TESTERS WANTED! ×

Big Hitter---Drivers

leftyj13

Ok guys did some changes and a 2 hr hitting drivers to figure out the boom stick  lol

my old driver cobra amp cell, I thought last month it lost some pop,  went to golfsmith  sim  hit it  it did lose 15-18 yrds...avg swing speed 117  286yrds

hit G25  117mph  302 yrds

hit the X hot Calloway  117 mph  323 yrds

so I traded in the CAC  for the X hot     the the original post  X hot vs krank..  can't wait to see the big bertha coming soon  ....

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 9.5 adjustable X stiff

Irons: 4-Sw Callaway XR stiff

Wedges: Sw-Lw Tour Rusty Cobra

Putter: Taylor Made Daddy long legs 38"

balls: Taylor Made Aeroburner soft

I think you are looking at this the wrong way, as far as you hit the ball, distance should not even be a factor, regardless if a guy who has a slower swing speed kept up with you. There are 100's of guys that would love the problem of 302 in the middle of the fairway, I am a long hitter as well, and you cannot sacrifice accuracy for distance, it's taken a long time for me to figure that out, 300 is good on any course, and an occasional reach back for 320 is okay, if your worried about the other guy keeping up with you, you're worried about the wrong stuff. The course I play I use the back tees 6500 yards or so, and I hit usually 2 drivers, being in the fairway is too important to just let it rip.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

@ Lefty

I figured this out toward the end of this past summer. I used to carry my long drive drivers in my bag to the course. It never worked out. I now carry a short, super stiff (4X tipped 3") shafted driver that I can control and still hit far enough.

That being said, with leftyj13's handicap being at 5, I am sure he does fine finding the fairway no matter how far he hits it.

Dude 4X tipped 3". There is no way you're loading it. Over stiff doesn't equal control. You're giving up control and distance with that. The shaft isn't doing anything it's designed to. It's just a stick to hold on to if that's what you're really playing. Guarantee you would never be fit for that if you went for an actual fitting. Just sayin.

@ Blade

I have done fittings and used what they said "fit" me and it was a joke. I was all over the place. I have tried and broke a lot of shafts in my quest for what works and this is it. I do not care if I am "loading" it or if the shaft is doing anything that is designed to do. All I am looking for is a shaft that when I swing it, the ball is in play. This setup works for me. 

I have gained a lot of control with the crazy stiffness of this shaft.

I may be losing some distance but I can still get it out there far enough that most par 5's are reachable.

Maybe when I develop an actual, fundamentally correct, golf swing a fitter will be able to set me up but until then I will keep this set-up.

Archived