Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Working out: Strength gains without losing flexibility

I've recently started getting back into the gym, mostly cardio but a little bit of weights as well. I've really got two questions:

1. What types of workouts are you doing that helps increase your swing speed/power?

and

2. What types of workouts can you do that will increase flexibility and stability?

I'm played soccer until I was twenty, so my cardio fitness has always been good, but I'm newer to weightlifting. I want to gain strength that will lead to faster swing and more power, but I don't want to do anything that would compromise my flexibility or lead to injuries due to stiffness.

What do you do or do you have suggestions for workouts to try or avoid?

• Cobra AMP Cell Driver
  • Cobra Aerojet 3 Wood
  • Cobra LTDx 3 Hybrid
  • Cobra LTDx 5-GW Irons
  • Tour Edge 52,56, 60
  • Odyssey White Hot #4

There aren’t workouts that will necessarily help with speed. 

Getting your posterior chain more involved in your workouts can help. Deadlifts, rows, pull-ups/pulldowns, Olympic lifts.

Working out isn’t going to negatively impact your flexibility. Also while being flexible is good you need mobility which is being strong in those positions you are flexible in. Doing mobility work before and after a workout along with on rest days is what you want to do.

All workouts should include a squat movement. Back squat, front squat, hack squat, goblet squat, leg press. And then add in isolation movements split squat, lunges, leg extension.

A hinge movement. Deadlifts, rdls, stiff leg deadlifts. Accessories like leg curls, Nordic curls, single leg rdl.

a press movement. Flat barbell bench, flat db bench, incline bench, overhead press. Isolation like flies, pushups, tricep work.

and to offset the pressing back movements. Rows, pull-ups, pulldowns, shoulder work (front, side and rear delts). Bicep curls.

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

4 hours ago, jlconnolly11 said:

I've recently started getting back into the gym, mostly cardio but a little bit of weights as well. I've really got two questions:

1. What types of workouts are you doing that helps increase your swing speed/power?

and

2. What types of workouts can you do that will increase flexibility and stability?

I'm played soccer until I was twenty, so my cardio fitness has always been good, but I'm newer to weightlifting. I want to gain strength that will lead to faster swing and more power, but I don't want to do anything that would compromise my flexibility or lead to injuries due to stiffness.

What do you do or do you have suggestions for workouts to try or avoid?

Stretching and Yoga .... plus targeted weight training for the shoulders/rotator cuffs, hips, glutes and core muscles (back and abs/obliques).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing Axius core for over a year.  Pretty sure it changed my life.  Core is key in golf, and I had no core strength before, lol.

I've always been active, but I'm 49 now and being active just isn't enough anymore.  I was starting to fatigue around the 14th hole, and lose focus.  And back pain was creeping up on me due to the soft core.

And let me state this; I hate working out!  Haven't lifted a weight since first week of university like 30 years ago, lol.

Axius core is a 30 minute workout 3 times a week, and has really strengthened my core and helped with flexibility.  Between lessons and this at the end of last golf season I was mid 170's ball speed with the driver.  A year before I was having trouble getting over 160 consistently.

All sessions are set up, then recorded and reviewed by a Titleist tpi strength coach, so all my workouts are custom for me, and focused on muscles and flexibility that will help specifically my golf game.  I've had a rotator cuff injury, and she's aware of that when setting up my workouts.

Never had abs before, maybe an ab haha.  Worth every penny in my opinion.

Edited by Shifty

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

CURRENTLY TESTING T-Squared TS-912 putter