Is lighter better…Mitsubishi Vanquish shaft review/test (unofficial)

Hello spies…So, I have been playing the same Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6 in stiff for years now. I was fitted for it a while ago and have enjoyed how stable it is. But, the “lighter is better” revolution is upon us and I want to test that hypothesis. Is a lighter shaft really better?  The IZ-6S weighs in at 62 grams and has a torque rating of 3.2. My average driver swing speed is about 94 mph. Or so. I wanted something lighter without increasing torque too terribly. Of course the Autoflex comes into mind but I simply cannot afford it. The BGT Brava is another great option at 54 grams and a 4.3 torque rating. However, before the IZ-6 I always played a Mitsubishi shaft and once I saw the Vanquish color way and specs, I had to try it.

I got a great deal on a raw/uncut 5-R2 which is a 53 gram, 4.2 torque rated shaft. From the research I have done, it’s a premium offering from Mitsubishi. Apparently very stable using state of the art materials and technology. I just dropped it off at my local golf shop to have the shaft cut down to 45” tip to end of grip. My current IZ-6 measures in at 44 3/8” and has a swing weight of D-1 with a Callaway Rogue ST Max head installed. A Golf Pride CP2 Pro in Mid size will be installed matching my current setup. 

I plan on taking the Vanquish out to the range on Thursday and put it up against the IZ-6 using my MLM2Pro. Let see what all the fuss is about. Will accuracy, ball speed and distance get better? Will my draw stay as consistent as it has always been? 

IMG_2461.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

image.jpg

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was able to get out for a few holes with the new Vanquish shaft. I played the front nice with it, back nine with the Tour AD IZ. The feeling between the two is so very different. I am definitely going to have to head to the range and hit some balls on the launch monitor and make comparisons. From on course drives, the Vanquish launches significantly much higher and required a more shallow swing. I felt like I needed to force the inside out swing much more to make is consistent.

I plan on heading to the range this week for some exact numbers. 

IMG_2514.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

• 2 months later...

I was fitted for this shaft a few months ago, I tried it a few times and could not find consistency. My dispersion during the fitting was unreal and then in real life, I was all over the place and barely found a decent strike. I changed for about a month and then went back to the Vanquish and I think I have finally found my groove. I'm right around 100 MPH swing speed. How is it going for you with testing? 

MB