Pinehurst - Best Trip Setup

chadlee4

Me and 3 buddies are heading down to Pinehurst and wanted to check with some Pinehurst experts to see what the ideal trip setup would be. We will be down there for 3 days and 2 nights (Friday-Sunday) using the Donald Ross package. We are looking to play one round per day with the cradle and thistle dhu mixed in there. Any tips on which place to stay, what order to play the courses, and what to do before and after rounds would be much appreciated!

• Driver: :ping-small: G425 Max 8*
  • 3 Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone 14.5*
  • 3 Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 19*
  • Iron Set (P-4i): :callaway-small: Apex Pro 19
  • Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 50* // :cleveland-small: RTX-3 56* // :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 60*
  • Putter: :titleist-small: Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport
  • Ball: :titleist-small: ProV1

There's so much flexibility here, its hard to generalize.  I like the Carolina and the Holly better than the Manor, but I understand the Manor was recently renovated.  If the condos are the ones I'm thinking of, they're pretty small, but with a kitchen they might suit you better than hotel rooms.  

The Ross package appears to include breakfast AND dinner, so you'll be eating at the resort both nights.  I like Pinehurst Brewing for a more casual meal, smoked meats/BBQ, the restaurants at the Carolina and the Holly are more "fine dining" oriented.  

All the courses will be great, but if its me I'd save #2 for last.  

Before and after, lots of choices without getting in a vehicle.  Have a drink at the Pinecrest Hotel, once owned by Donald Ross.  If its a TV sports weekend, I like Maxie's, a non-resort bar and grill just a short walk away.  Dugans and the Drum and Quill are also decent watering holes.  Even if you don't eat there, walk into the dining room at the Holly Inn, I love the exposed roofing beams.  If you have time to kill and want to learn a bit about the history of Pinehurst, visit the Tufts Archives at the library, just across from the Holly Inn.

Most of all, have a great time!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm heading down to Pinehurst December 3-6 and doing the Donald Ross package too.   

Here's my itinerary:

Dec 3:  #8 + Check in post round

Dec 4: #4 + The Cradle

Dec. 5: #1 in the morning, range and practice time in the afternoon in preparation for #2

Dec. 6: #2 + check out

I figured with the bermuda grass and getting used to it, save #2 for the end so I'm playing at my peak.   

I'm staying at The Manor....like how it's a.) a bit cheaper) and b.) more recently renovated.  

You don't have to make reservations for Thistle Dhu so just work that in whenever.    You'll want to get The Cradle as early as possible as you'll be itching for a replay as soon as you hit your first shot and replays are included in the greens fee.  

I've been down once before (non resort guest) and dined at Pinehurst Brewing and plan on going back there for certain - their Mustard IPA bbq sauce is to die for!   Also plan one dinner in The Carolina Dining Room and one in the Tavern for their Chicken Fried Chicken.

Guessing most breakfasts will be the Southern Buffet at the Carolina as I like big breakfasts before rounds (typically don't eat lunch) and a nice way to ease into the day.   

• Driver:  Mizuno ST-Z 230  10.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue X-Stiff
  • Hybrids:  Ping G425, 2/3/4, Ping Tour 85 Stiff
  • Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal 5-GW, Dynamic Gold 120 S300
  • Wedges: Mizuno T22 54* and 58*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300 soft-tipped
  • Putter:  Sub70 005
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX