whiskey golf

Cutting Down Shaft on Belly Putter

Our Sponsors

I got the putter cut down today to 38" and put on a 21" Superstroke belly grip. I'll give it a try later today but it's very head heavy now which isn't bad based off of first impressions put I will see how it plays out. I'll try to post a picture later tonight.

Also, the clubfitter/repair shop owner didn't charge me because I'm on the high school team which was very cool and I also scheduled a fitting for the R1 for next week. He also told me he would cover it which took me by surprise and I offered to pay but I guess that will be covered anyways, that really shows his class. So I will probably write about my experience because I have never been fitted by him and it's the least I can do, the more publicity the better. I saw a plaque in his shop that had the title of "PGA Fitter of the Year" for 2012 and I've heard good things about him so I'm really looking forward to getting fit.

I got the putter cut down today to 38" and put on a 21" Superstroke belly grip. I'll give it a try later today but it's very head heavy now which isn't bad based off of first impressions put I will see how it plays out. I'll try to post a picture later tonight.

Also, the clubfitter/repair shop owner didn't charge me because I'm on the high school team which was very cool and I also scheduled a fitting for the R1 for next week. He also told me he would cover it which took me by surprise and I offered to pay but I guess that will be covered anyways, that really shows his class. So I will probably write about my experience because I have never been fitted by him and it's the least I can do, the more publicity the better. I saw a plaque in his shop that had the title of "PGA Fitter of the Year" for 2012 and I've heard good things about him so I'm really looking forward to getting fit.

That's really cool of him. Hope the R1 fitting goes great

Good luck with the new stick.....heavy headed putters can work well for some people. Took a very quick picture of my Frankenstein esque belly putters just now whilst venting at the death of cleveland (squares on a putter...)

Sorry not great but it's late and I'm not getting the camera out when I've got the iPad to hand. Won't get asked to review much with that quality of picture!

So that's a Nike Drone cut to 37.5 inches (waiting on new grip), Yes Sandy cut to 37.5 inches (fitted with Superstroke 17 inch grip) and lastly a Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 50 cut to 34.5 inch (fitted with a Superstroke fatso). The NC is going in the bag for a few weeks as the Yes has gone a bit cold on me.

image.jpg

I've tried the putter for a couple days and I think it'll work really well. I like the heavy head so there's no need to change the feel.

Last year I scored a sweet deal on a Mizuno Bettinardi BC5 that was a belly cut down to 35".  It did have a lot of head weight (395 gram head).  To the best of my knowledge, it didnt have an lead tape added to the top of the shaft or anything.  The putter worked fine but the head weight was something that took some getting used to.

Resurrecting a dead thread here.  

I just bought a really nice Spider Rossa belly putter from the Goodwill auction site for pretty cheap.  I'm thinking about cutting it down straight through the grip with a hacksaw to test out the weight and see if I need to counterbalance it before putting a new grip on.  Has anyone done something like this?  Any issues?

Resurrecting a dead thread here.  
I just bought a really nice Spider Rossa belly putter from the Goodwill auction site for pretty cheap.  I'm thinking about cutting it down straight through the grip with a hacksaw to test out the weight and see if I need to counterbalance it before putting a new grip on.  Has anyone done something like this?  Any issues?

It should work fine. This was a strategy for players that used belly putters when they banned them. Ideally you would use it like a belly putter where the butt end would always point to where it would touch your belly.

Just to wrap this up, it worked just fine.  For the time being, I have the top finished with some black electrical tape trimmed to match the shape of the grip.  I'll regrip at some point in the future if my wife wants that (it's for her).

• Like 2