Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Big Hitter---Drivers

leftyj13

I have never bought a new driver until 4 months ago, I bought a cobra amp cell.  been using ping for the past 5 years.  I have better control now, still bomb it 290+   ex baseball player.    but this past weekend I played a rd, and the guys I played with was using the Calloway X hot driver,   

my swing speed 115+

his was maybe 100

he was keeping up with me all day,   so i'm wondering is the X hot  that hot?  i'm watch the long drive contest right now,  and the 15 pro's  10 of them use krank, the other 5 X hot,  

so my question is  anybody here use the X hot?  

my 1st driver was a great big bertha  Loved it!!

Ken

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 9.5 adjustable X stiff

Irons: 4-Sw Callaway XR stiff

Wedges: Sw-Lw Tour Rusty Cobra

Putter: Taylor Made Daddy long legs 38"

balls: Taylor Made Aeroburner soft

First problem that sticks out to me is if you're swing 115+, I can't imagine a stiff shaft is a good fit. You should be in X flex at that point.

Driver heads have been maxed out for years, it's all about pairing a particular head and shaft with your swing. Some heads are lower spinning than others, so for people who really need to reduce spin, they need one of these heads. From what I've heard, the Xtreme is lower spinning than the XHot. The Anser and R1 are also fairly low spinning heads. I'm not sure how the Amp Cell Pro compares, but the standard Amp Cell is definitely not a low spinning head.

Like WD said it's all about fitting to maximize distance and accuracy.  A properly fit lower swing speed can keep up or outdrive an improperly fit higher swing speed all day long.

My guess is you're leaving some distance on the table by not being fit properly.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I keep telling myself to go get fitted, I think its time.  but can they fit me for,  normal swing speed est 116,  but when I turn it up on par 5's can top 122-125  but that's just overswing on my part thinking I get more with more speed,  I think Saturday it's time to go get fitted,  after 4 months of use with this Cobra, I do have more accuracy, but my ping G15 had more distance less control  LOL

Thanks Guys

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

If you go to a place that uses trackman they should be able to fit you. They might not have the perfect shaft for you but you'll learn a lot about your swing from a good fitting

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Be sure to come back and let us know the results!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I keep telling myself to go get fitted, I think its time.  but can they fit me for,  normal swing speed est 116,  but when I turn it up on par 5's can top 122-125  but that's just overswing on my part thinking I get more with more speed,  I think Saturday it's time to go get fitted,  after 4 months of use with this Cobra, I do have more accuracy, but my ping G15 had more distance less control  LOL

Thanks Guys

Just go get fit - they fit the guys that you were watching on the long drive contest.  A good fitter has seen guys with your swing speeds.  The ball matters, I regularly play with a guy who has a slower swing speed than I do, I hit my irons longer than he does, hit the ball higher than he does but he'll keep up with me off the tee because he uses a Callaway warbird while I use a premium ball - if I hit his ball I blow it past him - of course I can't do a blessed thing with it around the green so it's not worth it.

Ball matters, shaft matters, club head matters but no one is better than the other across the ball - you need what fits you to maximize what you have.

Good luck.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

and when you ge get fitted,  DO NOT use the balls they provide.  Bring a couple of sleeves that you game OR at the very least, get fitted for a ball as well before you the actual fitting.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I second all the above.  15 years ago, I'd have made Bubba look like a short hitter.  I was gaming a Titleist 975J-VS with a Harrison Pro Striper LD XX.  I fractured both of my wrist and couldn't swing that anymore, so I got rid of it.  I've played off the rack equipment, with a S shaft since, as I thought I had lost all my swing speed and was happy with 280-290.  After spraying the ball all over the place yet still being longer than most, I gave in and got fit, to clean up the accuracy.  I was shocked to find that my swing speed was still in the 118-121 range on the average and I still needed an XS shaft.  I got a TMag R1 with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 XS.  I'm now regularly hitting it 300-320 and most importantly I've hit more fairways this season, than I have in probably the last 10 combined.

GET FIT

and when you ge get fitted,  DO NOT use the balls they provide.  Bring a couple of sleeves that you game OR at the very least, get fitted for a ball as well before you the actual fitting.

If its a good fitter he will use top quality balls.  My last 2 fitters have used brand new Pentas which fit into the strata of balls that I play - the one also had Pro V1's available if that were my ball type.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I second all the above.  15 years ago, I'd have made Bubba look like a short hitter.  I was gaming a Titleist 975J-VS with a Harrison Pro Striper LD XX.  I fractured both of my wrist and couldn't swing that anymore, so I got rid of it.  I've played off the rack equipment, with a S shaft since, as I thought I had lost all my swing speed and was happy with 280-290.  After spraying the ball all over the place yet still being longer than most, I gave in and got fit, to clean up the accuracy.  I was shocked to find that my swing speed was still in the 118-121 range on the average and I still needed an XS shaft.  I got a TMag R1 with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 XS.  I'm now regularly hitting it 300-320 and most importantly I've hit more fairways this season, than I have in probably the last 10 combined.

GET FIT

I will say this that Harrison shaft was one hell of a shaft. That Fuji you are swinging now is a great shaft looks like you got it together

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I know plenty of guys who swing at your speed and play a standard stiff shaft. It's hard to say if you need an x flex or not because shaft flex is not based just off of your swing speed. Also if you've never been fit before how do you know exactly how fast you swing? Go find a reputable fitter, shell out the money and go through the full bag. It can be eye opening or you can just have the confidence that your current setup is good for you.

