Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cutting Down Shaft on Belly Putter

whiskey golf

Quick question for you guys. I think I'm going to get my belly putter cut down to 38" from its original 43". My question is how would I counter the change in weight from taking off a good chunk off of the end of the club? Lead tape on the end of the shaft? Also, how much would cutting it down effect feel? 

My coach had a 35" putter and he added 3" to it and I liked the length of it and I tried out some 38" putters in a golf shop and decided that's the length I'll go with. My coach said he added a belly putter grip to keep the balance right for his putter but a belly putter would be different. I'm going to talk to the club repair man at my course and see what he thinks but I wanted to hear your opinions and experiences. 

Worst case scenario would be that I would invest in a different putter, but I'd get the lie checked out by someone so it would be fit for me as much as possible. I had my eye on the Taylormade Spider Blade putter. I didn't like it at first but it's starting to grow on me.

Well I've been butchering my belly putters through this season, I've cut a Yes! sandy down from 43 inches to 37.5. I've then added a Superstroke belly putter.

I'm gripping the putter at around 34.5 inches.

The 3 inches out of the top balance the heavier putter head nicely (most belly putter heads are a bit heavier unless I'm mistaken).

Oh and of course it's not anchored.

Anyway try it without weight first, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I have actually thought about this, and what I came up with in my head was making a lead 'bullet' to fit inside the top of the shaft with a 'flange' so it doesn't drop down the shaft. I have no idea what weight you'd need to make the lead bullet, but it could be an option.

I have actually thought about this, and what I came up with in my head was making a lead 'bullet' to fit inside the top of the shaft with a 'flange' so it doesn't drop down the shaft. I have no idea what weight you'd need to make the lead bullet, but it could be an option.

That's pretty interesting, this idea makes me want to make one out of curiousity.

Well I've been butchering my belly putters through this season, I've cut a Yes! sandy down from 43 inches to 37.5. I've then added a Superstroke belly putter.

I'm gripping the putter at around 34.5 inches.

The 3 inches out of the top balance the heavier putter head nicely (most belly putter heads are a bit heavier unless I'm mistaken).

Oh and of course it's not anchored.

Anyway try it without weight first, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm gripping the putter around 34.5-35.5 inches so that's good to know that it won't completely throw off the weighting, but everyone is different. Hopefully I can just cut it and be done with it.

gw0113.jpg

This sounds like what you were describing brad. I think it would work pretty well

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

haha, that looks much slicker than what I had imagined! Can I ask, was there a link for this? Where did you find it? The sleeve is genius!

Its on golfworks website, http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0113_A_cn_E_1895

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I have ignored this thread, for some strange reason and I apologize. I assumed someone asked a question and someone answered it.  I finally read it and see that someone asked a question and many more echoed the question.  I have done this.

First, this may change the lie angle which can be a huge no no, and may require a different bend on the shaft.  There can be 4 or 5 degrees of difference in a belly putter lie angle and standard putter.  This can cause the toe of the putter up and not hit the ball in the center.  I cut down a broomstick putter and while this is the case, it is a center shafted putter so it does no make as much difference as a heel shafted putter.  It would certainly be a deal breaker in that case.  What is worse for me is that it is a thicker shaft than standard so it could not be bent.  But I drilled out the head and adjusted the lie angle that was.  I do not have a grip on it now and so i can not send pictures.

Second what defines the center of gravity is the balance point of the putter.  Because the weight of the head is countered by the length of the shaft and the weight of the grip you have a certain center of gravity.  When you cut the shaft off 5" you are shifting the center of gravity down the shaft about 5" plus when you go from a belly grip putter (145 g) to a standard grip (60 or 90 g) you further shift the weight towards the head.  So it is the combination of the length and weight loss in the grip can cause a very head heavy feel. 

Now, having said all that I played around with back weighting.  I put on a temporary grip with a screw sticking out on the butt and added various weights and played around a bit.  Honestly, it worked out that I really liked the head heavy feel, so I abandoned the back weighting project and played with the heavy headed putter.  However, as much as I liked the feel and the looks of that putter, I did not make as many putts or have any "hot streaks" putting with it.  I have gone back to my regular putter, but will still use this a couple of times a week in the putting room (I putt and make 30 twelve foot putts in a row, everyday on a putting strip in one of the rooms of my house.)  I feel like this heavy head keeps me moving the putter on the correct path and serves to ingrain the proper feel.

