Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Jim Suttie: The belly putter, the new fad on tour

Moecat

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/oct/11/jim-suttie-belly-putter-new-fad-tour/

What do Keegan Bradley, the recent PGA champion, Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, Webb Simpson, and several others on the PGA Tour have in common? Yes, that is right, they are belly putters.

And, it is estimated about 20 percent of the guys on the Champions Tour are belly putters or have gotten into the long putter.

Although the long putter is not the belly, it is based on the same principle. I am sure if you asked Adam Scott, he would have to give you a thumbs up on trying the long putter if your putting is suffering.

I remember Els once said that the belly putter is cheating. Is he right? After all, don't the rules of golf say that you can't have two points that touch the body when swinging a golf club? But the USGA has probably waited too long on this one. And putting is different, right? But since it is legal, and you are having trouble with your putting, why not give it a try? Here are some advantage of using the belly putter:

â–  You have one anchor point, and not two. Just put the grip end of the putter on your belly, and keep it there as you go back and through.

â–  The stroke is forced to be a natural arc as the putter will stay square to the arc throughout the stroke.

â–  If you have a quick, jerky stroke, it will automatically smooth out your rhythm and tempo. This makes your acceleration even throughout the stroke.

â–  The belly technique allows you to release the putter without trying to. This, in effect, means that your clubface naturally opens and closes throughout the motion.

â–  The belly allows you to stand a little taller, which gives you a better visual perspective of your line.

â–  The belly putter tends to be heavier, so you are more likely to take the putter back and through the same distance, and take all of the "hit" out of your stroke.

Some say the belly is too awkward to use, but it is by far more mechanically sound than the conventional putter. And, if you are getting into the yipping problems with those short ones, I would seriously consider using the belly putter. I think if I were teaching a young junior player as he was growing up, I would get him into a belly putter with a left-hand low grip.

As far as the recent surge of use of the belly putter on the PGA Tour, I think it will continue to grow as the weighting system and shafts of the putters get better and better.

I suppose the style and technique one uses is ultimately one of what feels good to the player, and what he can aim correctly and control the distance. It is so important to understand that, whatever the method, the player must have the confidence to get up to the putt and convince himself that he can make that 8-foot putt for par that is in front of him.

Your decision to use the belly should not be based on what Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson are doing, but what works for you.

The thing that I like the most about the belly technique is how it frees the golfer up, and allows him to get rid of that excess hand and arm tension, and just allow the natural pendulum release to happen. If you are a steerer, a pusher, a shover, or a hitter, consider the belly technique. The technique itself will allow you to have even acceleration, and simply allow the ball to get in the way of your stroke.

Give it a try and kiss the yips goodbye.

Dr. Jim Suttie, 2000 National PGA Teacher of the Year, is available for lessons at Suttie Golf at The Club at Twin Eagles North Naples and Cog Hill Golf Club, Lemont, Ill. Suttie is a Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher and rated No. 15 in Golf Digest Best 50 Teachers. Suttie also is the director of golf operations for the FGCU golf program. For lessons and program information call 800-765-3838 or [email protected]

I will say I have no problem with the long putters because the rules do not prohibit them. I did putt with a Ping B90 broomhandle for a couple of years. I have recently experimented with a Bobby Grace belly I built myself. I went back to a conventional (34 inch) Ping Anser 2 a couple of months ago. i feel more confortable with the conventional putter though. The thing that irks me is that those has been players on the Golf Channel are trying to get the USGA to ban them. They have been constantly raising a stink since Keegan Bradley won with one. I guess the Golf Channel thinks they are the ruling body for golf policy. They PROUDLY reported the other day that The Geico Tour (a South African based mini tour) has outlawed the belly putter but not the ski pole/broomhandle ones. with the Golf Channel's constant diarreah of the mouth I look for both to be banned in the future.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived