Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
5,588 signups
Equipment Type: Golf Balls
Vendor: TaylorMade

Testers Wanted!

TMTP5Feature.jpg

It seems to be the year of new golf balls! We are certainly not complaining, though. With a few other major brands already putting up their new golf balls for member testing, we now have the opportunity to get the new TaylorMade TP5 and TP5X in the hands of our testers to see how they really perform.

What’s changed?

TaylorMade has completely revamped both their TP5  and TP5X models with a significant investment to the tune of $100 million for golf ball-related business. This investment went into several key areas, which included buying the Nassau ball plant in South Korea and huge investments in their golf ball R&D. Over the last three years, TaylorMade has built a new state-of-the-art indoor test range and completely remade its outdoor test area with Trackman units to capture performance data for every stage of ball flight.

As for the golf balls themselves, the TP5  and TP5X now have what TaylorMade calls “Speed-Wrap.” This is a new technology that TaylorMade claims produces “significantly faster with a better feel and a softer feel.” This is done by allowing the material to control the sound without affecting speed. As sound often directly relates to feel, the new TP5 and TP5X can be firmer golf balls without feeling or sounding firm.

Finally, the initial three layers are now progressively firmer, allowing them to “truly perform like completely different products.”

The bottom line is TaylorMade feels they have really upped their standards with their new golf ball lineup and want to make significant gains in the ever-competitive golf ball market. Being a distant third in market share to Callaway and the far-and-away leader Titleist, TaylorMade hopes the new TP5 and TPX will be their launchpad to further success.

TM-TP5-LINE.jpg

Want To Be A Tester?

We need six testers to test, review, and keep the new TP5 or TP5X golf ball. Each selected tester will receive two dozen golf balls for their review.

*This test is open to all golfers worldwide.

*Registration closes March. 1

*Testers will be announced on the Forum March. 5

*Must be a registered MyGolfSpy Forum member to be selected!

TM-TP5-CUT.jpg

179 Comments

29 minutes ago, jeddi67 said:

I signed up for the Maxfli golf ball test. but didn't have a forum account.  I got inundated with emails from my golf spy about joining the forum to improve my chances.  I'm unsure how many of you get to test products here.  I just went and bought the balls to try. It seems like a better way to try out balls.  

Welcome to the forums! There's a great "how to be a tester" article which is very helpful.  The site is more than just testing new equipment though.  Many members here have valuable insights,  feedback, and written personal reviews of equipment they've tested.  Hope you can get as much as possible out of this forum as I have!

Good luck to the testers!  I've used both the TP5 and TP5x and liked them, but they were significantly shorter than the Pro V... about 5 yards on average for me off the driver.  Be very interested in how the new balls compare.

I just purchased a dozen of the TP5x and I can say I really like this ball. I am a Titleist fan boy and this ball has a lot more distance than the Prov1x. Feel is excellent. I was able to keep up my drives with my golf mates. I usually am 10-15 yards behind them. Doesn't spin as much on approach shots like the Prov1x. Very surprised at the durability of this ball as it was excellent. 

I would love to test the TP5 to see the difference. 

8 hours ago, Jean D said:

I found simulator golf this winter (and one soon to be built in the garage!)...helps while the white stuff and cold are here! 🙂 

Nice! I'm looking at trying the VR golf on Meta Quest. Saving up now for the unit. Hope to get it soon. I've read good reviews on the Golf+ program 

17 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

🙂 - Someone asked about these and if we would see them and here they are!

Excited for this one as we have had several other big name golf ball brands for testing. Including these will give some great insights and reviews into an all new golf ball from TM.

Looking forward to the results on these, not signing up as already applying for other stuff. I was a die hard prov1x fan up to a couple of years ago, but the changes (although slight) with the latest iteration felt like the prov1x was getting more towards the prov1. It will be great to see how the TPX’s perform, as I’ve been advised they the nearest feel to prov1’s. Good luck to all testers.

These look great & I'd love to give'em a try. Right now I'm playing the Seed 01 balls mostly due to the subscription price for a really good 3 piece ball. I've played plenty of other 3 piece balls, but have really only tried the TP5s that I've found while looking for my own errant shots. I have enjoyed the ones I've hit, but I have a hard time justifying the cost with all the other alternatives. I'd love to get the chance to play a few rounds with them to see if there's really something to the 5-piece construction.

Played these before in yellow and the covers scuffed very easily. Tough to go through a sleeve per round. Hoping the new product is upgraded in that area. Heard that they are softer feeling which would be a bonus for myself. Love the pix and use the alignment for putting and get instant feedback on how I am rolling it off the putter. 

This ball has my attention. The "No Putts Given" episode was interesting because it seemed like they are genuinely trying to make either model fit what a player is looking for based on feel.  I am a big believer in find your ball (whatever it is) and play it all year. Predictability trumps most things for we mere mortals. I am currently trying to find my ball for this year and am currently testing ChromeSoft Tour, PXG, PRO-V1X, PRO-V1X-, Z Star Diamond, against last year's ball ( Z-Star XV) via a combination of my Skytrak SC 200.   I am looking for the unicorn ball that gives me a little more spin off the driver and higher launch and spin off my irons. That in itself isn't too difficult, but finding one that isn't too spinney off the tee and feels right off near the green has been tough. Maybe the new TP5X is the trick. I look forward to seeing the reviews and testing results.

Would love to test these  - currently have been playing a Vice Pro Soft for awhile. Be very interested to see how it plays with my new QI driver (currently using the Sim2Max D and 3W and JetSpeed hybrid). Good luck to all the testers!

I’ve been using the Taylormade Pix balls for about 9 months now and really feel they help my putting massively. Due to the MyGolfSpy ball reviews I’ve actually been looking round for a template so that I can draw my own Pix pattern onto a better performing ball but haven’t found anything that really works.

It’s great to read about the improvements that TM are making to their balls, but it would be even better to actually try them, even if I am a tad worried that the updated pattern won’t be as helpful when it comes to putting

When I came back to playing golf after 14 years off I started playing the TP5X, after last year I switched back to the ProV1X I found more consistent distance on my wedges and mid irons. I hope the hype for Taylormade is real because it’s easier to go back to the TP5 seeming our pro shop is Taylormade only. 

This Test is now closed to further comments.