I also have a Scotty Cameron Kombi S 37" that was either extended or cut down.  I bought it this way at my Pro Shop and it was made for another member who did not like it.  A very short member.  I had to use up some credit so I picked this putter up.  I later found out I prefer a blade to a mallet.  But this putter has the standard belly putter grip.  It looks kind of funny to have a belly putter grip but this grip serves as kind of a counter balance itself.  i like the feel of this putter also.

Hope this helps.  I will check back to see if there are any specific questions about doing this.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

As Rick says obviously the putter can be impacted, I've so far cut down my Yes! sandy and my nike drone. I decided that I was happy to risk this with my collection on the grounds they'd become pretty much worthless (thanks r and a) and I needed to get away from anchoring.

I've yet to re grip the nike, but what I've done is to cut the grip off just below where I want to cut the shaft so that I can play with weights before re gripping for good - so it's still got grip where I hold it.

I've also cut a never compromise sub 30 down to 34 inches (it's a type 50 so centre shafted) and stuck on a fatso grip.

Ultimately best bet is to take off small amounts of shaft at a time and see what works for you - but I'd recommend the Superstroke belly putter grip (the 17 inch one) for your project once your happy with length and weight.

Will get some pictures online in the next day or so - got to be honest I think the Yes! Is as effective as anything I've had in the last 10 years.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I have a couple questions regarding lie angle though. As of now at 43", I am gripping the putter normally as you would a standard putter and I'm not anchoring it so basically my goal is to take just a couple inches off of the top and keep the same setup, just a different length putter. That shouldn't affect lie too much, right? Just to let you know, I'm able to grip the putter normally because it is too short for me now so I won't have to change setup after cutting it. 

As for center of gravity, I have taken a lot of physics in high school so I know how center of gravity is affected. I did some calculations and had to eyeball it a bit as well and it turns out that the current setup balances at the end of the fifth step of the shaft, starting from the head working up to the end of the grip. To simplify what I mean, the center of gravity is 12.75" away from the bottom of the head. I did the math and then tested this to see if it's true and it was. 

With this said, should I try to keep the center of gravity close to that spot, 12.75", after cutting down the shaft to keep the balance and the feel the same?

If that's the case, I should be able to find out what I need to do as far as weighting goes in order to get it close to that again. 

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I have a couple questions regarding lie angle though. As of now at 43", I am gripping the putter normally as you would a standard putter and I'm not anchoring it so basically my goal is to take just a couple inches off of the top and keep the same setup, just a different length putter. That shouldn't affect lie too much, right? Just to let you know, I'm able to grip the putter normally because it is too short for me now so I won't have to change setup after cutting it. 

As for center of gravity, I have taken a lot of physics in high school so I know how center of gravity is affected. I did some calculations and had to eyeball it a bit as well and it turns out that the current setup balances at the end of the fifth step of the shaft, starting from the head working up to the end of the grip. To simplify what I mean, the center of gravity is 12.75" away from the bottom of the head. I did the math and then tested this to see if it's true and it was. 

With this said, should I try to keep the center of gravity close to that spot, 12.75", after cutting down the shaft to keep the balance and the feel the same?

If that's the case, I should be able to find out what I need to do as far as weighting goes in order to get it close to that again. 

What putter are you cutting down?  Does it come in standard and belly versions?  If it does just go to the manufacturers website and look up the specs on the lie angle for each version.  I had a SeeMore that the lie was actually the same on the standard and belly versions so no issues with cutting it down.

And yes, if you keep the weight at roughly the same point it should feel very similar.  That's basically just swing weighting the club.  Like many others have said though, play around with how much back weight you like.  You may find you like the heavier feeling head.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Well, for a belly putter and a standard putter the lie angle is usually 71*.  For a broomstick putter it is 79*.

43 finch putter you can grip without anchoring? You must be a giant!

Anything over 38 inches anchors for me. But I am quite short.....

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

The lie for the belly version is 72 degrees and the standard version is 70 degrees.

Using 7th grade trig, your hands will be 2.6" different, when soling the putter.  However, according to Scotty Cameron, and I am not saying he is THE expert, just more expert than me, 71* is optimal, based on the average person.  However, that is half way between these, So I don't think it makes that much difference.

