Unofficial Member Review: The Swingman Grint App Rangefinder

Just_the_Chip

So I wanted to lead this off, that this forum gave me the exceptional opportunity to test out the Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder. You can find my review for it here. 

With that being said, an opportunity came up to try out the new Swingman Rangefinder that integrates with the app that I use the most, The Grint. I'm sure there are a bunch of other reviews about Apps, but honestly, The Grint has been by far my favorite and it's ability to integrate into GHIN has been amazing. 

The Precision Pro is easily the BEST rangefinder I have tried to date and all of it's feature and it's build quality was exceptional, but I had only a few gripes. In summary, I wish it integrated with the Grint, I wish that I didn't have to switch screens to see Front Back and Center and the flag I lasered, and finally, the find my feature beep just needed to be louder. 

I picked up this rangefinder at half off, since it is brand new and I was a premium member. My wife, has wanted a rangefinder, and so I saw this as an opportunity. 

Out of the box, the rangefinder comes with a decent case. Zippered as well as a carbiner for hanging and an elastic cord. It had a charging cable, a cleaning cloth, as well as a clip (nice) for the rangefinder to attach to your bag. 

First Impressions

Compared to the PP it is lighter and it feels smaller. The fit and finish definitely feels more rubber and just stamped. It doesn't have that nice quality heft that the precision pro has. The switch for the slope is very nice and clicks nicely, and the magnet appears to be strong. You can find Gaps though in the finish and that was bothering me. It feels closer in quality to the cheaper Amazon rangefinder that I had previously. The quality of magnification is fine and okay. I would say it's almost comparable to the Precision Pro and better than my cheaper amazon rangefinder. The focus lens is easy to grab with a glove and turn. 

thumbnail_B751113A-006D-42AA-AA06-F7161AD7DDD5.jpg.09a82dde9f53317d93b56479495e7324.jpg

thumbnail_ADDF3DB3-FD84-4D65-BFA0-3507AC3617BF.jpg.fa714645beec5cc7b6a137e611ee31e1.jpg

thumbnail_B222C394-446C-493E-A018-EAEA59D3E86D.jpg.a4dee8f034f274418d921c610056ee33.jpg

Use

Connecting it to the app Takes seconds. It's a super quick connection and so far I haven't had to reconnect. Looking down the lens at the flag you do get a clear picture. HOWEVER, when you focus in, the DATA gets blurry. It was almost as if you had to bring the flag into perfect focus in order to read the data clearly. All other rangefinders it felt as if the data on the lens as independent. This was very weird. As you move hole to hole, the transition is seemless, but let me tell you... THERE IS A LOT of data on the screen. At first it is alarming. You have the Yardage, the Slope Yardage, The bluetooth connection, the battery, then you have front center back, as well as a mini green that interprets the flag position and gives you a flag representation. At first I found it too much data, but now being several rounds in, I've just gotten used it. The idea that it quickly shows you the orientation to the flag in relation to the green, is actually really helpful and incredibly nice. 

As for accuracy. It was spot on 100% with the Precision Pro as well as my friends Nikon. The Front Center Back is all GPS based and heavily reliant that the Grint has it right based upon it's course information in the app. As you move from hole to hole, the new Green information will be displayed in the rangefinder. IF you do not have your phone screen on Always on, or it times out, you will find yourself having to open the app up and waiting a brief second for it to send the new information to your rangefinder. However, that was only a problem mid hole for your approach shot since recording your score and moving onto the second screen would just update it. 

So far the battery is really strong, it has been dropped multiple times by my daughter and survived an accidental drop in the sand. I did drop it from the bag clip at one point and the navy blue color made it really hard to find as I retraced my steps. It did NOT have a cool find me feature like the Precision Pro. 

The flag vibration was seemingly non existent. I don't think I ever felt it. you do see it blink in the center to tell you it locked but the feedback was kind of dismal and forgetful. 

Overall 

Pros - Integrates with my favorite app, gives you all the information you need on one screen, accurate, easy to use, easy connection, good battery, the slope switch won't accidentally shut off or on, easy controls, decent magnet

Cons - Fit and finish is terrible especially if you pay full cost IMO, no find me feature, flag lock feedback was weak, the data focus going in and out is really weird to me, feels light (could be a pro if you're weight conscious), 

This one is definitely going to my wife as originally intended. The Precision Pro to me just feels amazing, and for now I'll deal with having to use two apps. 

thumbnail_A7FB3557-C5EC-4731-BBA5-C69DBC18C341.jpg.075026e9a2cb50d5f7b3afb9628487ad.jpgthumbnail_4740FE6F-93FE-4FEE-B5EF-26DE91A8DFB1.jpg.07248064a1d700c9187c8bc223c8d285.jpgthumbnail_15696B9B-C5FB-4923-B635-C36CB25A37A9.jpg.7924fa535884d0646b6e091d12e0b550.jpg

thumbnail_4745FE42-C955-4008-A8F2-3AC4101A74FC.jpg

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing