TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golfspy Dave's Golf Fitness Program-UPDATED 03/25/14

• SPY VIP

Motivation...

So today it's rainy and cold here in NorCal. Granted we are talking NorCal cold (55° high), but when the temp drops 25° in a day, it counts as cold. Needless to say, I am not heading out on the road to do my 3 miles. It'll be the gym and Mr. Treadmill today for me.

Having walked outside for the past almost 3 month, I have learned that the treadmill 3 miles is a grind vs. natural walking. It takes a whole lot more motivation and endurance to survive the boredom of that 45 minutes or so on the mill. Podcasts have been helpful to an extent (continued thanks to Opie & Anthony along with Joe Rogan) but the podcast does not have the same mind blanking power as the right song for the moment.

So as I try to work up the energy to go to the gym, I thought I would throw the following question out to you:

"What is your go to song in the gym? What's the one that can kick your energy back up, motivating you to finish?"

OK, so that's two questions, but you get the gist.

Don't filter just go with the first one that comes to mind. Here is the one that I went to first.

Stereo MC's - Elevate My Mind

When I need 3 minutes of power, that one does the trick. Tempo just keeps me going.

I have two others, specifically for the treadmill. I am not running as of yet, but when I was, these two songs are the pick up the pace songs. I still laugh at my silly brain and/or musical tastes for putting them together.

Avril Lavigne-Girlfriend

Slayer-Angel of Death

Enough of my songs, what are yours? Please share. Motivation is scarce these days!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I have many playlist but this one has been my favorite the past few months.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great work Dave

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Keep it up mate your work is fantastic!

I really need to start something like this but dont have the time at the moment which sucks and need to start small.

I would love to ask a few questions though:

1. How did you go about learning the correct squat form and deadlift (assuming your doing them) form. I really struggle with it but really want to master them.

2. what kind of base workout do you do that is golf specific? or is more of a general fitness workout?

3. Has your trainer provided you with a series of stretches at all? something along the lines of a pre-game warm up or something you can do each night before bed to increase mobility?

Hope the progress keeps coming and you smash through to that 12% goal real quick!

PS. "how do you milk an almond?" nearly got me in trouble for laughing so hard at  work lol

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

• SPY VIP

Keep it up mate your work is fantastic!

I really need to start something like this but dont have the time at the moment which sucks and need to start small.

I would love to ask a few questions though:

1. How did you go about learning the correct squat form and deadlift (assuming your doing them) form. I really struggle with it but really want to master them.

2. what kind of base workout do you do that is golf specific? or is more of a general fitness workout?

3. Has your trainer provided you with a series of stretches at all? something along the lines of a pre-game warm up or something you can do each night before bed to increase mobility?

Hope the progress keeps coming and you smash through to that 12% goal real quick!

PS. "how do you milk an almond?" nearly got me in trouble for laughing so hard at  work lol

Thanks for the encouragement and questions.

Sometimes I wonder if people are still reading this...

On to your good questions!

As for form, everything I do is under the eye of Charles. He makes sure I am not doing anything that will result in injury. I've done some big weights here and there, but he has stopped me when my form puts me in danger.

Golf training so far has really been about strength (core) and balance. We are going to work on more golf power down the road once I reach the place with my overall fitness that is stable.

We have not focused on pre-round stretching. I have an old stretch I do to limber up the hip joints. I place the grip of the driver on the ground any my hands on the head. I then balance on one leg and bring the other knee up. Sort of like if you were holding on to someone's shoulders and then you drove a knee into them. 20x per side. That and a few minutes swinging the Orange Whip seems to help the snap, krackle, & pops of the body to mellow out and be ready.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 1 month later...

Awesome work mate, glad to see the progress is still going and there hasnt been anything to slow you done as of yet. keep the updates coming :)

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Archived