Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
3,948 signups
Equipment Type: Wedges
Vendor: Callaway

OpusTWAll.jpg

Callaway has launched the Opus and Opus Platinum wedges with advanced SPIN-GEN face technology and refined designs. We are searching for four golfers to test, review and keep these innovative wedges.

About the Callaway Opus line

Callaway says the new Opus and Opus Platinum wedges feature SPIN-GEN face technology, a refined groove package and enhanced surface roughness for improved control and spin. The Opus Platinum model includes MIM construction and bonded tungsten weighting, offering optimized trajectory and consistency. These wedges come in multiple grinds to cater to diverse playing styles and promise significant performance enhancements.

OpusFTW.jpg

Opus and Opus Platinum options

Opus

Available in W, S, C and T grinds

Loft options from 46*-60*

Three finish options: Brushed Chrome, Black Shadow, Raw

Opus Platinum

Available in S and Z grinds

Loft options from 54*-60*

Platinum Chrome and Platinum Blue finishes

Dynamic Gold MID Gunmetal Shaft as stock

Both feature an offset groove-in-groove technology for 54*-60* options.

The testing opportunity

We are looking for four golfers to test and review the Opus wedges. Testers will receive two wedges with different lofts but in the same model. Both Opus and Opus Platinum will be made available for this opportunity. 

Callaway claims significant performance enhancements with these new wedges and we want to see how they perform in the hands of our members and everyday golfers.

OpusTW3.jpg

• Must be a registered Forum member to be selected. 
  • Only open to members in North America. 
  • Registration closes Aug 14.
  • Testers will be announced on the Forum Aug 20.

397 Comments

49 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I could be completely off here but if the tungsten is at the top then the cg moves up which in turn can lead to lower launch and higher spin similar to a driver. 

So it's helping the dynamic loft numbers is what I am guessing but how does the higher CG lead to those more ideal dynamic loft numbers? Especially because they're only offering higher lofts. Like I could see this being helpful in a 50 degree, flight the ball lower. I would think your average golfer doesn't hit a 54 much past 100 yards, so what difference is a lower ball flight going to make? 

4 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

So it's helping the dynamic loft numbers is what I am guessing but how does the higher CG lead to those more ideal dynamic loft numbers? Especially because they're only offering higher lofts. Like I could see this being helpful in a 50 degree, flight the ball lower. I would think your average golfer doesn't hit a 54 much past 100 yards, so what difference is a lower ball flight going to make? 

From what I understand it's trying to help with getting those solid spin and launch numbers on shots hit slightly higher off the face, which is where most of use recreational golfers miss it. A lower ball flight with more spin is going to be more accurate on average.  I forget where, but I've seen it mentioned more than once that the ideal launch angle for wedges is loft / 2 -2.  So a 56* sand wedge should be launching around 26*.  My personal favorite, the flop shot, not included.

New wedges should really be high on my priorities since I don't have a full set and often find myself in between the clubs I have. Additionally, I'm not great and often find myself off the green and chipping on. I'm really interested in hearing how these perform. 

image.png.9345a2f2bdd624b170bf06086579ce71.png

Considering the Price on the OPUS platinum, it should guarantee backspin on the green everytime…

1 hour ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

From what I understand it's trying to help with getting those solid spin and launch numbers on shots hit slightly higher off the face, which is where most of use recreational golfers miss it. A lower ball flight with more spin is going to be more accurate on average.  I forget where, but I've seen it mentioned more than once that the ideal launch angle for wedges is loft / 2 -2.  So a 56* sand wedge should be launching around 26*.  My personal favorite, the flop shot, not included.

Alright this makes sense and I certainly do hit my wedges higher on the face. Pretty sure my 50* gap launches at like 30+* last time I checked it out. 

Will be tough to take my Vokey’s out of play. These look like they have the possibility to do that. 

I would love the opportunity to test out these Callaway wedges. Ive traditionally been a Titleist Vokey guy but have had a couple Callaway wedges in the past. Its time for some new wedges in the bag so this would be awesome! 

On 8/8/2024 at 3:18 AM, sirchunksalot said:

I'm really looking forward to this one, I'm looking to replace my wedges next season and these are on top of my list. I didn't like the look of the Jaws, but these are absolutely gorgeous. 

I'm in the same boat.  My vokey wedges are a few years old.  My son has the Jaws.  

My eyes have been on these wedges as soon as they dropped. Love that this opportunity is here.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.54.16 AM.png

I never thought a company could get this many great test in the 8 months since I've joined.. Good luck to all that apply!!

I'd love to give these a shot! My MG4 wedges are great but I haven't tried anything else besides some really old cleveland wedge from when I first started playing.
image.png.92ef79edf25fcfb9d9c1455e42f3f56e.png

This Test is now closed to further comments.