Cally shafts in Ping heads

Just wondering if there is a difference between OEM shafts in Cally and Ping shafts?  I demoed a Cally ROUGE ST 40gm shaft and a Ping G425 Max 40 gram shaft., I liked the Cally shaft.  Anyone ever switch shafts meant for a particular brand to another brand?  

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

3 hours ago, 70445 said:

Just wondering if there is a difference between OEM shafts in Cally and Ping shafts?  I demoed a Cally ROUGE ST 40gm shaft and a Ping G425 Max 40 gram shaft., I liked the Cally shaft.  Anyone ever switch shafts meant for a particular brand to another brand?  

Short answer: Yes, there is a wide variety of differences between shafts. Putting X shaft with Y head then switching it to Z head could lead to a drastically different feel as well. 

As for made for specific shafts, most OEM's have shaft options from a variety of shaft companies. Ping is one of the few (only?) that make their own branded shafts. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

28 minutes ago, 70445 said:

So a shaft from Ping would or could perform different in a Cally head?  Thank You for your info and answering my question.

Ping shaft would almost definitely perform differently. Often their stock shafts are countenanced to offset the heavier head weight of their heads. Where Callaway don't have quite as many options in counter balanced as their head weights generally are lighter then ping.

It's a real who could say until it is tried. The adapters are different, not sure about the diameter, but a shop could tell you that. 

Could be better could be worse, all depends on you the golfer and your needs. If it was me i would go see a fitter and talk to them and ask them what you are trying to achieve and they should be able to at the very least point you in the right direction.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

11 hours ago, 70445 said:

2 hours ago, 70445 said:

So a shaft from Ping would or could perform different in a Cally head?  Thank You for your info and answering my question.

Diving a little deeper than the other answers that were provided.

There is a difference in most all shafts and their is a difference in heads as well.   As mentioned, Ping has a tendency to use counterbalanced shafts because their heads are a little be heavier than other brands.  Shafts themselves have different construction to influence how they perform; this isn't just OEM shafts but all shafts.    You can switch shafts between models;  just have to change the adapter so it fits the head.   People switch shafts between clubs all the time so and performance may or may not change;  you have to actually try the shaft/head combo and see how it works.  Shafts in off the rack drivers are generally selected because the OEM believes that will generally work for the widest range of golfers.

The one thing you didn't say is why you liked the shaft better;  was it just a personal thing or did the driver combo actually perform better?  Was it visual evaluation or did you use a launch monitor?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Correct, I demoed a Ping g425 and a Callaway rouge st, same weight shaft in both heads, but to me I got better numbers With the Cally, can’t be that much difference between the heads.  By the way I’m 76, slower swing than it once was, looking for the right driver.  I’ve always preferred Ping over Cally.  I’m located wher there are not that many optometrist demo different club models/ manufacturers.

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

1 hour ago, 70445 said:

Correct, I demoed a Ping g425 and a Callaway rouge st, same weight shaft in both heads, but to me I got better numbers With the Cally, can’t be that much difference between the heads.  By the way I’m 76, slower swing than it once was, looking for the right driver.  I’ve always preferred Ping over Cally.  I’m located wher there are not that many optometrist demo different club models/ manufacturers.

Same identified weight class for each shaft; one could be 49 grams and the other 40 or sub 40;  you would have actually weigh the shaft. The Callaway is an actual weight 47gr shaft based on looking at aftermarket purchase.  The shafts could also be significantly different in flex/profile.   There can also be significant difference in the heads...tbey can be different weights,  different in how that weight is dispersed through the head, difference in how you respond to the head. etc.   

You can definitely switch shafts but you would probably be better off using the configuration that you actually hit.   

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, 70445 said:

Ping heads are typically heavier than Callaway and other brands. The design and weight of the heads can influence feel of the club which can influence how one swings which influences the performance 

What shaft did you hit?

Many of the OEMs all carry the same shafts so there would be no difference in the shafts, but rather how good or bad they perform in the selected head as mentioned above.

There are some shafts that are made specifically for the oem like Callaway has a ventus blue without velocore, TaylorMade has a ventus red without velocore. Callaway has had im10 and t800 shafts from project x and a made for helium black from UST Mamiya. Ping has their own shafts in the Ping tour and Alta likes for woods.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What shaft did you hit?

BAsed on the OEM sites the Callaway had:  PROJECT X CYPHER BLACK 40 GRAPHITE and the Ping had" PING Alta Distanza 

If its the cypher then only option of getting with a Ping tip that doesn’t involve buying a Callaway driver with it and retipping it is to find a retailer that sells the shaft and have them install a Ping adapter.

As mentioned above there’s no guarantee it will work with the Ping but that can be said for many shafts not offered as stock or upcharge by Ping.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, 70445 said:

I don't play any OEM shafts in any of my clubs. All OEM shafts that are not a "true" aftermarket shaft,  You also need to know that even if you had two Ping shafts of the exact same make and model and flex, there would be a difference between the two. NO two shafts are EXACTL the same no matter who made them or how well they were made. If you had 10 shafts and weighted each of them you would fine a difference between each of them. Could be 2 to 3 grams difference from one to the next. So you can not be sure of what you will get when you buy a shaft, especially with a low end OEM shaft. And I have not even mentioned spine and FLO alignment of the shafts as that is a whole other subject that can make a huge difference is how a shaft will perform in the head. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing.