TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts ×

TaylorMade SIM DHY mini review

chisag

... I now have several rounds in with my 19* TaylorMade SIM DHY and written hype free, it is one of the best clubs I have ever added to my bag. Since it is the end of the season for many here and with Holidays and vacations approaching I figured I should share my experience. I will start off by saying the DHY has no weakness, and that has just not been the case for me with previous DI/Crossover type Hybrid/Iron clubs. Starting with the original Adams DHY and including the Wilson FG Tour, Cobra King Utility, Mizuno Fli Hi, Srixon U45, Exotics CB Tungsten Pro & CBX Ironwood, TaylorMade GAPR Mid and TP UDi. Most of the above were either better off the tee or better from the fairway but not equally adept at both. There was also a subjective look or feel that stopped them from finding a permanent place in my bag. The DHY has changed all of that.

... I find the DHY to be a cross between a hybrid and an iron and for me the best of both worlds. Yesterday I was faced with a tight driving hole that has water right and 3 big bunkers left and the fairway runs out at about 250 so a really good drive in the middle of the fairway can find deep rough running through the fairway when the hole gently doglegs left. With a 20mph wind at my back, driver was obviously out of the question and my Super Hybrid would also be too long with the kind of wind unless I choked up a full inch and shortened my swing. So I hit my 19* DHY 3 and because it looks and feels like an iron, I split the fairway and watched it carry and then run over the rise. Ah-Oh, maybe too far? I am not a big hitter but I am not short either and as I got to the top of the very gentle slope I saw my ball 5 yards short of the rough. That is about a 245 yd drive with an iron-hybrid and of course perfect contact along with a 20 mph wind produced a much longer than average shot but it shows what this club is capable of doing. Then on the par 5 19th with that same 20 mph wind at my back and my ball sitting on a slight upslope, I hit it pin high from 225 needing 205 to clear the bunkers and having zero doubts I could clear them. These 2 shots illustrate the kind of confidence I have in this club that takes the place of a true Driving Iron off the tee and a true Hybrid from the fairway or rough. 

... Here are the nuts and bolts that make this club so special. The SIM DHY utilizes TM's speed foam and an ultra thin forged C300 Steel face with TM's Inverted Cone technology for maximum speed, a solid feel and a larger sweet spot. A hollow body that creates a low-rear CG and produces a mid to high trajectory with medium spin that will suit a very wide range of players. Utilizing another TaylorMade staple, the Speed Slot on the sole maintains ball speed on shots struck low on the face as well as being more forgiving. I did hit one off the tee just a hair low on the face producing a slightly lower trajectory that ran more than normal and actually ended up a little longer than my normal drive on this short hole. You can see why I am so excited about sharing this club with you guys. 

... Finally, after my full bag fitting, I followed his advice and purchased mine with a R-Flex Diamana Limited Hybrid 65 gm shaft, much lighter than any DI/Hybrid shaft I have ever played but it has worked out very well. The DHY also does a great job of hiding it's bulk at address and when your eye focuses on the top line it creates the illusion of a thinner club. Obviously if you prefer to see the bulk, your eye can drift to that part of the club and feel confident. If you play a hybrid or a Driving Iron this is an absolute must Demo club in my opinion, even if you are playing one you like and especially if you are in the market for one. 

DHY.jpg.d117f1c589a22644463af76cd9be46a2.jpg226401263_DHYSole.jpg.63b5417580b0618041d2c4d501e40344.jpg
472356192_DHYAddress.jpg.622ec38c167615cede83728a04b36d64.jpg1839175219_DHYFace.jpg.21df181dbd3d6c47ee96e2770ce6febd.jpg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Good write up. From a cost standpoint it seemed a reach to pay $250 for. Went with the PXG0311X for a DI. I don't hit anything higher than a 4i from the fairway, although i have a 3H incase i can get any confidence in it. Glad it is bringing you success, its a gorgeous club IMO.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Archived