Rehabilitating lower back blog

If it's ok. I'd like to use this thread to log my rehabilitation on my lower back. I've come back to golf to do only just that. You can look at my intro post to see more about me. I'd also appreciate any suggestions.

I have this lower back injury. It was from a spin. Falling on ice. Feet just flew out from under me. I grabbed the handle on the truck to break my fall. When my body spinning reached the end. My body spun like like a whip. Stopped locked at the hips.

I've tried different things to rehabilitate. Geesh...a year now and I've made no progress in leg curls at the gym. I admit that I don't have alot of free time. I drive a truck all week all across the country. Which hurts me. I admit I had just about rehabilitated 7 years ago before going OTR truck driving.

I have found out my spine must have been pulled apart. One day I helped carry something heavy. My pain went away. It was soothing.

I have had no good with doctors. They just say we'll worry about the legs later.

I was figuring that with the turning in golf. I may effectively rehabilitate my lower back. Building back up the muscles. Right now I'm thinking I was right.

First day I went to a store to pick up a long iron to work with this. Hit some balls. Picked up four clubs. Dummy me dumped over a grand. But noticing my lower back ache is different this morning. Yesterday after hitting the balls. My lower back felt better. I'm rationalizing I haven't had the strength in my lower back that I did when I played golf for most of my life. That's what I'm needing back.

Lets see here. I'll post my progress if it's ok with you people.

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

First suggestion: lots of places online to shop for good used clubs .. can save a lot of $$ vs new!

Here is a link to another members blog on the subject. I posted in there the different things I do myself...

* Yoga has been very super helpful beneficial to me. Lots of great free resources online, and on You Tube, to get started.

Here are two great articles written by another forum member...

Jason Noble's fitness article on strengthening your core ...

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/strength-training-for-golfers-building-a-strong-and-stable-core/

Also very useful and helpful is his article on mobility ... 

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/golf-fitness-add-mobility-to-improve-your-swing/

Also you might consider seeing a physical therapist .. one who specializes in sports rehab if you can find one near you.

Good luck on your improvement!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Similar to what @cksurfdude says, I’ve had some good luck with Global Golf and 2nd Swing.  Find better deals on Global for clubs that are in great shape (seems prices are slightly better for lefty which works for me!).

Keep the posts coming!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Thank you all for input. I have been doing dynamic stretching, dumbbells, kettlebells, leg curls and extensions. Got a setup for in the truck during week. I go to the Y on weekends. 
By far the most I get is by doing the golf swing from shoulders to feet. It’s special. Can do that on the road. Anywhere. It’s making a major change in me. Something happened to my spine that only this is correcting. This morning was first time walking into the truck stop that wasn’t hobbling and pain. Only some muscle pain from being weak. This afternoon made me think I might be able to walk a golf course again someday. 
I got a long ways to go. Last couple days has my hopes up. Big time. 

i have much knowledge from almost dying from diabetes 25 years ago. The rehabilitating. Much from Scott Sonnon. I still appreciate any input. Won’t ignore it. 

Clubs? I already blew money on four clubs. They was expensive. 

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

This is working ridiculously well. I am on my way to curing my injured lower back.

I am a truck driver. First day out. Drive for 11 hours. That doesn't do my health any good. Got out of the truck. Same old same old. So I do a couple golf swings with my body. Straightened me right up. Loose as a goose, free, not a hint of pain. Walk upright with feet close together. Instead of feet apart like a hobbling old man. Only pain comes from walking long distance since my muscles aren't in shape...Yet. I even started walking fast. Haven't done that in many years. Only problem is I almost passed out. Got dizzy from lack of circulation to my brain. Had to stop in middle of lot. Then proceeded slower and wiser.

Got three days off, at home now. Gonna spend some time at the range and practice green.

• 2 weeks later...

Health is coming along. Biggest thing right now is overall strength and circulation.

I'm a major hack at hitting a ball right now. No big deal. I need to hit about a thousand balls before I can start complaining. Need to retrain my autonomic nervous system.

I followed advise here and elsewhere on this forum for clubs. I didn't have any. I have no business trying to do a fitting right now. Maybe in a year? Tried to choose wisely. In the reviews thread. A couple sets of irons that are similar. They're forgiving. One put on a sale. I pulled the trigger on a set of New Level TC's. I had the Titleist 2 iron to play with. What can I say? Once a sucker for long irons. Always a sucker for long irons. I'll play with it. I decided I really should get a driver. Bought last years model of a Titleist TSR2 with S Hzrdus shaft. Guy in store was trying to push a regular shaft on me. I tried out a few, even new. This one felt the best. I would simply do the move at the bottom of the swing at the ball. Where you roll your forearms and chop with your wrists. The regular felt like a noodle to me. The TSR2 cost me $450.

