TESTERS WANTED! ×

NEW INVENTION! – The Future For Golf Bags?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Why Do All Golf Bags Look Alike?

There is definite room for improvement when it comes to the comfort and ergonomics of the golf bag we all lug around the course. Golf bags are generally easy to use although because of the strap styles available the load is usually carried inefficiently. They also take a up a lot of space which can begin to cause problems with many of the current and future car designs. This bag design takes both the load issue and the size issue bags have and still keeps the bag very functional.

So what do you guys think? Can a golf bag be UNIQUE? Tell Me Your Opinion.

FOR PICS OF THE BAG:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/golf-bag-backpack/

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I've got a bit of a golf bag fetish, so I think I probably pay more attention to bags than most people. There's no shortage of unique ideas (or at least unique takes on similar ideas), but for whatever reason, nothing really seems to catch on. People like what they like, and mostly what they like is the cheapest bag that will hold their stuff.

Some of my favorite innovations that haven't really achieved mainstream success (at least not that I'm aware of):

All really cool stuff, but I do wonder how much the average golfer cares.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Interesting, not my bag so to say, but a neat design. I am sure Caddies around the world would push for this!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I like the back-pack concept except for the possibility that one may be limited to fitting 8 clubs in the bag, based on what I see in the design. That is, unless some of the club slots can hold 2 at a time.

GolfSpy T - I've seen a number of those innovations before and I like them (particularly the clip lock bag). I had not seen the Club Count before, and I think that's a pretty neat feature. Unfortunately, I totally agree with you about people wanting a cheap bag, and I'm definitely "people."

I think this backpack idea is pretty cool and looks like it would be much more comfortable. 1 thought: would my clubs be hitting me in the head? The pictures are the bottom make me think "yes." I do like the legs on this one, they look very stable.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I like the backpack, but the hitting in the head and the butt would have to be addressed. Love the cardboard mock-up. I have seen pull bags with this tiered construction.

Solar panel is one step away from getting the car stereo to work in the bag. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Like anything else...it would start slow; whether or not it would build momentum, only time would tell. The way technology is changing and updating so rapidly this day in age it's got a sporting chance. The size and features seem like they were designed for superior functionality. I'd give it a shot.

Cool looking idea, looks like a bit of pain in the ass drop off your shoulders and to get the legs out. Also, if it happens to be raining, your going to get soaked, it's going to run off the bag down your back.

I have a Sun Mountain with the hook type system round your waist, the bag is the best investment I've made. Helps a lot with stopping the bag bouncing with the bag.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

The best invention ever for a bag is dual cooler compartments that drain outside the bag! Priceless!!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Maybe the best ever golf bag made, full of inovations, yet made almost 30 years ago!!

2593501.jpg

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Maybe the best ever golf bag made, full of inovations, yet made almost 30 years ago!!

2593501.jpg

Have you the tour player's with the LCD screens in them that advertise sponsor's. Definitely thinking outside the box. Pretty sure the caddys hate the idea though.

53246_1_468.jpeg

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I agree with sactown.

Physics: If you make room in the head area that will take away from the butt space. If you make space in the butt area you may need a helmet.

Pace of Play: It would probably add an extra 20minutes total per player to set it down/pick it up versus a conventional standbag.

Cart use: I guess that would be practically impossible.

Hopefully it will evolve into a great product after a few tweaks.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that the bag design is practical if you're playing golf while hiking the Appalachian Trail but the idea of dropping it off your shoulders and then putting it back on again seems to be way too much work for me.

As far as bag design goes I think that the Izzo dual strap has been the last significant improvement carry wise.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

the design with the back pack style is right how the clubs sit straight up and down ur spine is off. The clubs need to either go to one side or make a X 7 one direction 7 the other but this would make u look like some type of huge manly butterfly walking around

But i would for go the embarassment of the look of it if it saved my back

I work on a neurosurgery floor back and neck surgies all day long and see the same people back time and time again so lets says a fusion of ur spine is not a good thing and i love walking and carrying my bag, since im 25 i am to macho to use a pull cart lol

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

One guy here eliminated the bag entirely. He put a couple of bars and plastic clips on a folding suitcase cart and just clipped the clubs on. It made perfect sense to me as the whole thing was very light and he only carried what he needed along with his 14 clubs. The clips also eliminated the threat of bag chatter.

