Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Why do Mizuno Pro 225 irons jump so much?

What's up guys I'm a new member on here, so forgive me if something is wrong with my first post! I just wanted to stop in and ask if anybody else games the Mizuno Pro 225's and if so, what your thoughts on them were? 

I've noticed since the beginning of this summer that these irons will randomly jump out of the fairway and send me flying over the green. For example, I typically play a stock pitching wedge around 155 and on Sunday I hit two pitching wedges 35 yards over the green (~185 yards total). These shots do not result from thin mishits and each time the ball was out of the center of a low-cut fairway. 

I finally bit the bullet and listed the irons for sale as I'm tired of missing greens after hitting what I thought was a pure shot, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a rash decision. I know this is a common problem with hollow-body irons, but I'd love to hear about anything you all have noticed and any advice on my next iron set (I'm almost sold on the Callaway X Forged CB's, but not completely). 

Driver: Ping G410

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 3H

Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway JAWS 52, 56; Cleveland RTX 58 (old trusty) 

Putter: Taylormade Spider 

Balls: Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

• 4 weeks later...

Never remotely had this problem with them, but I have a much slower swing speed. If my PW "jumped" from a fairway it would go 108 instead of 105.  That's a short PW, granted and I've wondered if my loft really isn't 45 rather than the advertised 44*.  I normally hit 44* about 112. However the other clubs have proper distance gaps and are very stable and predictable in terms of distance control. My whole game is built around distance control. I wish they would spin just a bit more for me.

PW 95-107

9 105-117

8 115-128

7 125-140

6 138-150

5 150-162

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

53 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

Never remotely had this problem with them, but I have a much slower swing speed. If my PW "jumped" from a fairway it would go 108 instead of 105.  That's a short PW, granted and I've wondered if my loft really isn't 45 rather than the advertised 44*.  I normally hit 44* about 112. However the other clubs have proper distance gaps and are very stable and predictable in terms of distance control. My whole game is built around distance control. I wish they would spin just a bit more for me.

PW 95-107

9 105-117

8 115-128

7 125-140

6 138-150

5 150-162

These are carry numbers.

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

On 8/6/2024 at 2:35 PM, alw699 said:

What's up guys I'm a new member on here, so forgive me if something is wrong with my first post! I just wanted to stop in and ask if anybody else games the Mizuno Pro 225's and if so, what your thoughts on them were? 

I've noticed since the beginning of this summer that these irons will randomly jump out of the fairway and send me flying over the green. For example, I typically play a stock pitching wedge around 155 and on Sunday I hit two pitching wedges 35 yards over the green (~185 yards total). These shots do not result from thin mishits and each time the ball was out of the center of a low-cut fairway. 

I finally bit the bullet and listed the irons for sale as I'm tired of missing greens after hitting what I thought was a pure shot, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a rash decision. I know this is a common problem with hollow-body irons, but I'd love to hear about anything you all have noticed and any advice on my next iron set (I'm almost sold on the Callaway X Forged CB's, but not completely). 

I have gamed Pro 225s since last year as my first set of players distance irons, I've played 50 rounds with them. When I started with them I was a 15.5 trending better and thought they'd be a better fit than my Rogue X's that I still had. Turns out that was correct, as I've gotten better I appreciate the club change more than ever. 

To your question, I have noticed several times, when I will catch a serious flier that is further than my normal distance. When it happens I have struck the ball on the thin side, but rather than feeling shock in my hands it feels pure. Almost like that's how far the club is always supposed to go, but because I don't hit the perfect sweet spot that much my numbers are much less. 

I checked my Arccos for specifics. I average 140 with my 9i and 128 with my PW, total distances. Two instances I have hit in the last 20 rounds were a 9i uphill that went 181. I felt I needed to hit it firm for the distance so I freely stepped on one, but was blown away. Instead of hitting it 150 max I hit it 181. Another time a similar thing happened with my PW and it went 155. The middle was 130, pin in front, I swung normal and caught a flier from the fairway that went way long. Both times I was bewildered and just had to move on without an answer.

I think it happens once every 10 rounds or even less, so I'm keeping mine for sure, I love them! If it were happening at a much higher rate I would have to consider changing as well. Yet it is concerning hitting a 5i 238 when I average 186.

Driver/3W:callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 8 Deg

3H:titleist-small:  - TSi2

4U:mizuno-small: - Mizuno Fli-Hi

5-GW:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Project X LZ 120g

56/60 :vokey-small: - SM9 KBS Tour Taper 120g

Ball:titleist-small: - ProV1x Left Dash