Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
4,012 signups
Equipment Type: irons
Vendor: PXG

Testers Wanted

TWFeature.jpg

MyGolfSpy Forum is thrilled to announce a new release testing opportunity from PXG. This is the first time PXG has ever participated in member testing, and there couldn't be a better product than their newly announced Gen 7 irons and Black Ops irons.

About PXG

It’s no surprise that PXG is a polarizing brand. Since their inception in 2013, they have been bold and, for some, brash. The evolution of PXG has been fascinating to follow as they transitioned from a boutique, high-priced, exclusive brand to a company offering a range of options with price points that will suit most, if not all, golfers.

PXG places significant focus on fitting, ensuring customers have the proper products to get the best performance from their game. This is evident with their various in-store fitting options (at PXG-specific or partner stores) and the option of over-the-phone fittings.

PXG also offers their PXG for Heroes program, which provides first looks, discounts, and more for active duty, veterans, first responders, and law enforcement personnel. It is a “Thank You” to all those who have served and is a core pillar of the brand.

0311P.jpg

The PXG Perception

As mentioned earlier, PXG is a polarizing brand. This was evident in the 2022 Brand Perception Survey done by MyGolfSpy, where results were varied. PXG ranked high with related words such as Modern, Premium, Engineering, and Innovation, while also ranking high with less positive keywords such as Hype, Follower, and Gimmick.

When brands are louder, there will be more people on each side of the fence, compared to those straddling it, which is why these results are not surprising.

This brings us to a key point: does it matter? If a product performs or outperforms what is in your bag, will it, or can it, change your perception? Could it make some of those negative associations fade away?

BlackOps.jpg

The Testing Opportunity

We are looking for six golfers to test, review, and keep a set of PXG Gen 7 irons or PXG Black Ops irons. We will be selecting three for each, and while we have no specifications or further details to share with you (those will be released soon), we are thrilled to provide this early opportunity to our members.

What is your brand bias towards PXG? Do you think it will make you the perfect tester?

Let us know!

0311XP.jpg

*This testing opportunity is open to registered forum members in North America.
*Registration closes August 4.
*Testers will be announced August 6.

393 Comments

Wow, wow, wow!!! What a great opportunity for our community to try out the new PXG iron generations! What is interesting, is how the Black Op irons are considered their "first game improvement" iteration and how they differ from the now 0211 line, which is not much of a game improvement set but would share the same bang for the buck. Also neat to see the Gen 7 line is borrowing from the 0317 sets with their single weight aesthetic and not so flashy. Would love to still take advantage of the veteran early access to cop a feel of these bad boys and see how they compare to my current 0211 set. Thankfully I held off from upgrading to the Gen 6 offerings, but will the 7 be a greater update as their presser has outlined? Good luck to all!

I started out with a mixed bag of clubs from every decade and every brand. I learned using all of them. I think this gives me a unique perspective and keeps me more open to clubs when I try them…I know what the feel I like is- but I know that’s familiarity- but I can play with most clubs. 
I like the black ops look-the width of the blade isn’t overwhelming- has a more classic design in overall size with modern components- I would love to try this PXG blacks ops iron! 

Interesting that they are choosing this route, but I think this helps strengthen their brand considerably.

What an opportunity for six lucky MGS members! 

As for my own candidacy, I have my own Full Swing launch monitor, so can give some empirical data, as well as being a previous PXG customer, with their 0311 driver in the garage.

Super tuneable with the optional weight kit, very nice piece of kit. Would looooooove to try the Black Ops, they look absolutely brilliant in the pics 

good luck to all !

What an unreal opportunity!!!!

So glad to see that PXG respects MGS enough to allow forum testing of its new irons. This is a nod to all the testers hard work for years. So very much looking forward to reading about this test!

This is a huge boon for MGS testers.  Gen 7's are on the way!  IMHO I love the looks of their irons, the tech is innovative,  and if you look around the internet, reviews show that performance is among the best.  I was fitted for Gen 6 irons last winter but didn't pull the trigger at the time because of health issues.  Healthy again, I'm pleased that I waited because Gen 7 is coming soon.  Good luck to all.      

Congrats MGS for providing another fantastic testing opportunity for the average golfer.  It's our chance to be an influencer! 😀

I will say I thought they were nuts when they first came out with that price point. Now since dropping the price and coming down to reality, living in Phoenix, I see them all the time in people’s bags. I’m in the market for new irons and being 30 minutes from 2 fitting locations, they’re a serious consideration. The fact they don’t go mainstream and have clubs in Golf Galaxy, PGA Tour Superstore, etc…. is intriguing. They’d probably be right up there with the big boys if they did.

