Tony Covey MGS

How Forum Testers Will Be Chosen

GolfSpy STUDque

Initially posted by @GolfSpy MPR

All,

I'm going to go ahead a lock this thread from further posts, just to keep new folks from getting confused and posting their testing applications here. My sincere thanks goes to those who continue to help our new members.

For those new: read the opening few posts in this thread; they are essential instructions for getting involved in this awesome community! If you are trying to apply for a test, go back to the thread announcing the opportunity and reply to that thread.

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

Our Sponsors

Folks, please put your handicap (guess is fine) and the general area you are from in your profile (state is fine).

Yes sir will do!

This makes it a lot easier to choose you!

Cheers to this policy. I lurked on here for the last year and finally made the jump to join. I want to thank the community for all the advice on some of my questions. I never had any trolls, just thoughtful/helpful comments and suggestions. If I don't comment it is because I literally don't know what I am doing, just learning from y'all.

• Like 1

Cheers to this policy. I lurked on here for the last year and finally made the jump to join. I want to thank the community for all the advice on some of my questions. I never had any trolls, just thoughtful/helpful comments and suggestions. If I don't comment it is because I literally don't know what I am doing, just learning from y'all.

So are the rest of us

I would just add that your policy is about more than keeping things congenial and professional. The forum will succeed in its purpose if the quality is there. It will attract more interested people if it is known for excellent content, and the primary motivation behind your new rules seems to be to improve quality (driving douchebags away is secondary but an added benefit). We (I) don't want a select club, we (I) want a pool of credible/useful knowledge.

Now if only every other Forum had these qualities we could all learn a little about humility and kindness towards others. I've been a part of golf forums for over 15 years and have seen the snipping and nasty ways people treat others they really don't even know, and the way some people conduct themselves behind a computer screen is somewhat appalling at times as you know that same individual would never act that way face to face. So I like the new rules mentioned above and I try and support almost all golf sites in some way because I just love this great game and having sites like this just make my life that much better! Thanks guys really do enjoy this site!

• Like 2

Always good when you drop by TW

Thanks Rev! I plan on being around much more like I use to be when this site first started. I kind of lost interest in golf daily because I couldn't play with a bunch of family issues and then me getting injured and so on. I hope I can keep healthy enough to stay involved with golf both playing and participating in the site as much as time allows.

• Like 3

One of the key things I look for in golf forums is the equipment reviews - from *real* people, sharing their own experience. I've found online forums ("fora"?) to be more useful than the mainstream magazine articles.

So I applaud the new tester policy to maintain and even improve the quality (even tho it excludes me as a new user but, hey, I'll be around from time to time).

** Update:

After reading reviews here, and doing some of my own demo'ing / testing, I've recently purchased...

• Ping Crossover (#5)

• Cobra King F6 (6i-GW)

..and have been considering...

-- Mizuno JPX-EZ Driver

Thx MGS mods and members!!!

• Like 1

I understand that most everyone that is new is here because of the testing opportunities.  You guys are lucky.  Recently, MGS has been offering lots of products to test.  I joined just a few years ago, and Forum testing was slim.  I joined anyway because I enjoyed reading posts from the members and got to know them.  I hope y'all will enjoy your time on the forum too.

While free stuff to test is nice, along with it comes a commitment to the other members who didn't get to test.  It's really a lot of work.  People want to know what's good and what's not so good with a product.  They also want to know a little about the person testing it so they can judge if the product that you tested will be similar for them.  So, it's not just getting a club and taking it for a few swings, we are looking for a quality write-up expressing your thoughts and include lots of pictures.  Like I said, it's a commitment.  However, most testers end up becoming a part of the community and with it, get more opportunities if they choose.  

Good luck to all.

This is great!

Quite right Kenny, test the clubs, review them well and if they really don't work for you? Pay it forward. Oh and don't forget newbies, MGS doesn't take money from the big companies - their sponsors aren't huge and every dollar we give to keep the site running means more stories, more testing and guess what......probably more testing opportunities!

I was very honoured that MGS have asked me to test the Ping Crossover - keep your eyes peeled folks first posts will be incoming very very soon.

• Like 4

This makes total sense. It would be nice if people took this approach throughout all aspects of life!

I've enjoyed this website and this forum. Whenever I look to buy new clubs, balls, shoes, or bags I've looked here first. I've never been lead astray. I've only been playing golf for a few years and the stores here in Salt Lake City just push whatever the big companies want them to.

• Like 2

Good points to make Kenny. When I joined MGS I didn't have a clue what all goes on around here. I certainly didn't know they gave away equipment to average golfers like us to test. For FREE! I joined to yap and learn about all things golf. I've made quite a few friends here too. I was chosen once to test/review the SLDR when it came out. Wish I could do it over now that I've seen so many reviews and how well so many of them are done. Makes my SLDR review seem kind of lame. I remember initially thinking that I was to review the club and return it. Nope... it's mine. And I'm still playing it today.

• Like 3

I joined because of a thread. But still don't be that person that disappears after a test. Stay around, talk shop and enjoy a great community.

• Like 1

Coming from a newbie... being able to test out new product would be nice but with a newborn and not much hope of golfing a whole lot this season, being able to participate in some discussion and read about things during down time will hopefully keep me connected. Getting out for the first time tomorrow and I am super pumped! Who doesn't love going through their golf bag before their first round and rearranging, cleaning, etc.?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Ya! I love going through my bag, getting things ready for the season - I usually end up starting in January and rearranging/cleaning everything about eight times...

In fact I once took my clubs ice fishing, just to give me something to do while I waited for the rattle reels to start ringing...

• Like 1