SLDR vs. Covert @ TaylorMade Player Development Center

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

SLDR vs. Covert At The TaylorMade Player Development Center Vancouver, BC

Speed Review – In Slow Mo

taylormade-player-center-review-logo.jpg

taylormade-player-center-review-center.jpg

The Set UP

Did you know I had a local TaylorMade fitting center? I didn't, but after a Tweet to the local rep I do now; there's one at University Golf Club. All I wanted to do was compare my current RocketBladez to the new SpeedBlade and I ended up getting so much more.

So first lemme tell ya how it all went down:

twitter-feed.jpg

OK so THAT happened. Surely it couldn't get any better… OK, well, it does…

Feel Like A Pro

taylormade-player-center-review-centerfront.jpg

TM has appointed former Australasian & Canadian Tours Pro Andy Johnson because it's important to have someone running the show that makes you feel like you truly deserve to be there and what a treat he is. Anyways I'm sure it's like this at all the TM Performance Centers ;)

It's So Cool

taylormade-player-center-review-rbzbags.jpg

Look at all the gear, I feel like I'm in RP Jacob's basement ‘cept he has more drivers and putters. So ya it's cool. Everything one could need from shaft options to club heads is on hand for you to try to get the best fit possible.

taylormade-player-center-review-rocketbladeztour.jpg

taylormade-player-center-review-grips.jpg

taylormade-player-center-review-shafts.jpg

taylormade-player-center-review-wedges.jpg

taylormade-player-center-review-woods.jpg

Andy then slows things down and really explains what is going to take place and what to expect.

taylormade-player-center-review-andyexplains.jpg

Then you hit balls while FlightScope records the data so Andy can make all sorts of adjustments. Now this is where it's handy to have someone who knows what they're doing with the best technology.

taylormade-player-center-review-flighscope.jpg

The Process: 

taylormade-player-center-review-covertswing.jpg

Nike Covert vs. TaylorMade SLDR

taylormade-player-center-review-sldrs.jpg

So in steps my current gamer Nike Covert Performance. I had a brief fitting at this year's golf show where my numbers once adjusted were off the charts. 291y average? I can tell you I don't put these kinda numbers up in the real world.

taylormade-player-center-review-driversldr.jpg

ROUND 1:

Covert 9.5* set to draw with stock Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 50 Stiff

VS.

SLDR 9.5 set to draw with Fujikura's Speeder 57g Stiff

Results:

SLDR out gunned the Covert by a few yards

taylormade-player-center-review-sldrhead.jpg

So Andy reviews the data and my swing (once again very important to have someone who knows his swings) then comes to a conclusion. My transition is quite fast and moving me to a heavier shaft with less spin should help the driver to lag more.

taylormade-player-center-review-driverbackswing.jpg

ROUND 2:

Covert 9.5* set to draw with stock Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 50 Stiff

VS.

SLDR 10.5 slight draw with Motore Speeder 6.3 67g Stiff

RESULTS:

ANDY LOOKS EXCITED!!!!!!!

taylormade-player-center-review-gettingresults.jpg

BOOM!

taylormade-player-center-review-chart.jpg

*Add 10% to yardages due to 90% balls used

MBP and MGS forever immortalized on the SLDR Experience LeaderBoard.

taylormade-player-center-review-21yards.jpg

The Wrap

Necessary

Custom

Cool 

MBP Approves

taylormade-player-center-review-andyswing2.jpg

If you've never been properly fitted then you're truly missing out. If you're just getting into the game a properly fitted club can help you to advance and on the other end make a good player better. Quit messing around with the off the rack and go visit a Player Center near you.

Special thanks to my Tmag rep Lance Antonenko and Andy Johnson for making this happen.

speedreview-TM_zps5ebd742a.png

http://taylormadegolf.ca/on/demandware.store/Sites-TMaG-CA-Site/en_CA/Fitting-Show?cgid=player-development-center

taylormade-player-center-review-speedblade.jpg

Oh and what about that RocketBladez vs. Speedblade's?  Well the custom component options for Speedblades haven't arrive yet, but I'm going back when they do so we can match my RBladez shaft for shaft etc. So expect a write up in weeks to come.

But until then I may or may not have gained 6 yards using the same stock shaft ;)

*Note. MBP needs a SLDR now...

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Great review but I am dying to know, what is he now?  You said, "TM has appointed former Australasian & Canadian Tour Pro Andy Johnson...."  Since he is formerly Australian and Canadian.?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Nice write up MBP, hitting the SLDR is still on my "to-do" list. 

Just curious, for the average joe (i.e. not a famous MGS staffer :) ) what is the cost to go in and compare your driver?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great write up MBP! 21 yards is nuts, can't wait to see how the speedblades stack up

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nice review!  Have you ever hit the R1?  Everyone I have talked to says the SLDR is longer and has a better feel.  I have yet to demo the SLDR.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Was there any reason not to use same exact shaft in both heads to see if the particular shaft head combo was the real difference and not just the head itself?  Unless you were never fit proper to any new driver no one OEM driver head should be 27 yards longer..... and what I mean is all these OEM's are using the latest and greats in R&D and materials so I can see a few yards different between clubs based on each persons individual swings. My opinion is that by not having the exact same shaft used in both heads the test doesn't really give you accurate yardage gains other then the fact TM found the best shaft for their SLDR. and this is not bashing anyone or TM because I actually play a TM driver now and have for a few years, but I also have no brand loyalty as I use what happens to feel the best and gives me the results I want for my game. another way to say this is if Nike was holding this fitting session and you used different shafts in head to head competition the TM crew would say hey this wasn't a real true comparison because they weren't using same shafts in each driver. An even better way to really see which head is longer if thats what this test was all about ( not always better for you personally unless it's a fairway finder) would be to have both heads match in these categories:  launch/spin/SS then see which is longer. then I could see different shafts being used in different OEM heads to get a similar match up to prove which head is longest. The only thing that matched on your test was your swing speed which was nice 102.4 and 102.5 pretty damn near identical. That's why I'm personally wondering if the shafts were the same would we get different launch, BS, and Spin numbers since SS was almost identical? Because obviously with lower speed and lower launch the ball will not travel longer then the SLDR numbers posted above. This is just an observation not trying to start any arguments. Was there a specific reason in why TM did not use the same shaft in each head and I don't mean same exact as the tips would have to be changed but having two same shafts with each OEM's tip. Reason I bring up shafts because there are so many different bend profiles and specs that unless all things are equal then I can't see a test being totally objective. 

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

Here is what I know....

Nike guy had me hit Performance and Tour Drivers

Nike guy had me hitting Performance better

Nike guy found spin rates high at 10.5 and average yardage 252

Nike guy dropped head to 9.5, ball started going 291

Nike guy said this was a good fit

After the TM fitting I went to GolfTown next day...

Performance driver and hit with Stock set up at 10.5 on their monitors averaging 251

Performance driver and hit with my exact current set 9.5 up on their monitors averaging 264

Switched Performance to Tour stock Silver shaft at 9.5 and averaged 244

Performance w/Tour stock Silver shaft at 10.5 and averaged 258

Performance w/Tour stock Silver shaft at 11 and averaged 249

So to answer the question - was there a reason to not use the same shaft? Nike fit me to another shaft.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

That is very cool and not a bad deal for $75. I have hit both at Golfsmith and actually had better numbers with the Covert but they were very close. The stock shafts in either do not really work for me so who knows if they would be shafted properly.

Great job as always!

Hula will roll in here soon and tell me to get a Fuji Fuel.

Hula! Can you get me a Fuji Fuel?

That was a good read and fitting !  BUT in all fairness the stock KK, = garbage, too light ,etc especially if your your transition on the downswing is quick.  Comparing the KK to Motore Speeder, hell you might as well put in hickory shaft in the Covert.  I too have a quick transition on the downswing. If you watch my swing, "blink", hell the ball is already down range.  :)  When I got fitted up in DFW I could not hit the KK to save my life, every shot was push right, a couple of clicks, still push right......

After we saw some numbers, Rob says "Fuel".  I drop it in and wayyyyyyy better results and end up @ 10.5 N, AVG total Dist. 289 ( I did "go after" a few though)

Interesting enough TXCATMAN up in Austin has a Motore 6.3 dropped in a Tour Covert.  I hit it a few times @ my club,  he can vouch for me........ I smacked the dimples off the golf ball with that Shaft/Head Combo....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Nike fit him for their driver. TM fit him for their driver. Those were the results. Nuff said.

So are you saying TM fitter was better then Nike fitter?  Or maybe Nike's fitting wasn't proper as MBP said it was a "BRIEF" fitting,  vs. TM 45 min. fitting. So why not try the same shaft that worked in the SLDR just to see if LA & SPIN were closer then maybe yardage would be similar too?  Then maybe we would know if it is just a better driver head? To just say NUFF SAID is pretty lame.

Here is what I know....

Nike guy had me hit Performance and Tour Drivers

Nike guy had me hitting Performance better

Nike guy found spin rates high at 10.5 and average yardage 252

Nike guy dropped head to 9.5, ball started going 291

Nike guy said this was a good fit

After the TM fitting I went to GolfTown next day...

Performance driver and hit with Stock set up at 10.5 on their monitors averaging 251

Performance driver and hit with my exact current set 9.5 up on their monitors averaging 264

Switched Performance to Tour stock Silver shaft at 9.5 and averaged 244

Performance w/Tour stock Silver shaft at 10.5 and averaged 258

Performance w/Tour stock Silver shaft at 11 and averaged 249

So to answer the question - was there a reason to not use the same shaft? Nike fit me to another shaft.

Thanks for clarifying MBP that , I'm glad the TM SLDR works for you.  I personally play the TM SF V1 and it fits my swing pretty nice, but to here yardage gains of 21 yards makes me want to ask questions as with everything being maxed out with COR, it's just very hard to find those type of number gains.  Now it makes me have to go try this driver to see if I can get 20 yards added to my driver length.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

Thanks

Really though let's take it for what it's worth. This was a short story more so about a fitting center and the benefits of being properly fit. In the end the club with the better fitting garnished the better results.

I emailed the Nike rep in case they wish to try and improve one the their numbers. :P

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Sounds like a great experience. IMHO $75 is very reasonable to ensure you're getting a good fitting. Great stuff! Excellent write up as usual Dan!

Sounds like a good experience, indeed, but 45 minutes would be tight for someone who's never been fit before and is interested in looking at more than one brand.  The two best clubfitters in my area (both Top 100) spend 90 and 120 minutes, respectively, on a driver fitting for about the same money.

Cleveland Black 10.5*

Ping G15 4W

Cleveland Mashie 18*

Cleveland Mashie 23*

Ping G15 5-W

Eidolon 51*

Ping G20 SW

Mizuno/Bettinardi BC-01

• SPY VIP

Not sure about the acutal time it takes but here's the numbers as per a Tweet from the Tmag rep.
$75 for partial fit and $150 for complete fit

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I've been wanting to hit one of these for a while now, but this review pushed me over the edge to go in and try it out.  I had a pretty good idea going in which head and shaft would work best, and a quick fitting validated that feeling.  I went with a 10.5° head and the Motore Speeder 6.3 tour spec shaft in stiff flex.  Settings are weight all the way to draw and head set to higher.  I picked up 12 yards on the simulator and followed that up with one of my best driving rounds ever on the course later in the day.