And most important! I am now cool. I have a gorilla headcover for my driver!

On putter. Gee! I had immediately found a Mizuno Putter that was my old putter, but perfected. I had to have it. Cost me $300. Doh!

To make long, short. When I took this job, 15 months ago. My little quick hard workout. I could only do it once a week. Then needed to rest all week. Now? I’m taking only one day rest. Doing workout all other days. Working good right now. 

I really need that one day off right now. Cardiovascular/heart rebuilding not fast. It’s probably my biggest lack right now. 
Im getting set up to hit balls at home in my garage. Need to build up those muscles. Can slowly hit etc. there. I’m planning on getting a launch monitor. Honestly can’t see why right now. Other than just wanting. 
Yes I do only have temp fixing to my back right now. Can’t be simulating golf swing turn everywhere I go. Can’t walk far without legs failing. Forced to sit and rest. 

On 8/7/2024 at 3:11 PM, cksurfdude said:

First suggestion: lots of places online to shop for good used clubs .. can save a lot of $$ vs new!

Here is a link to another members blog on the subject. I posted in there the different things I do myself...

* Yoga has been very super helpful beneficial to me. Lots of great free resources online, and on You Tube, to get started.

Here are two great articles written by another forum member...

Jason Noble's fitness article on strengthening your core ...

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/strength-training-for-golfers-building-a-strong-and-stable-core/

Also very useful and helpful is his article on mobility ... 

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/golf-fitness-add-mobility-to-improve-your-swing/

Also you might consider seeing a physical therapist .. one who specializes in sports rehab if you can find one near you.

Good luck on your improvement!!

I just reviewed this stuff. It's excellent, focused, just what I need. I'm thinking that Golf and related are just what I need. I remember 25 years ago. I almost died from Diabetes. It was causing weight loss. There is no treatment. Either it stops on it's own, or you die. It obviously stopped. But it left me a basket case. I had already run a couple marathons in my life. This time I chose to do this training. Ran a baby Ultra 32 miles, 18 months later. Ultra training is running, eating, and drinking all at the same time. Medical people told me I sure chose the right sport. I literally retrained my endocrine system. Now? I am thinking Golf and related are perfect for me with this injury. Just gotta keep going. .... I do wonder what this trainer would have to say about Golf itself as exercise. .

I do have to admit. Driving a truck isn't helping. At least I got a good job with time off each week. Sane time during week. I don't take no 34's in the truck no more.

On 8/6/2024 at 8:20 AM, Old New Golfer said:

If it's ok. I'd like to use this thread to log my rehabilitation on my lower back. I've come back to golf to do only just that. You can look at my intro post to see more about me. I'd also appreciate any suggestions.

I have this lower back injury. It was from a spin. Falling on ice. Feet just flew out from under me. I grabbed the handle on the truck to break my fall. When my body spinning reached the end. My body spun like like a whip. Stopped locked at the hips.

I've tried different things to rehabilitate. Geesh...a year now and I've made no progress in leg curls at the gym. I admit that I don't have alot of free time. I drive a truck all week all across the country. Which hurts me. I admit I had just about rehabilitated 7 years ago before going OTR truck driving.

I have found out my spine must have been pulled apart. One day I helped carry something heavy. My pain went away. It was soothing.

I have had no good with doctors. They just say we'll worry about the legs later.

I was figuring that with the turning in golf. I may effectively rehabilitate my lower back. Building back up the muscles. Right now I'm thinking I was right.

First day I went to a store to pick up a long iron to work with this. Hit some balls. Picked up four clubs. Dummy me dumped over a grand. But noticing my lower back ache is different this morning. Yesterday after hitting the balls. My lower back felt better. I'm rationalizing I haven't had the strength in my lower back that I did when I played golf for most of my life. That's what I'm needing back.

Lets see here. I'll post my progress if it's ok with you people.

Find ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE person near you.  I have severe scoliosis and kyphosis (forward neck, curved forward shoulders).  Alex is my life changer.  Better than yoga, pilates, Tai chi, and chiro.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

6 hours ago, Old New Golfer said:

I just reviewed this stuff. It's excellent, focused, just what I need. I'm thinking that Golf and related are just what I need. I remember 25 years ago. I almost died from Diabetes. I

Thx, glad it helped and I genuinely appreciate that you're making a big effort to improve your health!! At the end of the day it's really all you've got...

Scary about the diabetes! But nice that golf is a form of therapy for you. And .. wow .. no more 34s that is way too much.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

image.png.bb2d584d08733c27879c5fb9174d7f7c.pngI remember when I was taking my lessons Tom had me straightened up on one thing. Then I hit a ball and duck hooked it bad. He said: Follow through. I hit another lesser duck hook. He yelled; No! You're not following through. Follow through all the way. Take a practice swing. Follow through. Keep going. All the way to the top. ... When he got done with me. I felt like a weenie posing for Golf Magazine. Wanted to make a goofy smile. ... But it worked. I was amazed what following through did at the point of the ball strike. I then started hitting cruise missiles.

On 9/8/2024 at 2:05 PM, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Find ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE person near you.  I have severe scoliosis and kyphosis (forward neck, curved forward shoulders).  Alex is my life changer.  Better than yoga, pilates, Tai chi, and chiro.

I would love to try this. I'll try anything. My only problem is that medical is just plain lame here in the Hills. They only care about making money. That's all. So they can live their good life in the Hills. I couldn't even get a decent physical therapist. He said just my dynamic stretching was doing more for me than he could. There are no Alexander Technique people anywhere near here.

If I were in Sioux Falls. That's a whole different story. They're really good there.

Edited by Old New Golfer

13 minutes ago, Old New Golfer said:

I would love to try this. I'll try anything. My only problem is that medical is just plain lame here in the Hills. They only care about making money. That's all. So they can live their good life in the Hills. I couldn't even get a decent physical therapist. He said just my dynamic stretching was doing more for me than he could. There are no Alexander Technique people anywhere near here.

If I were in Sioux Falls. That's a whole different story. They're really good there.

here is one, 22640 hazel lane     If I am allowed to post their phone    AMSAT  Am Soc for the Alex tech

16 minutes ago, Old New Golfer said:

937  586  37  32

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

13 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

here is one, 22640 hazel lane     If I am allowed to post their phone    AMSAT  Am Soc for the Alex tech

In what city and state? They don't even list anyone in South Dakota.

Bear in mind Donn. I do really appreciate the thoughts. I don't have any inherent defect or anything. What I have is a body that was highly trained in muscles around the spine. Then laid off all that 'exercise' by not playing golf. Then got injured. Muscles locked up. Much pain. Even Scott Sonnon talks about injuries like this. Have to keep working on them till they release. Well...I figured out release. But now working through the side effects of not moving from the pain. I have a problem with circulation and weakness of muscles. I'm bringing it all up slowly. Right now I can't even up my metabolism alot. Problems with heart and circulation. Bringing it all up slowly. Rebuilding the circulatory system while rebuilding muscle.

Edited by Old New Golfer

11 minutes ago, Old New Golfer said:

rapid city

11 minutes ago, Old New Golfer said:

rapid city according to my screen

17 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

937  586  37  32

American Society for the Alexander Technique
22640 Hazel Ln
Rapid City
South Dakota 57702

Phone: 937-586-3732 or 800-473-0620

6 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

rapid city

rapid city according to my screen

American Society for the Alexander Technique
22640 Hazel Ln
Rapid City
South Dakota 57702

Phone: 937-586-3732 or 800-473-0620

That's up in the Hillls. Has to be somebody's house. I know the area well. May give them a call.

Interesting I couldn't find that searching Alexander Technique and their main website?

12 hours ago, Old New Golfer said:

That's up in the Hillls. Has to be somebody's house. I know the area well. May give them a call.

Interesting I couldn't find that searching Alexander Technique and their main website?

Most Alex teachers work from home.

If you contact her, tell he that I was a patient of a person who actually learned from Alexander himself, who died in 1955.  My teacher, Rome (Rosemary) Earle, was a Brit, born around 1920, and she taught in Alameda, CA.  She was still teaching in her 80s.

"The major benefit of learning the principles of Alexander work is that doing so enables us to uncover whatever it is we are doing to ourselves that is harmful and to stop doing it. This is different for each of us, but there are certain common areas of imbalance. The way we hold our heads, the way we flex our spines, the way we swing our arms and legs, all contribute to the way we are, as a whole." 

From    What did Alexander Discover - And why is it Important?

by Nicholas Brockbank