I've been playing my Nike NDS since High School. I'm 31 now and am still playing them. Would love to have the opportunities to test these for sure. lol

PXG is revolutionary. Although many people don’t believe pxg can compete with other brands, I felt like I performed great with them when I tried them out at Roger Dunn. Although I cannot afford the price point right now, I would purchase some in the future. 

While I would love to be chosen for this, I'm looking forward to hearing the results from everyone that gets picked!

5 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

Well this one is going to be interesting. While I’m a huge advocate for club fittings, I’ve shied away from PXG because their clubs can’t be tested “side by side” with other clubs. And going to PXG for a fitting will only provide a PXG solution. Sort of like to a hammer everything looks like a nail.

In my fitting I took my i525 7 iron in and was encouraged to hit both clubs in rotation.  Granted that's not like having an entire store full of various brands and models, but it was an impressive amount of time, effort, and data collected and I've used the numbers to compare with other brands since.  Plus, they took the time to really dial in the clubs which hasn't always been the case for fittings I've had at box stores.  Incidentally the PXG's have come out on top for me compared to Titleist, Mizuno, and Ping.

I love that PXG has offered this testing opportunity. I played PXG’s for years. Especially because of the Hero’s Program and awesome fitting they offered. However, recently went back to Titleist irons. I love the T200/150 combo set that is in my bag. I am almost scared to find out that there is something better…..However, I do like PXG and have respect for Mr. Bob Parsons having served as a Marine and his support for military, law enforcement and other first responders. 

Kaboom baby! What an opportunity. Would love to play a set of Gen 7 P irons. Seems like they have great shaft options as well. Super interested in the feedback. Thanks to Mr. Parsons and MGS!!!

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

My interest in PXG is that they are constantly evolving their product. 

Agreed!  I've been eyeing PXG's for years and been fitted for Gen 4, 5, and 6 but as several others have stated shied away from them because of price.  Recent years their prices have come into line with other premium brands, or maybe the other brands have increased prices to compete with PXG's perception of "premium price for premium clubs".  However, each iteration has had significant changes and improvements in feel and performance as well as tech.  

4 hours ago, daver920 said:

As far as I know PXG's big crime is annoying people who leave their TV volume too loud, so bring 'em on!

KaBOOM baby! 😀

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Black Ops is a brand new line that should blow ppl away as it's an entirely new line for them...

Black Ops woods and hybrids, new to the iron lines, right?

Wow, this is an awesome opportunity! Currently have PXG 5w and 4hy in the bag. When I purchased and used their online fitting option and the folks were extremely helpful, respectful and knowledgeable! Good luck to all who apply! This will be a fun one!

Love PXG.  I owned the 0211 Xcor2 from the day they came out to just recently.  The gear junkie in me wanted to wait until their replacement came out, but with callaway's 200% trade in I swapped my 0211 for the AI Smokes. Would love to do a head to head comparison with the new Black Ops and AI Smoke irons.  

I was gifted a sleeve of PXG balls. Busted them out this weekend and they performed pretty well. Did scuff pretty easy.

Excited to see the club reviews.

I currently game the PXG 0211z irons. They are fantastic and easy to hit as a new golfer, but I would love the opportunity to try the buttery forged Gen7’s. I also game the 0211 driver and 3W. 

While PXG got some well deserved flack for their in your face marketing and high prices, they have done a lot in recent years to offer high quality golf equipment at reasonable prices. And their fitting experience is second to none. 

thanks for the opportunity MGS!

I always viewed PXG offerings as high-end for the better player. My perception is that my 12 hdcp not worth the spend for these clubs.

Testing them out would be nice and seeing if my perception was off base.

This is awesome! I would love to test these out as an upgrade comparison to my current 0211 dualcor irons. When I'm actually dialed in on the course, I completely trust what my irons do. Any deviation is obviously my own fault, but I haven't wanted to change my clubs at all. I've only switched the grips to midsize, which seems to have helped. Whoever gets to test these, you have my jealousy and my interest in the review.

Heck of an opportunity for those fortunate enough to be selected! Always wanted to try PXG, seen and heard good things but felt that getting a proper fitting was the way to go with these.  Finally getting to the point in learning the game that I’m considering getting fit for new clubs or investing in getting my clubs fit to me. Good luck to all!

This Test is now closed to further comments.