9 iron) to make it stick out from the rest of the irons.  They have a pretty consistent feel throughout the set.  Mis-hits are noticeable but not super harsh. The sound is pleasant, no click or tink, just a low thud which I like. In fact, the first time I hit them on the course, based on the soft feel and lack of click, I really thought I had mis-hit it until I got to the green and the ball was right on target.  Some people may not like the lack of feedback but it doesn't bother me.

Sound & Feel Score: 99/100

faces cobra +.jpg

(Scor - top)

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

As you can tell by now, I am a huge fan of the Scor wedges - my only complaint would be the fact that the 54 degree wedge already has a huge gouge out of it, but I guess that if you want a soft feeling iron, the metal will have to be soft too…makes sense right?... or I could just stay out of the trees.  Now that I've tried these Scoring clubs I would most definitely buy them.  I just wish they made lower lofts as I could see myself bagging a 38 degree or even a 34 degree. I have a new-found confidence with my Scoring clubs… and that is priceless.

LOP Score: 100/100

grip2.jpg

Subjective Notes

As a total package the people at Scor got it right with these - soft feel, classic looks and a reasonable price for a full custom set of scoring clubs.  As a stand-alone wedge they are good, as a Scoring system they are great!  If Scor made a full set of irons they would be in my bag, no question.  The Genius shafts by KBS feel great and blend easily to the Nippons I already have in my irons.

Total Subjective Score: 96.3/100

topline.jpg

(Scor - right)

Conclusion

The opportunity to be involved in this test was a true pleasure and having the excuse to spend extra hours on the golf course because “honey, it's for the review”, was also a pleasure.  The people at Scor make a great product - I can see these wedges staying in the bag long-term which is absolutely not something I say often. Now, when I have those shots from 130 yards and out, I have no problem trusting what's coming out of my bag.  I know if I put a good swing on it, the ball will go where I want it too… and if I don't I can probably get up and down.

Thanks again to MyGolfSpy and Scor for this great privilege- it has been a lot of fun!

Total Score: 93.15/100

Image 4.jpg

The Five

1. Will this iron go in your bag? Why or why not?

All These wedges are staying for sure. They're consistent and reliable.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this iron? Why?

I would recommend these to anyone in the market for new wedges. Scor may not be the most well-known wedge maker but their products are top notch.

3. How, if at all, did this iron change your overall impression of Scor

I did not have an impression previously, because I knew very little about the company, but my first impression is a good one.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

I would not stamp V-Sole on the sole.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I like the classic looks of the Scor wedges and hope to see that continue in the future.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

I cannot wait to read these!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Very nice!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I like the fact that they put headcovers on their clubs.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Nice unboxing Tx!

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Nice unboxing WJ. I'd Like to hear how the difference in shafts from irons to wedges works for you

Nice unboxing WJ. I'd Like to hear how the difference in shafts from irons to wedges works for you

You got it Theoo!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Great job Whiskey!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

I am waiting for RP review.... switching from Mizuno to Score is going to be interesting....

Great job so far fellas.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Good job whiskey!

Great unboxing RP! Can't wait for the review

Great Review RP. 

I will say the headcovers that you did not like are so much better than the competitions.  Since the competition uses the bubble wrap, it is not very hard to beat.  However, excellent unboxing. 

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Archived