I really can't say enough good things about this driver.  It's probably the best feeling and sounding combo I've ever hit.  Like everything else in golf it's all about getting fit for the right specs, but for anyone looking at a new driver I'd highly recommend giving the SLDR a chance.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

SLDR is all about low and forward cg. Something I might not have thought of until COBRA showed us is that the low forward cg does definitely succeed in helping get a high launch with lower spin. Great! That's what we're after. Here's the thing though... doing that drastically reduces the MOI of the club head. Which means if you're great at hitting the sweet spot like pros, you're golden. If not, your performance for distance and direction on off center strikes will fall off dramatically compared to a club with a high MOI. We received charts showing the performance drop as the strike moves away from center compared to other designs. It's significant!

On that note, if higher and less spin is the goal, I'm in serious trouble.  I'm going to playing with a 5.5 loft at this rate.  I've already got a 9.5 cranked as LOW as I can, and I'm still punching a launching angle over 13.  (and that is with the ball middle between my feet or even a touch towards the back foot.   If I move to the front foot, I'm giving the Apollo missions a run for their money!  

Seriously though, I recently tried the SLDR at one of the box stores, and I do like it.  Sound and performance is good, but not enough better than my 2 year old RBZ to replace it loft for loft.  Now, am I considering replacing it with a lower lofted head?  well.... now...  that would be telling....

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• 3 weeks later...

On that note, if higher and less spin is the goal, I'm in serious trouble.  I'm going to playing with a 5.5 loft at this rate.  I've already got a 9.5 cranked as LOW as I can, and I'm still punching a launching angle over 13.  (and that is with the ball middle between my feet or even a touch towards the back foot.   If I move to the front foot, I'm giving the Apollo missions a run for their money!  

Seriously though, I recently tried the SLDR at one of the box stores, and I do like it.  Sound and performance is good, but not enough better than my 2 year old RBZ to replace it loft for loft.  Now, am I considering replacing it with a lower lofted head?  well.... now...  that would be telling....

If you have a sky ball problem, maybe check out the Geek No Brainer or DCT. You can check them out at www.geekgolf.net. They are closer to actual loft and have a lot of different loft options. Sinister Golf has a new low launch head out as well that I am testing now. Both have great customer service as well.

On that note, if higher and less spin is the goal, I'm in serious trouble. I'm going to playing with a 5.5 loft at this rate. I've already got a 9.5 cranked as LOW as I can, and I'm still punching a launching angle over 13. (and that is with the ball middle between my feet or even a touch towards the back foot. If I move to the front foot, I'm giving the Apollo missions a run for their money!

Seriously though, I recently tried the SLDR at one of the box stores, and I do like it. Sound and performance is good, but not enough better than my 2 year old RBZ to replace it loft for loft. Now, am I considering replacing it with a lower lofted head? well.... now... that would be telling....

I wish you could have made it to TX; you'd have really seen some moon balls. I have a R1 with Fuji Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 X, set at 8* and I'm still launching at 15.2*. I've been doing some LD specific workouts and have got back up around 130 with my "LD" swing. I think I'm going to pick up a 5* XHot LD and put it on a HOF Patriot XX. If I get to hitting it accurate enough, it might be my gamer.

whole new ball game now....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

what's your call on shaft?

Fuel lol

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I wish you could have made it to TX; you'd have really seen some moon balls. I have a R1 with Fuji Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 X, set at 8* and I'm still launching at 15.2*. I've been doing some LD specific workouts and have got back up around 130 with my "LD" swing. I think I'm going to pick up a 5* XHot LD and put it on a HOF Patriot XX. If I get to hitting it accurate enough, it might be my gamer.

Yeah, I was sooo pissed about that.  Glad I didn't though.  I was wiped after that many hours on the road that week/end

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

attachicon.giftaylormade-player-center-review-speedblade.jpg

Oh and what about that RocketBladez vs. Speedblade's?  Well the custom component options for Speedblades haven't arrive yet, but I'm going back when they do so we can match my RBladez shaft for shaft etc. So expect a write up in weeks to come.

But until then I may or may not have gained 6 yards using the same stock shaft ;)

So when is the rbladez v sblade testing happening?

Archived