Cancun Golf

My wife and I are taking a 5 day trip to Cancun, and I've been charged with scheduling golf for us. 

We are staying at the Le Blanc Resort but we're willing to travel within an hour and a half from there to play golf. Has anyone played in the area before, and if so, what courses would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Carter the Silver Fox

PSX_20231214_192649.jpg.aebe9fac8a381499f3eba7dcb387a3bf.jpg Ping g400 - Driver, 3w, 7w, 4h

PSX_20231214_192616.png.8617e3838f8e076e5f8589adeda429f0.png Mizuno CLK 5H/MP-18 irons

PSX_20231214_192537.png.23ec9b7c1971db968afd3a07d3b37884.png Edel wedges and putter

Sorry no recommendations... Just a lot of jealousy.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Sorry no recommendations... Just a lot of jealousy.

Same! I would suggest emailing or visiting the resort website and see of they have any package deals for courses nearby. They may even have a good affiliation with some.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I played the Hard Rock Cafe Course in Playa Del Carmen. It is a fun layout and the greens fee came with a lunch sandwich to boot! There are cenotes in the area for you to explore afterwards. A nice relaxing soak in one after the round would be a nice ending to the day before a quick nap then out on the town for dinner.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

On 1/31/2024 at 10:28 PM, Silver Fawkes said:

My wife and I are taking a 5 day trip to Cancun, and I've been charged with scheduling golf for us. 

We are staying at the Le Blanc Resort but we're willing to travel within an hour and a half from there to play golf. Has anyone played in the area before, and if so, what courses would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I’m down here right now, PGA Riviera Maya is probably one for the list, it’s down between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum, about an hour from Cancun down the 307

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

There's a fair number of golf courses down that way, and we just got back from playing three, though all three are about an hour away from your hotel in Playa Del Carmen and there are closer options for you. As mentioned upthread, definitely reach out to your hotel and see if they partner with anyone. My usual hotel does, and the greens fees are about 100 less than the public fees when booked through the hotel, and include transportation.

In order of my favorite, to least favorite:

• El Camaleon Mayakoba. Unfortunately, it is *very* expensive for the area at ~$350 USD, not including caddies or rentals. But it's the best course in the area. Used to be a PGA Tour stop, now it's the LIV Opener. Amazing groundskeeping, appropriately challenging tees for all skill levels, and staff that will do whatever is within their power to make your experience worth it. They were also very strict about dress code, which you may not want to deal with on vacation. Pace of play was essentially as fast as we wanted it to be, as the caddys do a good job of coordinating faster groups playing through.
  • Gran Coyote. Published rate is $280, but some hotels have deals for cheaper. Solid course, though pace of play was a bit slow on a late Saturday morning. GPS Carts with the pins marked, cooler with a water per person included. Cooling towel at the end of the round is a nice touch.
  • Hard Rock. Prices vary and you can sometimes find a hot deal on Golf Now for ~$115. The course itself is fun, and the greens fees are "all inclusive" -- that means you don't pay for any refreshments. Beer was Corona, tequila was Centenario on the carts. 19th hole was included -- lunch and breakfast if your tee time is early enough. Because of the AI though, if you're not one of the first ones out, expect a LONG round. Posted pace of play is 4:36, but  does exceed that if you start at 10ish. If you have the second tee time as we did, and it's still dark, they expect you to tee off in the dark as the group in front of you is using their phone flashlights to find balls in the fairway. I wish I was kidding. I'd say aim for an 8am or so and hope for the best, or be prepared for a long day and treat it as such.

Driver: :callaway-small: AI Smoke MaxD w/ Mitsubishi Diamana GT 40R

3w: Callaway Edge

5w: Stealth2 HD

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal HL w/Accra IS 50i

Wedges: :ping-small: s59 w/Accra is 60i

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3

Having seen Mayakoba week and half ago, if you can swing the price go for it. It’s gorgeous 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x