Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dunning Golf Apparel

SPY ZINGER

dunning-golf-logo.png

Dunning Golf is a brand that is not new to the golf apparel market at all.  The brand was launched in 2001 by, Ralph Dunning.  Also noteworthy, it was the first complete line of apparel constructed from technical performance fabrics.  Dunning Golf offers a line of apparel that I would categorize into a “lifestyle brand.”  Although the apparel line is built from a golf foundation, the pieces can easily be incorporated into both your work and leisure activities.  Multifunctional apparel that can be worn across venues off the golf course.  Dunning Golf has a small cadre of tour players, most notably, Charles Howell III.

Charlles_Howell_2_064-bw_1.jpg

Dunning Golf promotes a system of layering that they believe is most functional across varying temperatures and climates.  They use both Scotland and Bandon Dunes as examples of golf where various elements come into play even during the same round golf golf.  They call this system of layering, the Dunning Playing System, which is a cornerstone of their business and line.  They stress that their customers should be educated in proper layering and build a cold weather wardrobe as they would a golf bag.  An interesting concept and proven system for cold weather golf, no doubt.  Their layering line consists of pullovers, sweaters, thermals, vests, and wind shirts, with a variety of technical as well as natural fabrics.

IMG_3729.JPG

I had a chance to preview their layering system by way of a polo shirt and pull over sweater.  First up was the Stretch Polo in “Halo” or black.  Although it's made from technical fabric (88% Technical Polyester 12% Spandex) if has some heft to it, which I like no matter the weather.  The collar is well done, and will keep it's shape over time.  The fit of this polo is standard, and you can even error down one size for more of a fitted look and appearance.  The Stretch Polo retails for $89: http://www.dunninggolf.com/stretch-golf-polo.html

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

Next up in the second piece of the layering platform is the Lined Merino Wind Shirt in Charcoal.  It's constructed of 51% Merino Wool, 27% Polyester, and 22% Nylon.  The result, is one of the best looking, feeling, and performing sweater/wind shirt combination I have played to date.  It's provides the perfect combination of warmth, breathability, as well as ease of movement.  The inside lining provides an excellent wind barrier.  If paired with compression fit cold gear underneath, you'll be hard pressed to find a combination when the temperatures drop below 50 degrees.  The fit of the Lined Merino Wind Shirt has a more of a tailored fit to it, but is true to size.  If you're on the bubble, error a size larger for sure, as you'll probably use this as a top layer piece.  Retail on this is at $135:  http://www.dunninggolf.com/lined-merino.html

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

This was my first experience with Dunning Golf apparel, and they have left me impressed.  I have gravitated, more and more, to pieces that can be worn both on and off the golf course, and Dunning really fits that bill nicely.  Give their layering system a look this fall/winter, it's among the better brands in golf.

IMG_3739.jpg

Posted Image

To me Dunning is more about materials than the shand out styles I like, but you can't argue with their quality! Looks good on the web also.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived