Iron Refinishing Options, thoughts and advice!

Hey all,

Figured I would ask the forum for some advice as i'm betting there are plenty of people on here who have either done it themselves or have paid to have it done. I am currently gaming a split set of Nike VR TW irons. 3-6 in the split cavity, and 7-P in the Muscle Back, so 8 clubs total. I am in love with them, but, they were second hand when i purchased them, and obviously they have gotten more wear and tear over the last 3 years since I've been gaming them.

I reached out to a company (wont name them) via instagram, about refinishing the set. I don't want new shafts or grips on the clubs, so it would be just club head restoration, new ferrules, new paint fill, and I was considering copper plating them.

Total cost and breakdown including return shipping is: $935

Remove Club heads/Ferrules/Paint

Clean and prep shafts

Strip Club heads to Raw. Plate Copper

Install Paint Fill/New Ferrules/Club heads

I guess my questions are three fold.

1) Good deal?

2) Is refinishing/restoring worth the money

3) Any other vendors I should be considering

IMG_8580.JPG

Driver: TSR3 w/Red Ventus Velo 7x

3w: TSi3 w/Red Ventus Velo 7x

hybrid: TS 3 w/Tensei CK Blue

irons: Nike VR combo. 3-6 split cavity, 7-Pw blade X100

wedges: sm9 52, RTX zipcore 58

putter: SC Select Flowback 5

I've been playing golf for over 40 years now and I've NEVER felt the need to have any iron set, wedge or wood refurbished. Putter - yes, but nothing else.

The bottom line is that I've never got that emotionally attached to a piece of equipment that could quite simply be replaced with a newer (new or second hand) set/club that were either in better condition than the previous set or perfomed better - even sometimes at a much lower price.

Wanting to refurbish, renovate or customise any set of clubs revolves mainly around the question - 'is it finacially worth it?" or quite bluntly, 'is this a vanity project?'. For me, wanting to copper plate a a near 15 year old set of irons which can be picked up in near mint used condition on ebay for less than 300 bucks sounds like a vanity project. Which is fine if that's what you want to do and the cost is justifiable to your intent, but I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking questions 1 & 2 either if you thought it was totally justifiable. So in response to each question:

1 No

2 No

3 Ebay

On 4/24/2024 at 12:09 PM, jordan1016 said:

Total cost and breakdown including return shipping is: $935

I guess my questions are three fold.

1) Good deal?

2) Is refinishing/restoring worth the money

3) Any other vendors I should be considering

1)  a little over $100 a clubs seems like a good deal for refinishing.  

2)  I would never refinish a set of clubs.  Never get that attached and I can get a new set of used clubs for significantly less than $935.  

3) Google is your friend for finding other companies and reviews of those companies. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Appreciate the input and the thoughts. I think the points about attachment are super valid. It’s more the devil I know i.e. I love the irons, the way they feel and play, versus the devil I don’t, so going to get fit, dropping the same ish amount of $, honestly worries me due to a potentially costly error.

i have googled a few others, but I was leaning into the forums experience of it, moreso than anything else.

Driver: TSR3 w/Red Ventus Velo 7x

3w: TSi3 w/Red Ventus Velo 7x

hybrid: TS 3 w/Tensei CK Blue

irons: Nike VR combo. 3-6 split cavity, 7-Pw blade X100

wedges: sm9 52, RTX zipcore 58

putter: SC Select Flowback 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Im not sure of the specific mass of copper as compared to chrome but,,, you may want to ask them if the head weights will be near the same as they are currently, 

If the company removed dings , dents etc there is certainly going to be a change in weight. Then applying only copper to the exterior may be tricky.  Copper is soft, you also may find that the appearance will look worse that it does currently.

Edited by McGolf

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.