Talk some sense into me: PING G20 versus G425 irons

DymnDog

I've been playing PING G20's (2011) that I bought used a few years ago. I have no complaints with them. Great set (driver, woods, irons and wedges). They are definitely NOT holding my game back. 

A local guy put up a set of PING G425's (2021) irons for sale and it started me wondering if I should at least get irons newer than 10 years?

I can't find an apples-to-apples comparison of the two sets.

I'm hoping some PING aficionados might help me to 1.) rationalize the purchase and feel good about it, or 2.) snap me out of my fever dream and just keep grinding on the G20's because it's not going to provide a noticeable difference (besides the dopamine high of getting new clubs). 

Thank you! 

Edited by DymnDog

Newer is always better! JK I say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it unless you’re going to make a serious investment in new gear that’s been fit to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

At 10 years you are going to find improved tech and design of the head.

regardless it’s important to find a shaft and head combo that works with your swing and doesn’t cause you to fight the club to achieve a desired result.

are the g425 better? Probably but you could find them not to be if the shaft in this set doesn’t feel good to you

34 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

At 10 years you are going to find improved tech and design of the head.

regardless it’s important to find a shaft and head combo that works with your swing and doesn’t cause you to fight the club to achieve a desired result.

are the g425 better? Probably but you could find them not to be if the shaft in this set doesn’t feel good to you

Makes sense. The guy offered to meet me at a local range to do some side-by-side comparisons. Seems like a good idea. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

Newer is always better! JK I say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it unless you’re going to make a serious investment in new gear that’s been fit to you.

Good point. Getting fit might be a better thing to do first. Thank you.