Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Costco Kirkland Signature V2 golf ball defect

gooberus

Anyone else come across this?  I was playing the Kirkland V2 golf balls and noticed groove marks on the ball.  Knowing my game, I immediately dismissed it and figured I hit a fence or cart path.  When these groove marks started showing up more regularly, I began testing by hitting brand new balls out of the sleeve into my home practice net.  To my surprise, every solid shot left groove marks that matched that on my Macgregor Tourney irons (see image).  It's as if the outer shell is so paper thin that it is ripping during contact.  To rule out my clubs being the problem, I then hit other golf balls without leaving any groove marks.  Could this be another Costco golf ball defect similar to that in 2019?

kirklandV2DefectiveBalls.jpg

I haven’t seen this from them. I just played two rounds using the same Kirkland ball and had nothing like this happen. I just bought two packs since they’re only $19.97 right now so hopefully I won’t comes across this problem and it’s just a bad batch.

I asked a buddy who has played Kirkland balls religiously since the first models were released (even though I've been begging him to stop and read the MGS ball reviews on these https://mygolfspy.com/labs/ball-lab-kirkland-performance-v2-review/ and save his money!) and he hasn't seen this either.

@gooberusthis is definitely a mystery I'm not sure worth solving!  Try the Maxfli Tours for only $5 more/dz at Golf Galaxy! 

WITB - :taylormade-small:Dr: Taylor Made SIM2 Tensei AV blue; :callaway-logo-1:3W, 4H, 5H: Callaway Strata Ultimate; 6-9i: Callaway Strata Ultimate; PW: Callaway JAWS MD5 46deg W grind, 12deg bounce; AW: Callaway JAWS MD5 52 deg W grind, 12deg bounce; SW: Callaway JAWS MD5 56 deg S grind, 12deg bounce; LW: Callaway JAWS MD5 60deg W grind, 12 deg bounce; Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 1 blade :odyssey-small:Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X

I have found that the kirkland balls do mark up a bit quicker than other urethane balls. I wonder if at certain temps the cover becomes a bit more pliable? Hopefully it's just a bad batch!

Driver: Mizuno STZ, HZRDUS Smoke Green 60S, 9.5 Degree 

3 Wood:  Taylormade M2 (2019)

Hybrids:  Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 degree, Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4

Irons:  Adams XTD (Looking to upgrade!)

Wedges:  Taylormade Milled Grind

Putter:  Odyssey #7

Ball: Vice Pro Plus, Taylormade Tp5x, Kirkland 

Push Cart Mafia - Clicgear 4.0  (See more here)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 7:02 PM, dback said:

I have found that the kirkland balls do mark up a bit quicker than other urethane balls. I wonder if at certain temps the cover becomes a bit more pliable? Hopefully it's just a bad batch!

I haven't got my hands on these (no Costos in Finland and shipping plus tax and customs outside of EU... not worth it), but you may have a point. The cover and paint can most definitely be softer in hot climate, I have felt difference even here in Finland, where it can be anything from +5 to +35 Celsius in June. Same make and model ball can feel like a rock compared to warm days (of course the real difference is small, but it's possible to feel it).

Most likely I'd brush that Kirkland case off as a bad batch though. Rick Shiels tests (or tested, I'm notsure if he does it still) those balls by hitting 10 or so bunker shots with a brand new ball and compare it to ProV1. Kirkland v1 was excellent in other areas, but scuffed quite a bit in that bunker test. I don't remember how the v2 fared there (othwerwise it was quite on par with ProV1).

WITB: TaylorMade M2 driver (2017), Adams Tightlies 16deg fw, Wilson Staff 21deg hybrid, 4-PW Wilson FG Tour Forged V2 irons, Rommy Armour 52 and 60 deg, Wilson Staff 56deg, Seemore putter.

Starting the 2023 season with a 28.4 HCP.