Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Los Angeles Country Clubs

Hi all. Not sure this is the right forum, but wanted to pick people's brains on LA area country clubs.

Don't have the cash or connects to join Riv or anyplace at that level, but wanted to see what people thought of / hand information on Lakeside, Wilshire and Oakmont.

I like Hacienda too, but it's just too far away and, at that point, I might as well play a 5 hour round on an LA Muni...

Thanks all in advance.

AP3 - 4 - PW

Vokey 50 & 54

Sim 2 Driver 

I lived in LA for a couple of decades. With SoCal traffic, choice comes down to what part of LA you live. Riviera, Brentwood, Bel-Air, Wilshire, Hillcrest and LACC are all high buy in options. I belonged to Palos Verdes CC, which is reasonable, beautiful and excellent George Thomas test on Bel Air level. Nearby Rolling Hills has been redone, opened up and a little pricier, I think. I never liked the vibe or shifting grounds of Trump or Mountain Gate. 

A lot depends on age in terms of price and somewhat to do with subjective criteria of each club. 

WITB: PXG Gen 6 Driver (stiff Haz RDX Stiff -1/2”), Callaway UW17 (Haz RDX Stiff), Callaway UW19 (Haz RDX Stiff -1”), Takomo 101 4-PW (KBS 105 Reg 2 flat), Miz Pro225 G (ProjX IO 6.0), Wilson Staff HT (DynGold 120 Stiff, Honma Forged 60 (SteelFiber1 10CW XStiff), Tony Penna heel shafted square flange as

Where in LA do you live?  What’s your budget and what type of course design suits you?

I was on more of a restricted budget for the top tier courses mentioned earlier therefore Riviera, Belair and Brentwood were definitely out of my

I would urge you to check out a gem called Old Ranch in Seal Beach.

Virginia CC is worth a mention. 

Edited by Steveross

Steve 

4 hours ago, Steveross said:

Where in LA do you live?  What’s your budget and what type of course design suits you?

I was on more of a restricted budget for the top tier courses mentioned earlier therefore Riviera, Belair and Brentwood were definitely out of my

I would urge you to check out a gem called Old Ranch in Seal Beach.

Virginia CC is worth a mention. 

So I'm in Los Feliz and really just looking at Oakmont, Wilshire and Lakeside. Everything else I think is too far. I'd also look at Annandale, but I hear it's insane expensive.

La Canada CC I hear isn't that great. Anything on the East Side I'm missing?

And does anyone have any idea of costs at Lakeside?

AP3 - 4 - PW

Vokey 50 & 54

Sim 2 Driver 

4 minutes ago, Steveross said:

You can’t top Lakeside for the Hollywood/Fun Vibe.  That would be my choice as I’m more fast and loose than buttoned down.  Nice course.  Great crowd snd company.  About as anti-wasp and stuck up as you can get. 

my 2 €

Totally agree with you, @SteverossTried to message you but weirdly it says I can't. Maybe I'm not approved there yet. Do you happen to know what the initiation and monthly is there? I'm assuming 100k and then 1500 a month....

AP3 - 4 - PW

Vokey 50 & 54

Sim 2 Driver 

Hi

not sure why.  I’ll check my settings. FWIW-I have no idea of cost @ clubs but I can share what I know about Old Ranch. 

My comments on Lakeside were just ramblings of a “if I only could” viewpoint. 

In full transparency, you’re talking to a guy who was driving from Playa Del Rey to seal Beach and then made the genius decision to get a puppy who is now a 60 pound pitbull.   The Dog Walker bills were starting to eclipse my bar tab…

So sadly unless I’m invited to a nice muni or back to the country club, you’re talking to a guy who plays Westchester golf course more times than he wants to admit.  feel free to email me with your # aT elporto@gmail.com with any questions.   We can chat but based on your geographical id say Lakeside or Oakmount. 

Steve 

7 hours ago, phitaumatthew said:

Totally agree with you, @SteverossTried to message you but weirdly it says I can't. Maybe I'm not approved there yet. Do you happen to know what the initiation and monthly is there? I'm assuming 100k and then 1500 a month....

Hey hey! Welcome to the forum! The messaging thing is a protective thing to avoid spammers - you need a minimum number of posts (apologies for not knowing off the top of my head, but it may be 50-ish - good news is this thread already gets you up to 5/6, so it won't take long) in order to use that feature. 

Lakeside has always been a dream of mine - I'm up in Santa Clarita, so if you decide to join and want to impress all the muckity-mucks by bringing a MGS staffer, well... You know who to call, lol. 

Regardless, let us know what you decide. I can say there are a couple of nice spots up here (Valencia CC and The Oaks), neither of which I'm a member at, so the only reciprocation I can offer is a beer after the round 😉

And if you ever wanna grab 18 at a local spot, I try to play most Fridays, so let me know!

Great to have more LA-area members!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

3 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Hey hey! Welcome to the forum! The messaging thing is a protective thing to avoid spammers - you need a minimum number of posts (apologies for not knowing off the top of my head, but it may be 50-ish - good news is this thread already gets you up to 5/6, so it won't take long) in order to use that feature. 

Lakeside has always been a dream of mine - I'm up in Santa Clarita, so if you decide to join and want to impress all the muckity-mucks by bringing a MGS staffer, well... You know who to call, lol. 

Regardless, let us know what you decide. I can say there are a couple of nice spots up here (Valencia CC and The Oaks), neither of which I'm a member at, so the only reciprocation I can offer is a beer after the round 😉

And if you ever wanna grab 18 at a local spot, I try to play most Fridays, so let me know!

Great to have more LA-area members!

Thanks for all this, Sam! Really appreciate the insight and feedback.

If I ever end up joining, you're certainly coming out for a round. And I tend to play most Fridays too, but give me a minute to get my handicap down as I'm just now getting back in after many years away so I don't want to embarrass myself!

AP3 - 4 - PW

Vokey 50 & 54

Sim 2 Driver 

30 minutes ago, phitaumatthew said:

Thanks for all this, Sam! Really appreciate the insight and feedback.

If I ever end up joining, you're certainly coming out for a round. And I tend to play most Fridays too, but give me a minute to get my handicap down as I'm just now getting back in after many years away so I don't want to embarrass myself!

Hah! All are welcome - I'm a proud 12-ish, but was 20+ 18 months ago and had some breakthroughs, so I'm very aware of the struggle 😉 of course, now I want single digits. And then to break par. And then to be on the senior tour, lol. The journey never ends. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 6/19/2023 at 10:55 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

Hah! All are welcome - I'm a proud 12-ish, but was 20+ 18 months ago and had some breakthroughs, so I'm very aware of the struggle 😉 of course, now I want single digits. And then to break par. And then to be on the senior tour, lol. The journey never ends. 

Hilarious small world, but I think you know my friend John Nguyen.

AP3 - 4 - PW

Vokey 50 & 54

Sim 2 Driver