Screw it.  Mess with it until YOU are comfortable.  If you screw it up, buy another on eBay cheap, because people are going to be getting rid of them, and try again.

Short game to me is all about comfort.  If you are comfortable with your equipment you are going to hit better shots.  Recently, I went back to my old Titleist Vokey wedges.  When I get up to the green and pull one out of the bag it just feels good in my hands.  I make a few practice swings with it and when I "Feel" right I hit the ball.  And just know it is going in the hole.  Sunday, it went in once, had 3 tap ins and got up and down for par or better 9 out of 10 times.  The one time I did not the fact that I was able to get a bogey from there was huge.  When your team mates see your lie and the shot you have and say, "Play hard, Rick will not help out on this hole" you know it is not pretty.

Whiskey, have you got a pipe cutter?

I find that works great for shafts - as for fitting grips, well that's not the hardest - if I can do it then anyone can.

Mind you a good repair shop should be able to do it in a couple of minutes and it gives piece of mind that you've lined the grip up properly.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I got the putter cut down today to 38" and put on a 21" Superstroke belly grip. I'll give it a try later today but it's very head heavy now which isn't bad based off of first impressions put I will see how it plays out. I'll try to post a picture later tonight.

Also, the clubfitter/repair shop owner didn't charge me because I'm on the high school team which was very cool and I also scheduled a fitting for the R1 for next week. He also told me he would cover it which took me by surprise and I offered to pay but I guess that will be covered anyways, that really shows his class. So I will probably write about my experience because I have never been fitted by him and it's the least I can do, the more publicity the better. I saw a plaque in his shop that had the title of "PGA Fitter of the Year" for 2012 and I've heard good things about him so I'm really looking forward to getting fit.

I got the putter cut down today to 38" and put on a 21" Superstroke belly grip. I'll give it a try later today but it's very head heavy now which isn't bad based off of first impressions put I will see how it plays out. I'll try to post a picture later tonight.

Also, the clubfitter/repair shop owner didn't charge me because I'm on the high school team which was very cool and I also scheduled a fitting for the R1 for next week. He also told me he would cover it which took me by surprise and I offered to pay but I guess that will be covered anyways, that really shows his class. So I will probably write about my experience because I have never been fitted by him and it's the least I can do, the more publicity the better. I saw a plaque in his shop that had the title of "PGA Fitter of the Year" for 2012 and I've heard good things about him so I'm really looking forward to getting fit.

That's really cool of him. Hope the R1 fitting goes great

Good luck with the new stick.....heavy headed putters can work well for some people. Took a very quick picture of my Frankenstein esque belly putters just now whilst venting at the death of cleveland (squares on a putter...)

Sorry not great but it's late and I'm not getting the camera out when I've got the iPad to hand. Won't get asked to review much with that quality of picture!

So that's a Nike Drone cut to 37.5 inches (waiting on new grip), Yes Sandy cut to 37.5 inches (fitted with Superstroke 17 inch grip) and lastly a Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 50 cut to 34.5 inch (fitted with a Superstroke fatso). The NC is going in the bag for a few weeks as the Yes has gone a bit cold on me.

image.jpg

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Last year I scored a sweet deal on a Mizuno Bettinardi BC5 that was a belly cut down to 35".  It did have a lot of head weight (395 gram head).  To the best of my knowledge, it didnt have an lead tape added to the top of the shaft or anything.  The putter worked fine but the head weight was something that took some getting used to.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 6 years later...

Resurrecting a dead thread here.  

I just bought a really nice Spider Rossa belly putter from the Goodwill auction site for pretty cheap.  I'm thinking about cutting it down straight through the grip with a hacksaw to test out the weight and see if I need to counterbalance it before putting a new grip on.  Has anyone done something like this?  Any issues?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Resurrecting a dead thread here.  
I just bought a really nice Spider Rossa belly putter from the Goodwill auction site for pretty cheap.  I'm thinking about cutting it down straight through the grip with a hacksaw to test out the weight and see if I need to counterbalance it before putting a new grip on.  Has anyone done something like this?  Any issues?

It should work fine. This was a strategy for players that used belly putters when they banned them. Ideally you would use it like a belly putter where the butt end would always point to where it would touch your belly.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just to wrap this up, it worked just fine.  For the time being, I have the top finished with some black electrical tape trimmed to match the shape of the grip.  I'll regrip at some point in the future if my wife wants that (it's for her).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino