Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Hilton Head Course Recommendations

We are going to Hilton Head next summer and am looking for some course recommendations.  I have been there twice before and will list the courses that I’ve played at in addition to my thoughts.

1. Hilton Head National - absolutely love this course.  For the price, it’s awfully hard to find a better value.

2. Palmetto Dunes - Jones course - nice course but not worth the money.  Hilton Head National was $70 less and was in better shape.

3. Old South Golf Links - did not care for this course.  Part of the reason is that I played from the wrong tees.  Instead of looking at the yardage for the tees, I played the same tees that the others were playing.  Regardless, I was not a fan of the layout.

4. Oyster Reef - liked the course.  I was able to get the first tee time of the day.  It was myself and one other person and we finished the round in less than 3.5 hours

We will be going the week of July 4th.  That is when we went in the past.  I don’t want to spend $300+ at Sea Pines.  I would consider one of the other courses at Sea Pines and play after 1:00 when the price drops.  I do play to play HH National again.  The course never disappoints and the staff are wonderful.  I’m open to all suggestions.  BTW, we will be staying at the Disney resort.  I am a Disney Vacation Club Member.

I played the Palmetto Dunes Fazio Course and remember it being a fun track. However, it was about 12 years ago. It was the only course I've ever seen air conditioning in the carts. They used one of the coolers and packed it with dry ice and the seat had a pressure switch to activate a fan that pumped the air through a hose behind you. Twilight rates are only $110. 

And then obviously depending on budget Harbor Town is a budget list course imo.

Have a great trip!

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a buddy that's begging me to set up a Hilton Head golf trip for next summer as well! We played tennis in college and our team would travel down to Hilton Head for a weeklong tournament every year. Unfortunately, I rarely ever played golf during our tennis season because the swings are so different. However, I did play Hilton Head National one year and I agree with you... for the price that was a great course! With that being said Harbour Town and Atlantic Dunes are on my bucket list. Also, as someone who loves Pete Dye courses Heron Point is on my list as well!

For another cheaper option I also heard really good things about Old South Links while I was down there, but I think that course was actually in Bluffton and not Hilton Head. 

Driver: Ping G410

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 3H

Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway JAWS 52, 56; Cleveland RTX 58 (old trusty) 

Putter: Taylormade Spider 

Balls: Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

I have played Old South and was not crazy about it.  I do think the fact that we played on tees that were much longer than we are used to had a lot to do with it.  Old South is in Bluffton and is practically next to HH National.

I'm thinking that I'm going to try Dolphin Head or Golden Bear as a warmup and then will hit Hilton Head National and then Heron Point.  I may get a 4th round in.  We are going to HH again in 2026 so I do plan on playing Harbour Town in either 2025 or 2026.