TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tight Lies

revkev

So is anyone bagging one of these and if so, what are your thoughts?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've hit both the regular and tour version. They are stupid easy to hit.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

But are you bagging them? And if not, why not?

I loved the original. I had it in my bag for five years or so. It's one weakness was off the tee. But at the time I didn't need it off the tee. I was younger and longer. I actually carried two drivers one that I used like a modern three wood. If I had a perfect fairway lie I could hit it.

I need a reliable fairway wood that I can from a variety of lies but would like the off the tee option. I may try the tight lies tomorrow. Huge tournament this weekend and 3 wood is not behaving at this point.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

But are you bagging them? And if not, why not?

I loved the original. I had it in my bag for five years or so. It's one weakness was off the tee. But at the time I didn't need it off the tee. I was younger and longer. I actually carried two drivers one that I used like a modern three wood. If I had a perfect fairway lie I could hit it.

I need a reliable fairway wood that I can from a variety of lies but would like the off the tee option. I may try the tight lies tomorrow. Huge tournament this weekend and 3 wood is not behaving at this point.

Only reason why i'm not bagging one is money, i would buy the three wood in a heartbeat if i could afford it. Im not a fan of the feel of the non-tour version shaft is the only knock i have for it. 

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I actually played a round with one before I started having Back/Neck issues. I was really impressed with the new tight lies,  Not as long as the Covert Tour 3-metal off the tee but off the fairway IT DOES outperform the Covert.   I found it REALLY easy to hit off the Deck.  The only problem is high rough, it is really easy to go "under the ball".....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Thanks both of you. I'm thinking of getting the non tour one and having my R11s shaft put in. I want trajectory and carry from the fairway. Im not going to hitting three woods from heavy rough so thats a non issue. If I need distance from thick rough I always go with squeezing out a hybrid and running it down the fairway. In former days I would do that with 5 wood. It's an affective shot for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I stumbled across the 16* and it's a nice club.  Not the best shaft, but that can be handled. It's bagged becasue I don't have anything else at that loft. It's good for 220-240 depending on your club head speed.

Titleist Long Sticks

Mizuno Irons

Bettinardi Flatstick

Srixon Balls

I stumbled across the 16* and it's a nice club. Not the best shaft, but that can be handled. It's bagged becasue I don't have anything else at that loft. It's good for 220-240 depending on your club head speed.

I would call a club that went those distances a driver. :).

I bought one today at Edwin watts. It was fun. I haven't paid for a new club in a long time. They only had 2 left in the store in the normal tight lies and then a selection of tours. They only had the R shaft in the demo. I told the kid I would only purchase a club that I hit and he said he'd sell me the demo so off we went.

Bad news at first 180 to 190. That is until I noticed the little m next to the distance. That straightened out we got into the 200 to 210 range nothing great but very consistent so worth some thought. I asked if I could bring my 3 wood in and some of my ProVIxs. First one was 220 but I hit it off a tee. Next one was a skanky 185 off to the right just what I'm struggling with. Next I hit a couple with the tight lies regular and tour. The launch was really high and both were going right but we had moved to the 215 range and misses were much better. So I said lets try the stiff shaft. Bang 215 to 220 straight down the line nice medium high trajectory off the matt or off the tee. He gave me 75 for my old 3 wood and thanked me for the fitting lesson. I told him to get the boss to invest in quality balls for the lm and went to the range.

Of course there I was stuck with crap balls but I liked the way the thing performed on the range. It fit between my 5 we'd and driver. Normal ball flight is medium with a small draw even off a tee. I can certainly hit it high if need be. I will play with it for real tomorrow. If I'm not comfortable with it I have my old F11 to use for the tournament. I will let you know how it works. 210 to 190 are significant distances at my course. A typical round requires 8 to 10 shots in that range so 5 wood or 3 wood or their equivalent are important.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Awesome to hear rev! Can't wait to hear how it plays when it counts so to speak

Looking forward to your post round review.  When I can pick up the sticks again I will surely demo this club again....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I was at my club when the rep came by and let me whack them.  As mentioned, they are stupid easy to hit.  

Bad news for me is the stock shafts just dont work for me.  I hit the 14.5 the same distance as my X-Hot 4w with my shaft in it.  Felt solid, and I'm used to notch in top from my hybrid.  If I find one with aftermarket shaft I'll give them another try.

So it sounds like this club is more effective for off the deck rather than the tee? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's fine just not as long as the baby drivers being passed off as fw by the oems. They know we're all about distance and are betting we will take a longer club over a more consistent one.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's fine just not as long as the baby drivers being passed off as fw by the oems. They know we're all about distance and are betting we will take a longer club over a more consistent one.

That makes sense, I need to eventually get fitted for a fairway wood and possibly a hybrid. I'm undecided what fairway model I would go with, maybe Titleist. I was curious about these because these give me the impression of something mainly for off the deck rather than the tee. Maybe it's because of the "versatility" of being able to hit from any lie.

It was the MO of the original tight lies whiskey. They were not at all easy to hit off a tee or a fluffy lie. I think titleist makes a More reasonable 3 wood than many.

I've reflected on Ts blog about the death of the fairway wood. I think he was partly right. The quest for distance has killed what is marketed because its practically unusable for even very good players. Very few of my low handicap friends and I mean sub 5s are comfortable hitting 3 wood from the deck. It didn't used to be that way.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Alright I'm going to take some pics tomorrow and do a member review. Shot 74 today. Hit this sucker 9 times (told you 190 to 210 was very important at my course.). I used it 5 times off the tee 3 times on 2nd shots on par 5s and once into a green. Got to hit it down wind, into the wind and cross wind left to right. Hit 4 of 5 fairways all 3 fairways on the five pars and missed the green from 210 into the wind short. I'd say I miss hit 2 but they ended up playable. I nutted the others and was especially please with how far the ball went into the wind. I had one shot out of the rough and it flew fine little draw solid contact.

74 works for me everytime. This club did its job.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Alright I'm going to take some pics tomorrow and do a member review. Shot 74 today. Hit this sucker 9 times (told you 190 to 210 was very important at my course.). I used it 5 times off the tee 3 times on 2nd shots on par 5s and once into a green. Got to hit it down wind, into the wind and cross wind left to right. Hit 4 of 5 fairways all 3 fairways on the five pars and missed the green from 210 into the wind short. I'd say I miss hit 2 but they ended up playable. I nutted the others and was especially please with how far the ball went into the wind. I had one shot out of the rough and it flew fine little draw solid contact.

Glad to hear the real world test went great

Nice!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

sweet !!!!!!  where did you play ????  I hear it is coming down in buckets in San Antonio ..

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

sweet !!!!!! where did you play ???? I hear it is coming down in buckets in San Antonio ..

I live in Florida. We are out of our rainy season. Lots of great golf days from now until June.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived