Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Training Assistance Equipment for Open Clubface

Hello, 

Curious if anyone knows of a good training drill or a training assistance device to help me close up my club face on my driver.  I've been told I have a really good club path and good form for the most part but I have a bag habit of opening my club face about 13 degrees

Golfing is to focus yet not focus on your shot at the same time. 

Who told you that you have a good path and good form?

what were they basing it on?

If your club face is open 13° form isn’t good and path may not be that great. A face that open is either grip is wrong, improper use of the wrists in the whole swing, some issue that is causing the handle to raise 

The cause for why the face is open needs to be identified then a drill or drills can be determined

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

what were they basing it on?

If your club face is open 13° form isn’t good and path may not be that great. A face that open is either grip is wrong, improper use of the wrists in the whole swing, some issue that is causing the handle to raise

Fair point.  When I went in for my fitting I hit balls and was analyzed by the golf swing analyzer. They were two veterans there a well trying to assist with my swing. The data was showing that my club path was pretty much right on the money wth a deviation between 1-2. I was also technically hitting the ball more on the heel of the club which also contributes to my slice but the main thing was the club face being open.  When I had closed it up the back went fairly straight. I'm not saying I have perfect form but from what the two veterans were doing (1 a professional fitter who has analyzed swings and form for years) said it was mainly due to me not turning my wrist in enough(probably due to my years of playing baseball) 

Golfing is to focus yet not focus on your shot at the same time. 

9 minutes ago, Dcfrench3 said:

Fair point.  When I went in for my fitting I hit balls and was analyzed by the golf swing analyzer. They were two veterans there a well trying to assist with my swing. The data was showing that my club path was pretty much right on the money wth a deviation between 1-2. I was also technically hitting the ball more on the heel of the club which also contributes to my slice but the main thing was the club face being open.  When I had closed it up the back went fairly straight. I'm not saying I have perfect form but from what the two veterans were doing (1 a professional fitter who has analyzed swings and form for years) said it was mainly due to me not turning my wrist in enough(probably due to my years of playing baseball) 

Deviation as in standard deviation of 1-2°?  If so that’s just measuring the amount your path was changing. 1-2° isn’t bad but it’s not great. 

Or was your path 1-2° either in to out or out to in?

Not saying your fitter was bad but or good but there are lots of fitters with years of fitting experience that nao aren’t that good.

If the issue is the hair wrist then search for how the wrists work in the backswing. If you have video of your swing post it and we can see what’s going on. Baseball players have a tendency to not do some of the important things in the swing that are needed. There are lots of stories around golf forums of ex baseball players some at high levels of amateur play with lots of speed and bad mechanics because the moves that feel powerful aren’t so in the swing. Steep swings and out to in paths are pretty common and open faces with the out to in hit the heel and slice the ball