Granted that the clubs were exposed to the elements but he was a pretty old guy who liked pulling his own and didn't play in the rain for health reasons. Too bad his idea didn't catch on here as we are mostly required to have caddies whenever we play.

Shambles

I have to have a cart bag with lots of pockets and an insulated cooler pouch or I am lost on the course!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

GolfSpy T - I've seen a number of those innovations before and I like them (particularly the clip lock bag). I had not seen the Club Count before, and I think that's a pretty neat feature. Unfortunately, I totally agree with you about people wanting a cheap bag, and I'm definitely "people."

I think this backpack idea is pretty cool and looks like it would be much more comfortable. 1 thought: would my clubs be hitting me in the head? The pictures are the bottom make me think "yes." I do like the legs on this one, they look very stable.

Agreed. Looks like I would need a hard hat to protect me from my clubs from klanking off the back of my head! :(

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great concept for walkers - not sure how it will play with those who like light weight bags but ride majority of the time. Probably will stick with PING or Titleist...

TM Superdeep TP 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard

TEE CB3 15 Motore Tour

Adams Idea Pro Tour Issue 20 KBS Hybrid

Titleist AP2 4-PW KBS Stiff

Taylormade XFT 52, 58, 64 KBS Hi-Rev Stiff

Cameron Coronado Welded Neck T Stamp

Taylormade Red (If they still made em)

Two questions:

1. Is it convenient. Is this thing going to be easy to take off and put on?

2. Am I going to get whacked in the head by my clubs?

Make sure those two issues are taken care of and I'm all in. Sounds like a great concept for the walking duffer.

99 percent of all cart bags out there still allow the clubs to clank and clink. I know that you can put club covers on but they are time consuming and often get lost on the court. I do not remember which manufacturer made it, but there was a bag that tilted out toward the rear of the cart and the clubs sat in the bottom portion of the diamond shaped slot. This was a great improvement but I can not find this bag any longer.

In my way of thinking, the problem is the golf cart. We need to revamp the cart so the clubs are in front of the driver and passenger instead of behind them. The clubs should lay in a V shape that is biased toward the side of the cart that the occupant exits the cart. In other words: the driver exits the cart and the clubs are in front of him angling out to the left. The passenger leaves the cart and the clubs are angling out to the right. This angle would allow the clubs to ride in the bottom of the diamond shaped divider and put the clubs in front of the driver and eliminate the time behind the cart.

• 3 weeks later...

Current stand bags are still better because its so easy to pick them up and put them down. In this new design, the straps are hanging below the bag, behind the legs when it is standing. You would have to bend down and reach underneath to pick it up. Imagine trying to take it off and put it down, you cant just drop it like a normal bag. This design wasn't thought through very well. But hey...what did you expect from Maxfli?

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I see a couple of problems...

- Head bashing from clubs as others have stated

- Not as easy to carry quickly a few yards round a green or just up to next tee.

- Can't access pockets whilst walking

- How does it cope with sidehill lies?

- Clumsy to transport in boot of car

- No trolley / cart option

Other than that it's good to see someone trying to improve they way we carry clubs although I see the double strap as THE biggest improvement in the last 20 years (cue someone telling me they've been around since 1963 but they've only become popular / ubiquitous recently)

I totally agree with you about people wanting a cheap bag, and I'm definitely "people."

I think this backpack idea is pretty cool and looks like it would be much more comfortable.

I am also one of those "people"- I've never spent more than $60 on a bag- what's the point, unless it tees off and/or keeps score for me, or does my taxes?

I do like the backpack look... I guess this might boil down to one of those "wait and see" deals.

Archived