Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

(Forum Testing) - For STRIKER GOLF GPS App!

heidistriker

I played 18 today (don't check the score... It's embarrassing) and it only used 12% of my battery. I was pretty happy with that!

That's crazy-good Paul. Keeping an eye on this - I have a feeling when I change phones/apple stores when I move to the States I'll have to purchase all my apps again, so will be interested in hearing how the testing goes on this one.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the "doh" files -- realized today that my bluetooth has been on.  I'm guessing THAT little detail might have had a little something something to do with my fast-draining battery!   :huh:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

From the "doh" files -- realized today that my bluetooth has been on.  I'm guessing THAT little detail might have had a little something something to do with my fast-draining battery!   :huh:

Don't forget to check the WiFi too!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Don't forget to check the WiFi too!

Turn that off as well?  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Turn that off as well?  

Absolutely.  Wifi and bluetooth are two huge drains on your battery.  if you aren't using it, turn it off.

Well done Striker!

I used the app today and if I had to describe it in one word, it would be EASY.

In my usual careful and analytical way, I deleted the instructions and just went for it.

I fiddeled around and was able to instantly find " new game", which oddly enough was on the home page of the app. I followed the step by step instructions, 4, and bingo I was in.

I'll attach some screenshots I have attempted to resize, I hope I select the correct ones!

First thing I noticed was the page layout, which included the scoring and stats, along with the GPS

image.jpg

As you can see, I opted to aim my drive 473 yard up the side of the mountain, as this would leave me with a simple 312 yard sand wedge in to the pin.

I really liked the ability to just touch the screen where you wanted to hit the shot, and it would instantly tell you the distance to that spt, as well as the distance to the green from that spot too, so it was a really fast was to help with course management.

image.jpg

Zooming in on the green was easy too, so you could pinpoint the stick for better yardage and club selection.

image.jpg

It took me a few tries to find the scorecard, but I eventually got it. Seems to be the one thing I didn't easily get a quick feel for, but it should be easier with a few more uses.

image.jpg

Then after the game, it was neat to get statistics. I didn't enter them all in at first, so my stats aren't quite reflective, but only because I didn't see the ones on the bottom, and other times I just skipped putting something in, but, I can see if one were a little more diligent, you could get some good info to use.

image.jpg

To summarize quickly, I liked this better than Golfshot.

It was easier to use, first time out. I really liked the touch screen for yardages too.

Scoring was easier, and stats can be compiled easier. I have only ever used golfshot, so I can't compare with anything else.

For me, it's definitely a keeper.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Any room left ?  i'd like to do a review....  sent ya an email

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Heidi,  resent the email...  :)  thanks

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Third time out yesterday using the Striker Golf App.  Played with Paul S at Stonebrooke here in balmy Minnesota.  Paul set up the game on his phone and sent me an invite to join the game. All I had to do was reply and it was game on.

In this setup, each of us used the app to post our own scores, and the scorecard showed both of our scores. As with individual play, the whole setup is super-easy to use.  

One minor inconvenience - the course was starting everyone on the 10th whole that day.  It was easy to scroll through the holes on the GPS/scorecard function to get to 10.  When we finished 18 and had to go to the first hole for complete our second nine, there was no "around the horn" feature for scorekeeping, so we had to screen-wipe all the way back through 18 holes to get to #1.  Not a big deal, but if Striker is looking for future suggestions, an around the horn feature would be nice.

Did turn off both my Bluetooth and my WiFi for the round, but my battery still drained pretty rapidly, although I was able to make it through 18 holes this time.  My iPhone is nearly 2 years old, so the battery has been abused over the years.  Paul S used considerably less of his battery life over the same time frame.  

Looking forward to trying some of the other game features in the coming weeks...or until the snow flies, whichever comes first....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This is looking great - I've searched and there don't seem to be any courses mapped in Auckland, New Zealand but I'm really looking forward to trying this out when I reach the sunny isles of Hawaii next month - it seems all of the courses I'm likely to play in Hawaii are loaded so that's cool.

Thanks for the on course photos Sluggo as well, glad it's working out for ya!

Sorry not to be out in New Zealand yet.  We have most of the 18,000 courses in the United States right now.  We plan on rolling out the other 20 thousand courses around the world in the next year.  Our emphasis is on game and tournament creation using a world class GPS.  It is hard to spread that message outside of the United States at present.  We are hopeful to hear interest outside of the U.S.A though :)

Sorry not to be out in New Zealand yet.  We have most of the 18,000 courses in the United States right now.  We plan on rolling out the other 20 thousand courses around the world in the next year.  Our emphasis is on game and tournament creation using a world class GPS.  It is hard to spread that message outside of the United States at present.  We are hopeful to hear interest outside of the U.S.A though :)

Thanks Heidi, it's all good. I'm only here in New Zealand for another month and then we move to the US, so i'll get plenty of chances to test the app. 

Well, since I am always looking at new Golf apps, I don't know if there are any slots left, but I'm going to give it a whirl this whirl this weekend!

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I'm now in the iPhone 5s and if you still have any tester slots, I'd be willing to give it a trial run versus GolfCard, the GPS I've been running.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I did go ahead and download the app and played around on it.  I will say the 2 courses I checked out had incorrect markers on it.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Heidi,

Fantastic App!!

First, is ease of use, cuz I'm borderline IT illiterate(A few here would drop the borderline). The App was very simple & stright forward, with good instructions. I was with my Brother and we only used the GPS, scorecard & statistics. The GPS was very impressive cuz goin in I was extremely skeptical of that feature, though that skeptisism was borne from ignorance, as i have only ever used laser prior.

as Sluggo mentioned, the ability to use the touch screen from your next planned shot to get a distance was great.

My only question is what is the USGA's stance on phone based GPS Apps in general and your App specifically?

I'll get back here after more use.

Thanks again for hookin me up, great App!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

Thanks for Liking Striker Golf GPS!!  I am glad you liked it!  With respect to your question about the USGA, the use of smartphone technology in USGA events is not sanctioned to my knowledge.  The reason is that smartphones, in particular, IPhones have the ability to measure wind through its weather features and has an internal compass.  And although I can't imagine ANYONE using those features on a course, that is the stance of the USGA at the moment.  

But this was made more for you to play either with yourself or your friends, for buddy trips, and charity and corporate outings.  Thanks again for giving us your feedback as we continue to try and improve.  We realize that there is always room for improvement!!

- Heidi

Thanks Plano for your post.  Let me try to answer some of your questions.  Let me start by first expressing our appreciation for ANY feedback as it helps us understand your ideas and the behavior of the typical golfer.

1.  While I can't say that the problem with the google vs. iphone maps is isolated to Rick, this is the first time we have had anyone bring up this problem.  And in general, the iphone apps are pretty accurate.  We are verifying next week with apple any new updates on their end.

2.  We have a database 18 thousand courses in the U.S.  Most people in the industry know that when companies report 30 thousand courses worldwide, they are exaggerating as the courses outside of the United States are usually inaccurate and rely on local markers.  That said, we fully recognize that even our 18 thousand courses have errors and will over time be rectified..... which leads to the answer to your other question...

3.  We are in the process of making an interface for you to update and/or add courses on our website.  This will be completed in the next few weeks.  We did not want to plot every point on the course.  Because our touchpoint arrow distances allow you to measure any distance on the course exactly.  We simply want you to have 2 abilities.  Know the front middle back distances.  And touch any other point for that distance.  In our opinion, this is the downside CLUTTER of apps like golfshot and golflogix.

4.  We do not presently have betting games such as wolf, skins, or nassaus.  Believe it or not, that was one of the first goals that we had.  And as you can see from our unique scorecard, it can easily be integrated.  We did not want to make our screens and algorythms too complicated in our first version for fear of scaring people off.  

5.  One of the nicest features of the touchpoint distance arrows on the GPS is the ability to zoom in on the green, push the point on the green that you want to hit, and measure that EXACT distance.  Its up to you to hit the spot though :)

Hi Plano, I don't know if you had the chance to see my post that I sent for you a week or two ago.  In order for me to get you a free test version, I will nee you to send me your email address and name to [email protected].  

Note that we are working feverishly on being able to map out differences in our course database.  VERY soon, you will be able to go to your course and make changes to your course database if they are wrong.  In the interim, if there is a mistake, please let us know what course and we will make the changes for you.  

Our database encompasses around 18,000 U.S. courses.  Most are correct, but there are going to be some that are not.  That is true even of the Golfshot that our technician was testing last week.  

Look forward to receiving your email.  

Thanks again, for giving trying out Striker Golf  GPS

- H

Thanks for Liking Striker Golf GPS!!  I am glad you liked it!  With respect to your question about the USGA, the use of smartphone technology in USGA events is not sanctioned to my knowledge.  The reason is that smartphones, in particular, IPhones have the ability to measure wind through its weather features and has an internal compass.  And although I can't imagine ANYONE using those features on a course, that is the stance of the USGA at the moment.  

But this was made more for you to play either with yourself or your friends, for buddy trips, and charity and corporate outings.  Thanks again for giving us your feedback as we continue to try and improve.  We realize that there is always room for improvement!!

- Heidi

Heidi, I use my iPhone to monitor wind direction, speed, the exact location of the moon, as well as yardage on each and every shot.  Sure, this takes about 4 minutes, but it's worth it and means the difference between 84 or 85 for me.

Posted Image

Seeems like an interesting app to try out. Too bad currently it's only US courses. I'm currently using Golfshot too and would love to compare both once International courses are included.

Thanks for the consideration.  I would have loved for you to test.  We are planning on adding Europe and Asia next year

Can anyone tell me how I can post pictures ( not a URL ) or whether that is possible?  We have updated the hope screen for the app.  Now it includes a Profile Page that includes your handicap, home course, Last scorecard, and list of friends for chats.  A chat button was also added to the GPS screen to allow groups to chat and trashtalk during tournaments using the Striker app

Can anyone tell me how I can post pictures ( not a URL ) or whether that is possible?  We have updated the hope screen for the app.  Now it includes a Profile Page that includes your handicap, home course, Last scorecard, and list of friends for chats.  A chat button was also added to the GPS screen to allow groups to chat and trashtalk during tournaments using the Striker app

As long as they're meeting size requirements, you can attach them within a full post reply with the attach button.  Otherwise, you can use somewhere such as photobucket to host them (or your own site) and hotlink to the image using the tag (and the corresponding closing tag for it).

In The Bag

Finally got to play a round using the Striker and It's a pretty great app!  I'll post more after I get another round or two on it, but the GPS worked great (matched my laser pretty much spot on), the scorecard entering and stat tracking is the best I've ever used and after a 3 hour round using the GPS plus streaming music via bluetooth to my cart the entire time i still had over 1/2 to 2/3 of my battery left.

If you haven't played around with the app yet you really need to get out and try it.

Archived