Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

My experience with Optishot - Practice tool or just game?

I just joined this site and saw a couple of posts on Optishot.

Two years ago, I started taking lessons after struggling with my game.

My instructor was the golf pro at the city course and was starting his own business. 

His first setup included an Optishot simulator. He didn't use it for instruction but had it available for people to use for practice (in Minnesota, any golf in the winter is good golf).

At the end of the first year, he decided he was be upgrading his setup to provide better instruction. He purchase the Foresight simulator. I purchased the Optishot  and stance mats from him.

I happen to have a heated garage and have space for the simulator and net. I don't have ceiling that really allow you to swing a driver or have a projector.

The setup I have is the Optishot connected to a laptop that runs the software. The Optishot is on a stance mat and platform. I purchase an enhanced cover for the Optishot to allow for the ability to hit down through the ball. I have a net but since I have cars in the garage, I only hit foam balls.

One of the key factors in the success of using the Optishot is the lighting. I installed a "shop light" right above the device. This ensures that the sensors have enough light for the club head.

I use Mizuno irons and with this lighting, I have few issues with the unit recognizing my swing.

For those that don't know, the Optishot has two rows of infrared sensors. They read the club head passing through the zone. This gives you club head speed and the angle of the club face (closed or open), and swing path. From this data, they calculate the flight of the ball based on the "club set" you have setup.

The club set does allow you to tailor the specs for each club (degree, length, speed factor, distance factor).

What I have done is adjust my "clubs" to give me the expected distance and club head speed. This was trial and error, but once it is set, it is fine. I needed to increase the distance by 10% and the speed by 5%. 

The Optishot is not measuring the ball (launch, spin, etc) so don't expect Trackman data.

Many comments have been made about the value Optishot for practicing. 

My experience is that if you accept the limitations, it works fine for practicing. My golf pro now has a Foresight simulator with the head measurement device.

The results (distance and ball movement) are within accept ranges to make it valuable in working on changes. You just need to put time into the setup and configuring the club set.

Given the low ceilings, I don't hit driver. The Optishot is poor at recording driver swings especially if you have a dark-bottom driver. 

I normally play all the courses as "Par 3" and don't putt. Putting is of no value on any of the simulators I have ever used. The Optishot has a "Par 3" option on every course. Lots of good iron practice.

I have purchased a few of the premium courses and they are remarkably accurate. I played the Ocean Course last year and purchased the Optishot version and it really is like playing the layout.

It may not be the best simulator on the market...I have less then $1,000 invested. If it broke tomorrow, I would purchase another one.

Sorry for the long post, but thought others might be interested especially in the "North".

If you have questions, please ask and I will try to answer.

Clark

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

I've found a lot of these devices or even low end simulators like you mind find at a bar will actually hurt your game. The problem is you might see a perfect draw when you hit the ball, but if you took the same swing to the range, you'd get something entirely different.

That doesn't agree with my experience...

My readings on the Optishot and the Foresight simulator are just about the same. Foresight has a lot better readings and data, especially with the head measurement add-on.

Was lucky enough to play three rounds this winter while on vacation and what I was doing on the course agreed with what I was seeing on the simulators.

But again...I had taken the time to setup the unit.

I also have a pretty consistent swing with my irons so some users may get different results.

Clark

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

Consistency is the key here and I'm mainly talking about OptiShot. If you have a good swing then you might be fine. My point is this device and other low end devices must assume a lot. This means they can easily mask a problem when the assumptions are wrong. However if the assumptions match your actual swing, then you very well could see results that look accurate.

From everything I've heard of foresight, it's a great product with very good measurements. I'd have no qualms practicing using that.

Consistency is the key here and I'm mainly talking about OptiShot. If you have a good swing then you might be fine. My point is this device and other low end devices must assume a lot. This means they can easily mask a problem when the assumptions are wrong. However if the assumptions match your actual swing, then you very well could see results that look accurate.

From everything I've heard of foresight, it's a great product with very good measurements. I'd have no qualms practicing using that.

The Foresight is excellent...Wish I had the money and space for that setup:).

I think the thing about my use of Optishot is that I don't use it for drivers.

Totally agree that you don't get enough readings, but if you are working on a swing flaw like an "outside to in" swing path change, it can be useful.

I wouldn't make it my only tool for practice and I really believe having a good pro is critical to improving, no matter how you plan to do it.

I will say that hitting balls on a virtual driving range or even a simulated course, does make me want to practice in the winter.

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

Archived