My question is if you've never been fit, how do you know your swing speed?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

When you go to any golf store and swing on the monitors, they tell you your swing speed...at least with that particular club...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

When you go to any golf store and swing on the monitors, they tell you your swing speed...at least with that particular club...

Depending on the monitor it might just be a calculated SS.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Most golf stores sims are as accurate as those speed stick things, not very.  Especially when you consider their job is selling equipment and I'd venture a guess that at least 75% have tweaked settings.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I only offered up a reason he thinks he knows his swing speed, without a fitting session...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Funny you should mention this.  Yesterday I hit a few on the LM at the club, and then on the way home stopped by a box retailer to check out a driver or two. Got on their LM and got a really good chuckle.   did a few swings with the Ping, then walked out to grab my RBZ and compared them side by side.  The LM at the club which is set up for teaching, not selling clubs showed me between 99 and 106mph.  The box store was showing a number in the 105-112 range, and try as I might, the box store would not show a hard slice or hook no matter how deliberately I tried to create one, and believe me, a couple of those swings *should* have traveled nearly as far laterally as they did veritcally :-).  

Box store LM's are not to be trusted.  EVER.  according to them, I can bomb an RBZ to 290 carry and 315 with roll.  I have NEVER seen more than 280 total on the course, and that was an absolutely rocket that carried MAYBE 255 and rolled for days on nearly frozen ground.  They are setup for selling drivers, nothing more, nothing less.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• 1 month later...

I used the system at Golfmart when I bought the cobra amp cell,   I just got my new Driver last night  TM SLDR 9.5  Extra stiff... going to the range tonight to dial it in for Saturday!!  lol

to R P......  I play at 110% 10 finger grip and rip style,  I could be a 5xs better golfer if I could tone it down to 80%  LOL

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

well hit the range tonight results are.

SLDR  adjusted it a couple times till I quit hooking it,  funny thing is I put the sldr all the way inside on draw and it went straight LOL  sounded funny...didn't feel i could not put the boom swing into it  and was lighter than the cobra also..

pulled the cobra back out and BAM hit it straight everytime and seemed farther.   so i won't know the real difference till this sat rd....  right now i don't like it..

if i don't like it Saturday i will sell it for what i bought it for $225.00  LOL

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

I tried many swing speed machines..the most inaccurate was Dicks SG's. I was told 115/ 116....I was like..wtf!!!

Was put on another unit a week later and was a realistic 98 to 101 mphs.., which is my 250 to 255 off the tee. Down the middle is my thing

Anyone else receive these extreme high swing speeds from the golf retailers?

I heard sky pro is pretty accurate

Mm

I tried many swing speed machines..the most inaccurate was Dicks SG's. I was told 115/ 116....I was like..wtf!!!

Was put on another unit a week later and was a realistic 98 to 101 mphs.., which is my 250 to 255 off the tee. Down the middle is my thing

Mm

I've been on ones telling me I hit a 7 iron 170. For some it's no problem but that's a miracle for me.

here's my no BS my clubs distances  on the course not a sim ....been hitting the irons like that for 5 years now, the weekend after turkey day ill goto golfmart sim and shoot some pics of swing speeds

driver-----302 

4 wood---260

4-----------235

5-----------215

6-----------200

7-----------180

8-----------165

9-----------155

pw---------148

aw---------135

sw---------115

lw----------90

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

well hit the range tonight results are.

SLDR  adjusted it a couple times till I quit hooking it,  funny thing is I put the sldr all the way inside on draw and it went straight LOL  sounded funny...didn't feel i could not put the boom swing into it  and was lighter than the cobra also..

pulled the cobra back out and BAM hit it straight everytime and seemed farther.   so i won't know the real difference till this sat rd....  right now i don't like it..

if i don't like it Saturday i will sell it for what i bought it for $225.00  LOL

I have heard similar results from others with the SLDR. It seems to be one of those drivers that you love or hate.

I talked to a few guys that had the R1 and the SLDR and the R1 looked like it went farther because of the higher launch angle but in the right conditions the SLDR would roll out past the R1.

The bad part is that once most golfers get it into their head they don't like it, it is hard to kick that thought out!

Good Luck.

Mm

Absolutely have had the same thing happen at Dicks and The PGA Superstore here in town. My swing speeds are about the same as yours maybe 1 or 2 mph more. Dick's had me swinging at 115 and I knew no fricking way at 56 years old. The only ones who don't jack with me on the machine are the new Golfsmith store because they know me and know not to jack me around and I have checked it on my clubfitter friend's machine before so I know the truth

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I tried to like the SLDR, but can't,  I'm sticking with my Cobra amp cell 9.5    oh well,  I think I might give ole ping g25 another chance!  LOL

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

Ah well lefty, such is life. Didn't like G25 myself, found it a bit dead - loved the look and the results were pretty good but didn't like the feel and it just felt like it ballooned a bit. Does the Cobra sound better than the old cobras? They used to sound awful.

I'm intrigued to see MGS staff test the SLDR and Jetspeed.....

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• 3 weeks later...

the Cobra amp cell sounds great...reading reviews now on the new Bio cell driver....

as for the SLDR  I'm just going to sell it.   should move pretty quick for 225.00 plus ship with head cover and tool   only hit 30 range balls with it.

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

Archived