Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Impact Zone

I just posted a reply to a guy that was hitting some big hooks...I think the post was old...my suggestion was to look at Bobby Clampett's The Impact Zone book. I read it this past winter, and will likely read it again. Helped with my short game and long iron play. And my driving was off the charts as well - I need to get it back.

Has anyone else ever looked into it? Obviously, you can get the book at any book store, or order it. Here's a link to one of his youtube videos that I always enjoy watching...

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

The aiming point technique has helped me a lot. What I find with the Impact Zone is that its very compatible with the teachings of my pro. However, I don't know how to hit down on my driver without causing excessive distance robbing spin. Hitting down seems to work fine with the fairways. It goes without saying I've always tried to hit down with the hybrids and irons but the aiming point technique made me more consistent. My Flightscope data also seems to support driver distance is better served with an up angle of approach but I haven't had enough time on FS to compare accuracy.

I don't think the impact zone and aiming point encourage hitting down at the ball with the driver. I suppose there may be a little bit of it, but the whole premise is to aim your hands 4 inches ahead of the ball which encourages you to hold onto the lag longer. There shouldn't be any intentional hitting down on the ball. In fact, the ball 'isn't even there' really. Give the driver section another read.

The aiming point technique has helped me a lot. What I find with the Impact Zone is that its very compatible with the teachings of my pro. However, I don't know how to hit down on my driver without causing excessive distance robbing spin. Hitting down seems to work fine with the fairways. It goes without saying I've always tried to hit down with the hybrids and irons but the aiming point technique made me more consistent. My Flightscope data also seems to support driver distance is better served with an up angle of approach but I haven't had enough time on FS to compare accuracy.

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

well from what I recall, it's not just aim at a point 4" in front of the ball, the concept is for that point 4" in front to be the bottom of your swing which requires hitting down (not excessively mind you) even with the driver. Besides the book, I have his complete video series.

I know I've heard him talk about how many pros hit down with the driver. The My Trackman website has Angle of Approach averages for the PGA and LPGA Tour. With the driver PGA Tour Pros average a minus 1.3 degrees while LPGA Pros average a +3.0 degrees. I agree -1.3 degrees is not an excessive amount of downward blow but technically the club is moving down at impact. With the PW, the men reach -5.0 while the Ladies reach -2.8. They also list break outs for men and women based on handicap ranges. For all I know you've seen these.

My approach, and what my pro also wanted, has been to try and be level to slightly ascending for fear of spinning it too much with the descending blow and fear of hitting it too high if I got the club head moving up too much. If I had the benefit of launch monitor data for every practice session, I would try to learn to hit up on the ball 1 to 3 degrees as this seems to help my spin numbers based on my recent LM session. Realistically by trying to be level most of the time I probably bounce back and forth between slightly up and slightly down and leave some distance on the table but I avoid the excessive up (say +4 to +6 degrees) or excessive down numbers

(-2 to -5 degrees) if I was trying to hit one way or the other at all times.

• 9 months later...

Archived