Sign in to follow this  
mruuska

broke two clubs on back to back holes.....

This is really strange. Was the set brand new when you purchased? It looks like they have collared ferrules and both shafts broke off right at the bottom of the collars. Makes me think there wasn't enough epoxy in the gap between the shaft and the hosel. I would press Cobra for a free repair on this one if they were indeed an OEM build.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I took my clubs to my local cobra authorized dealer and the guy I spoke to said that the 1/16 inch gap between collared ferrules and club head is a manufacturing defect and likely weakened the shaft leading to the broken clubs. Cobra is saying the collared ferrules are only aesthetic in their purpose. What do you think?

I took my clubs to my local cobra authorized dealer and the guy I spoke to said that the 1/16 inch gap between collared ferrules and club head is a manufacturing defect and likely weakened the shaft leading to the broken clubs. Cobra is saying the collared ferrules are only aesthetic in their purpose. What do you think?

I can't believe Cobra had the nerve to tell you collared ferrules have no utility. Most ferrules are designed for aesthetic appeal but that is not at all the case with collared ferrules. The collar is meant to keep the shafts centered in the hosel and there should have been enough epoxy applied to fill every bit of the negative space between the shaft and the hosel. If it were me, I would not let Cobra off the hook on this one.

Am I correct to assume the 1/16" gap was located between the bottom of the ferrule and the top of the hosel?

From Cobra; "the ferrules of the club do not affect the performance or integrity of the shaft in any way, they are purely for improved looks."

Yes, you are correct that the gap is located between the bottom of ferrule and top of hosel. Any suggestions to aide battle with Cobra is appreciated.

Having your irons submerged under water will do it as well. Found that out the hard way.......

Hmm.. I Rinse my clubs one at a time under running water. Mind you it's just the head that gets put under the running water. Knock on wood, hopefully nothing is wrong with the shafts.

MDGolfHacker

Hmm.. I Rinse my clubs one at a time under running water. Mind you it's just the head that gets put under the running water. Knock on wood, hopefully nothing is wrong with the shafts.

MDGolfHacker

Oh he's referring to when his house flooded and I told him I'd clean the heads up and everything. Then when they got here, the shafts were all rusted solid and several were bent in places and a few blown out. I think I've still got one or two of the shafts I pulled laying around somewhere. Use them to put clubheads on when I'm shooting polymer finishes

• Like 1

Oh he's referring to when his house flooded and I told him I'd clean the heads up and everything. Then when they got here, the shafts were all rusted solid and several were bent in places and a few blown out. I think I've still got one or two of the shafts I pulled laying around somewhere. Use them to put clubheads on when I'm shooting polymer finishes

Ah... :)

MDGolfHacker

The Adams Idea MB2s right? I inquired about purchasing them awhile back and he told me how special they were (thanks to you) and that he would never ever part with them.

BTW, OP PMed me and I walked him through what I believed was an OEM build defect; Cobra eventually turned tail and agreed to repair at no charge.

• Like 4

BTW, OP PMed me and I walked him through what I believed was an OEM build defect; Cobra eventually turned tail and agreed to repair at no charge.

That's good to hear. Love when a company's customer service is an A+

• Like 1

Special thanks to downlowkey who helped me convince Cobra about the defect in my clubs.  They agreed when I used his rationale and are fixing the clubs free of charge.  They are in route to Cobra right now!  I appreciate the camaraderie of the MyGolfSpy forum.

• Like 7

The hosel sharp edge caused the break - the sharp edge needs to be rounded - there are ferrules with a slight extension into the hosel to allow the shaft to have room to flex.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

#TheWorst. I broke two clubs same fashion however mine were back to back rounds. First was the Callaway Apex UT 2i, then the most disappointing was my Titleist 915 D3 driver in the middle of a tournament! Good thing the pro was cool and let me borrow a shaft from the fitting cart for rest of round was on fire and shot a 68 so was grateful for the loaner. However, your reasons could be similar to mine. The 2i was no a flex weaker than it should have been and the torque through Impact over time just broke the shaft down which eventually led to the break. Was a KBS Tour S. All other Sticks are TT X100s. The driver shaft I'm thinking same thing but was an Aldila Rip Alpha 65g X flex so contacted Titleist and they are going to replace shaft free of charge through local club pro. I feel your pain worst thing to happen in middle of round! Nonetheless back to back holes

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy