Testers Wanted: Vortex Rangefinders ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
4,233 signups
Equipment Type: Tech
Vendor: Garmin

Testers Wanted: Garmin Approach S70

image.png

It is commonplace now for golfers to have some sort of GPS or Shot tracking system while on the course. There are a lot of options available as well. From apps to enhanced rangefinders to clips and of course watches. 

All have their own unique potential benefits and potential drawbacks, but the Garmin Approach S70 aims to narrow that being a premium GPS Golf Smartwatch which you can use not only on the course, but in your day to day life as well. 

The Garmin Approach S70 has a variety of features including: Bright 1.4-inch amoled touch display, pre-installed with 43,000 golf courses worldwide, optimized playslike distance, an improved virtual caddie including green contour data as well as a variety of health and fitness features. 

Available in two sizes and three different colors there is an option that should suit any golfer. Claiming to have an impressive battery life that lasts up to 14 days in smartwatch mode and up to 15 hours in GPS mode. It also claims to be waterproof for those who like to play in the rain and has a 5 ATM water resistance rating. 

On the surface there is a lot to like about the Garmin Approach S70 as it will seemingly do it all both on and off the course, which is where you come in. MyGolfSpy is looking for 4 golfers who will test, review and keep the Garmin Approach S70. 

MCE-7760_20230329_Support_ROD_1868_RGB.jpg

This testing opportunity is open to golfers in the US & Canada! It also works for both left and right handed golfers!

Interested in testing and telling us what you think about all the features of the Garmin Approach S70? Sign up before it is too late! 

This testing opportunity will close August 2nd and we will announce the selected testers August 8th on the MyGolfSpy Forum.

343 Comments

It's a perfect time to try this out. I've tried both the Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy watches lately, with assorted apps, and found them pretty lacking. Been thinking a "single use" item like this is probably the right idea. Previously (and currently, since the watches haven't done the job, for various reasons) I've used a low end rangefinder, which has mostly been fine.

I currently use a precision pro range finder plus GPS and course maps on the grint app, when GPS isn't on the cart.

Always willing to try something new and see if there is an even better option.

I use both a Garmin watch and a LAser range finder. Frequently surprised at the discrepancy between them! Most of the time about 3 yd which is reasonable given the different methods involved but sometimes it is so much apart that I wonder if my watch is on the right hole! Prefer the watch because some holes you can't get a clean read of the pin. I play 2x a week minimum so will be able to test the watch on a variety of courses (not a golf club person!).

I currently use a combo of  a Nikon Coolshot Pro (1st version) and the paid version of the GolfPad app for my distance measuring, depending on the situation.  I get most data from the GolfPad GPS on my Samsung Galaxy Watch 3, so I have experience (and something with which to compare the Garmin) using a GPS app on my watch.

Very interested!  I used a Garmin s62 but switched to an Apple Watch running Golfshot Pro.  The Garmin I had worked flawlessly but I just liked the screen on the Apple Watch.  Interested to see the battery life difference between the two!  

I would love to test the Garmin S70. I currently use the Garmin S60 and a Rangefinder for distance measurement. My country club has a multiple blind approach shots so I rely on my watch for critical help, especially on California's toughest finishing hole. I used to frequently miss the green with no idea where I may have landed until I got my S60. I play so much I wear my Garmin all the time. I would love to review the new features and performance of the latest version. I work for a retail/technology company and frequently preview or beta test their new devices. I would put the S70 to the test.

I've been using a combination of tectectec rangefinder and golf watch for the past couple of years. Love them both for their simplicity and accuracy as well as their price point. It would be fantastic to test the differences between my present golf watch and the pricy Garmin.

I use Hole19 mainly for score keeping and a Bushnell Pro x3 for yardage. I would love to test this out to see if I could simplify things and have a better choice for club recommendations.

I would really like to give this watch a try. I have been using the Garmin S60 for a few years now for the front, middle and back of the green yardages, and combine it with a Bushnell rangefinder for zeroing in on the pin location. It has been a really good GPS, though the battery is starting to not last as long as I'd like (can barely get a round in before it's almost dead). Good luck to all - I will be looking forward to the results.

I currently use the Garmin S60 and a range finder.  The places I hit from don't always have a clear line of sight to the green so me and my playing buddies use my S60 to get a good distance to the pin.  It's also beneficial on blind shots as it has an indicator arrow showing where the center of the green is.  My buddies are always asking me for layup numbers since my watch can give all the standard numbers (100, 150, etc.) along with a specific point that I tap on the map.  I have the club sensors as well but don't recommend them as they don't last long (less than a year for me, but over 100 rounds) and are fairly expensive.  I would be interested in comparing the new S70 to my current S60.

Would love to test the Garmin. I presently use Arccos, Voice Caddie VC4 clip-on GPS, Voice Caddie A2 Golf Watch and a PrecisionPro laser. I'm a retired electrical engineer and love gadgets. Garmin has a great reputation in gps, so I would be glad to compare to my other devices.

I have been looking at farming watches like this and when walking a lot because of tournaments pulling range finder out can be a little more than I like because of how I play. But being able to just have the distance and all the information of the course would be amazing. I would love to try this out!

N00b on the forum and throwing my hat in the ring. I've never used any kind of shot tracking app/device or even a range finder, so I think I would be an ideal tester for determining ease of use and if it improves your game at all.

I have been in the market for a new watch of some sort. I been using my Apple Watch with 18 birdies and a rangefinder. But I find the watch loses sync with my phone and it’s sometimes frustrating. I had been thinking of a Shotscope device and I wondered if this is comparable?

Hi Have been tossing the idea of going back to the GPS style (watch) system as I am always going back to cart or course looking for my Rangefinder I left behind. Would love the opportunity to try these Garmin. Great brand. Good Luck to all. 

Currently use garmin fenix 5 and a bushnell range finder with slope. I am very interested in the s70 for the slope rating feature and the virtual caddie.

Have used a Garmin Vivoactive 3 but upgraded my phone to a Samsung and then used my Precision Pro Nx7 S so haven't used GPS for some time. Would love to replace my older Samsung watch with this unit. Older Garmin was a battery hog so this looks much better. Still have 4 months left in my golf season so lots of time to give proper feedback.

This Test is now closed to further comments.