TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sunglasses on the course: polarized or non-polarized?

Moecat

Forgetting UV protection for a moment, have any of you noticed a difference in wearing polarized vs non-polarized sunglasses in terms of reading greens, watching ball flight, etc. while on the course?  

Which do you prefer?

Lots of differing opinions on this one.  Some say stay away from polarized because it can mess up green reading and depth perception while others say it has no effect on them. 

Since the whole point of polarized lenses is to reduce glare from things like water, snow and car windows I don't think there is really a huge benefit on the course.  Also like many other products there are those that do polarization well and then there are the cheap versions.  If you have a quality pair of glasses it really shouldn't be an issue.  But the gas station specials may just end up giving you a headache.

I've heard really good things about the Oakley G30 lens for golf, but I've never tried them. 

I also don't wear sunglasses while golfing so I can't give you any personal experience.  I would have to just suggest try wearing them and see what happens.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've heard really good things about the Oakley G30 lens for golf, but I've never tried them. 

I don't really buy into the whole "specific lenses" for golf. I wear Oakleys with the grey lenses because I want the glasses for more than just golf. Basic black or grey will be a lot more useful than the pinkish G30 lenses.

I use both, but usually polarized.  For the most part, I don't think it makes much difference.  I do greatly prefer amber or bronze tinted lenses to grey on the greens, and also in general.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I use the G30 lenses.  I see no difference in green reading !  And on really sunny days, they are not dark enough.  Next time round, I'll go for photochromatic lenses again, that adapt to ambient light conditions !

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

I had those photochromatic lenses put in my last set of glasses and couldn't stand them, they were fine in bright sunlight, although they would tint REALLY dark.  It was in the 1/2 light situations that they were terrible, usually over reacting and max tinting when 1/2 tinting would have been sufficient, and no tint over full tint preferred.  Replace those lenses after about 2 weeks.

Plus, they didn't work in the car, due to being activated by UV light, which windshields block.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I have Adidas Adivista with photochromatic lenses that I use in the car, and they are BRILLIANT !  I can keep them on in a dark tunnel and they change in an instant when a reappear on the other side in bright sunlight !  I can even wear them at dusk and dawn that's how good they are !

I had those photochromatic lenses put in my last set of glasses and couldn't stand them, they were fine in bright sunlight, although they would tint REALLY dark.  It was in the 1/2 light situations that they were terrible, usually over reacting and max tinting when 1/2 tinting would have been sufficient, and no tint over full tint preferred.  Replace those lenses after about 2 weeks.

Plus, they didn't work in the car, due to being activated by UV light, which windshields block.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

For me, polarized.  But...

I use several different pairs of sunglasses, and I have personally concluded that tint color has far more impact than polarized  versus non.

Grey is the defacto standard tint color for most sunglasses, and I find that on the golf course, the drive me complete batshit crazy.  I struggle to track balls in the air, I struggle to read greens, and I struggle to find balls in the deeper grass.

I quit using my Tifosi glasses on the course and went to using the same sunglasses I run and cycle in.  The common thread is that I use either cobalt or amber/copper tinted lenses. Now for the most part, I won't pay the money for high end sunglasses, as they tend to get beat up pretty bad between the motorcycle, bicycle and running.  I typically go through about 2-3 pairs a year. 

So what do I like?  

Pipeline_MatteRed_DeuceIC.jpg

With the copper lenses that come as part of the package is one option, but on humid days, I find that they can fog a little on the course.  

Neurotoxin2_Green_PremiumIC1.jpg

Again using the copper lenses.

Now if money is not a roadblock, then I know the Oakleys are well liked, I have always found the Bolle to be a better product.

11520_600x320.jpg

They call this a brown lens, though it is very close in tint to the coppers I mentioned above.  It is a better product, but it is also 2-3x the price :-).  When they hit the ground at 30+ mph on a bike ride, you get alot more upset than when your $49 ones do :-).

At the end of the day, it really is a preference thing, but there is some science to the idea that the yellow/brown tints are more effective at filtering the green and blues that we are dealing with on the golf course than the far more generic gray lenses that are so incredibly common.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• 5 years later...

When it comes to polarized vs non polarized sunglasses, I prefer polarized of course. This is because the benefits of polarized sunglasses is obvious, for example, the reduction of discomfort for your eyes when looking at surfaces with bright colors such as a sheet of snow, or a reflective surface such as glass.

I prefer non polarized but Ive also gone to golf prism lenses. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I prefer non polarized but Ive also gone to golf prism lenses. 

I have gone through many different sunglasses over the years. The Oakley Prizm lens are the best I have come across. I have both the normal Golf prizm and the dark prizm. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Archived