TESTERS WANTED! ×

Letter to Piedmont CC

SPY ZINGER

I remember reading this last year when it surfaced.  I was reminded by it yesterday, and wondering, does anything like this go on at your clubs.  I have seen some odd things in the locker room from time to time, but its usually a wedding party that has access to the locker rooms during their ceremony.

Again, I realize it's over a year old, but just the same, wondering what's going on at your club.

--------

John C. Weitnauer

119 Peachtree Circle, NE

Athens, Georgia

May 20, 2012

John R. Holder

President

c/o Gary Lanneau, General Manager

at glanneau@drivingclub.com

Piedmont Driving Club

1215 Piedmont Avenue, NE

Atlanta, GA 30309

Dear John:

I have heard that, during and after the latest member/member golf tournament, a great deal of — to put it mildly — inappropriate behavior occurred.

I have heard the following:

• several members decided to play several holes with no shirts. I am sure that this is contrary to the rules of the golf course. Had this been the only infraction of good manners that apparently occurred at the tournament, I would not be writing this letter.

• one member decided to play the 14th hole completely naked. I have not researched it, but I suspect this is a crime in Georgia

• several members urinated on one of the greens, in the presence of the caddie, a female, and one or more of the members deliberately exposed themselves to her while urinating. I suspect that this is also a crime in Georgia.

• one member decided to show off to other members, and a caddie, his ability to pick up a golf ball with his naked butt cheeks. I suspect that this behavior — if it occurred at Bobby Jones Golf Course — would have resulted in a call to the police and the arrest of the offender.

• several members decided to deliberately hit onto the green while the group ahead of them was putting on that green, with the announced intention of hitting the members who were putting. I don't know if you've ever been hit by a golf ball, but I believe that if a golf ball hits someone in the head, it can be fatal, or if it hits someone in the eye, the victim can be blinded in that eye. I don't know if deliberately trying to hit someone with a well struck golf ball is a crime in Georgia, but I suspect that it probably falls within one or more criminal statutes.

• on Friday night, one of the drunken golfers passed out in the men's grill, and another member opened his pants, pulled out his penis, and slapped the passed out member's head with his penis.

• on Friday night, after the golf day was finished, several members were extremely drunk and disorderly. (I suppose this is no surprise —- I am told that, on Friday alone, more vodka and beer was consumed than had ever been consumed in the two days of any prior member/member tournament).

• on Friday night, the noise made by several of the drunken and disorderly members was so obnoxious that a rehearsal dinner in the main dining area of the golf club was, of course, disturbed. When someone from the rehearsal dinner came into the men's grill to as that the drunken members quiet down, the response from one of the drunken golfers was "Go FXXX yourself."

• relations between the drunken golfers and rehearsal dinner did not improve — apparently several of the drunken golfers decided to "moon" the persons attending the rehearsal dinner.

In my mind, this behavior — if true — is horrific. I hope the Board has investigated, with both the golf club staff and the caddies on duty during the tournament, any and all allegations of such behavior.

If it is true that the drunken members disturbed the rehearsal dinner in any of the ways that I was told, I hope the Club has completely refunded the charges to the host of that dinner, and fined the drunk and disorderly members in at least and equal amount.

If it is true that any member has (i) cavorted naked on the golf course; (ii) urinated on a green in the presence of a caddie; (iii) deliberately hit onto a green with a group was putting; (iv) or "mooned" anyone at the Club, I hope the Board has (a) expelled those members and (B) will publicly post a report of such behavior and the sanctions imposed.

This behavior is far more offensive, and far more corrosive to the health and well being of the Club, than the late payment of a bill, which is routinely posted to bulletin boards throughout the Club, presumably to shame those guilty of such an infraction. This behavior, if confirmed, and the sanctions imposed by the Board, should be well publicized throughout the Club. Among other things, let the wives and children of these drunkards be confronted with, and ashamed by, the grotesque conduct of their husbands and fathers.

By the way, I don't think our staff can be expected to stop such behavior — all they can expected to do is to ask a member to behave appropriately, and if such a request is disregarded, report the misbehavior to the Board. The Board should be quick to impose harsh sanctions on such behavior — only then can we expect it will not be repeated.

I also hope the Board will discuss these events in detail, and the Board's actions in response to this behavior, at the upcoming Annual Meeting.

I would also appreciate it if you would forward copies of this letter to other officers of the Club, the members of the Board, and the members of the golf committee.

Very truly yours,

John C. Weitnauer

Posted Image

This is pretty shocking, hard to believe this all happened at a private club.

It's almost easier for me to believe that this is a private club. I'm sure that a genuine sense of ownership and entitlement gave the members in question what they thought was the right to act in whatever manner they wanted.

That's just too bad.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Richard, it's real.  Was on the local news.  Members weren't banned or fined either, just warned.  It was covered pretty extensively here.  (And yes, I know the articles below say they were fined, they weren't).

Oh, and it's Piedmont Driving Club.

Here's some of the coverage from the local rag: http://blogs.ajc.com/the-buzz/2012/05/31/scene-on-the-green-drunken-antics-reported-at-piedmont-driving-club/

Though what they don't mention is that the club has gone down hill a lot since it was a "status" symbol.  It happened for years, but it's finally coming out.

Here's the NY Daily News article on it: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/piedmont-driving-club-exclusive-atlanta-club-deals-fallout-drunken-naked-golf-tournament-article-1.1093425

Why it did the underlining, I don't know.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wow!  I could not imagine acting like that regardless of the course.  The accused must have some good connections if they were not banned from the club.  I can't imagine any other scenario where that behavior would be tolerated.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

It's almost easier for me to believe that this is a private club. I'm sure that a genuine sense of ownership and entitlement gave the members in question what they thought was the right to act in whatever manner they wanted.

That's just too bad.

I see what you mean by this, a sense of entitlement can cause some people to do strange things. I would just think that members of a private club would hold themselves to higher standards.

Unfortunately, not only is it real, but I think for anyone that has played many of the private tracks around the metro Atlanta area,  it really isn't all the surprising.  

First, let me remind everyone of the city that we are discussing.  This is still very much a redneck city.  It is a city where alcohol flows freely, and in many cases stupidity is rewarded. Many acts of stupidity are prefixed with 'y'all watch this, here, hold my beer'.  

As I read through that, I thought to myself, sound about right, with many members in the instance being sales people from some of our larger resident companies.  The behavior seems consistant.  

After all, this is a city where one of the bigger local golf events for many years was put on by one of the largest strip clubs in the city.  It was an event that was well liked by many ( and truly reviled by others ), as it featured a nice private course, free flowing booze, large prizes, good food.  

Oh, and strippers wearing only their thongs as caddies, and though I was never present, I have heard plenty of stories of the thongs not being worn for the entire round, depending upon how much money was in play.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I grew up in NY and saw some pretty crazy things on the golf course.  But, none of these were at private courses like Piedmont CC (used to live near Piedmont when I lived in Atlanta).

One of the courses had an annual tournament for the Prison workers and a friend of mine got so drunk that he played the last hole naked, then walked right into the bar and continued to drink at the bar, buck naked. 

One time another friend of mine and I were playing in a tournament for charity and it was a big drinking fest.  Between the gazillion blood Mary's and jolly ranchers he was scarfing down, he ended up vomiting all over the 18th green.

I guess on some level I can understand the nakedness and the vomiting.  I don't understand purposely urinating on a green.

YR

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

It's very much real. I know several of the people who were involved, including the gentleman who wrote the letter. Without going into to details, I assure you nothing good came from this for anyone, including the author of the letter.

Any chance of going into the details? :ph34r:

Posted Image

Dude, I hope you and Zinger didn't take it as me doubting him, cuz I tried to make it clear that my astonishment wasn't directed at him. It's just that this type of behavior transcends tasteless, tacky & vulger and is criminal.

And I would be curious regarding the professional positions of the men invoved.

Thanx for postin the link!

Have a good week

My Best,

Richard

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Oh, nah, not saying you were doubting anyone.  Just saying that while it's unbelievable, it happened, lol.  There used to be a plumbers tournament at my home course with strippers.  Needless to say, when you bought a caddie for the day, it wasn't because she carried a bag well and knew what she was doing on the golf course.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

WOW!!! Unfricking believable . I mean I have played some public courses and I do live in the "redneck Riveria" but I have not seen or heard of anything even close to this especially a private country club. That backs up what I have said for the last 10 years or so--- The world has gone slap to hell in a handbasket!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

WOW!!! Unfricking believable . I mean I have played some public courses and I do live in the "redneck Riveria" but I have not seen or heard of anything even close to this especially a private country club. That backs up what I have said for the last 10 years or so--- The world has gone slap to hell in a handbasket!

You live in Panama City Beach, FL?

In The Bag

Rookie  I live in Garden City Beach SC  6 miles south of Myrtle Beach.  The grand strand area as this is called has always as long as I remember has been called the "redneck riveria".  I had forgot but Panama City has been referred as that also. I guess we are the Carolinas version and the Georgia Alabama Florida version is Panama City.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived