Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Aerotech Golf Shafts

mrlongball

Well, seeing as there is nothing on here yet about these shafts, I figure I should start one up!

I currently work in a pro shop for a big box golf store and do the majority of their fittings. Drivers, irons, wedges etc...I do them all. I have a lot of experience with these shafts and have done at least 100 fittings.

Ive played/hit/tested pretty much all of these shafts and have been able to turn a lot of people into believers. If anyone has any questions or issue on fitting etc...just ask away in this thread and I will be happy to answer.

All the product info is here: www.aerotechgolfshafts.com

If you are interested in graphite/steel irons please ask and it shall be answered.

Cheers!

R11s 9 Open ASP w/Aerotech Powercoil 65X tipped 1"

Cally XHot 15 w/ Powercoil 65S

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18 w/Player Spec Stiff HS 1X

Miura 501s 3-P w/Player Spec Stiff HS 1x

TM XFT 54/60 w/Steelfiber i125s

PING Nome TR SS Ultra Thin Red

ALL Irons/Woods PURE Isle of Capri Pure Pro std w/2 wraps

Srixon XV Yellow

I've never played or hit the aerotech shafts, but I'm curious what the benefits are? I have had PX 5.5 & DG S300 in the past. Currently play the C-Tapers in a stiff flex, but recently went to a fitting and was recommended something in the x100 range. What type of feel and ball flight do the Aerotech shafts and how to they compare to other offerings from folks like DG, PX, and KBS?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I would love to see some more info on the Steelfibres. They've been around for some time, but I've never tried them out as of yet.

I think the comment from a bunch of other fitters that the butt section is extremely stiff has put me off in the past.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I was very close to Brandt Snedeker at a clinic a couple week's back, and was able to take a peek into his golf bag. He was gaming Aerotech shafts in his irons. I could not tell the specific model though. I've heard lots of good things about these shafts, but have heard that they play stiff to flex. Maybe this is due to the stiff butt section Super Tuna mentioned above.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

First,the Steelfiber are designed a little differently than most graphite shafts. It is a high modulus graphite core that is WOUND, in 59 miles of steelfiber where as everyone else sheet wraps their graphite. In typical graphite that is sheet wrapped, you develop a spine that can be weak and create a larger dispersion pattern, im sure everyone knows the concept behind "spining". That said, the Aerotechs provide the feel and power of graphite with the tight dispersion and stability of steel.

As MBP said, ive played the i95s (Matt Kuchars shafts) and the Steelfiber Player Specs (made the same way including copper fibers) that are flighted in a sense having the 3 iron shaft at 96g increasing to the PW at around 110g. Both exceptional irons shafts, I just found the player specs gave me better control over trajectories. Most of my fittings start with finding the correct flex and then deciding on weight. until you get into the 95, 110, 125 weight is all a personal feel. Kuchar went 95S while Snedeker I believe is playing 110Xs....

Feel is incredible on these. Extremely smooth feel with a real pop at the ball. Personally, i feel that people can truly feel what 'loading' and 'unloading' of the shaft is like through the swing. Vibration dampening too, those nasty miss hits dont hurt, nor does a thinner in the cold!!

Trajectory I would call as mid penetrating and boring. You do not get the ballooning of typical sheet wrapped graphite that starts low and spins very high loosing all distance. At the same time maintaining the stability to maneuver the ball left/right, right/left high and low. Comparing to the PX/DG or KBS they would be closest to the KBS. I find the PX and DGs are very hard to load for most players, too heavy and a very dead feel at impact.

I will definitely agree with Tuna and ddelise, that the butts are stiff. These will play probably 1/2 to 1 flex firmer then most. However, a good fitter can fit you into whatever it is you need. I have hard stepped and soft stepped and even double soft stepped once, for a number of clients and its worked out great making the tips softer or firmer depending on swing characteristics and desired trajectories. Distance gains range from a few yards to 10 and the biggest impact is in dispersion patterns.

Cheers

Srixon XV Yellow

Both Snedeker (i110X) and Kuchar ( i95S) are in the field at Tigers World Challange playing Aerotechs in their irons!!!

Sneds did pretty well with them winning the Fedex Cup!!

Srixon XV Yellow

Well, seeing as there is nothing on here yet about these shafts, I figure I should start one up!

I currently work in a pro shop for a big box golf store and do the majority of their fittings. Drivers, irons, wedges etc...I do them all. I have a lot of experience with these shafts and have done at least 100 fittings.

Ive played/hit/tested pretty much all of these shafts and have been able to turn a lot of people into believers. If anyone has any questions or issue on fitting etc...just ask away in this thread and I will be happy to answer.

All the product info is here: www.aerotechgolfshafts.com

If you are interested in graphite/steel irons please ask and it shall be answered.

Cheers!

If I wanted to demo something that would be similar to a KBS C-Taper S+ what would you recommend I try out? I'd looking to cut down on spin and lower the ball flight.

If I wanted to demo something that would be similar to a KBS C-Taper S+ what would you recommend I try out? I'd looking to cut down on spin and lower the ball flight.

What kind of SS and tempo do you have? Ernie Els kind of move, smooth from the top and powerful or Poulter and fast all around and powerful?

Typical shot shape (both now and desired) along with your typical miss?

What kind of heads are they going into?

Srixon XV Yellow

What kind of SS and tempo do you have? Ernie Els kind of move, smooth from the top and powerful or Poulter and fast all around and powerful?

Typical shot shape (both now and desired) along with your typical miss?

What kind of heads are they going into?

Going into Adams CMB's. Current iron's are Scratch SB/AR combo with C-Taper S. Swing speed with 7i is 97-99mph. Generally a straight to pull straight shot. My misses tend to be fat and fade. I'm generally out-to-in from 1 to 3 degrees and I have a pretty quick and aggressive tempo. Comes from playing hockey for so long I think. I like the straight ball flight, I'd love to hit a draw, but honestly in the time I would spend on the range trying to change my swing I would rather just go play. My fitter recommended something in the x100, PX 6.0 range but I tend to come in pretty steep so I want to try and lower the ball flight and cut down on the spin.

Also I'm not going to hold you to anything, I fully realize you can't fit someone on a golf forum. I just want to explore some different shafts and since I've never played anything from Aerotech I have no idea where to start in their lineup.

Going into Adams CMB's. Current iron's are Scratch SB/AR combo with C-Taper S. Swing speed with 7i is 97-99mph. Generally a straight to pull straight shot. My misses tend to be fat and fade. I'm generally out-to-in from 1 to 3 degrees and I have a pretty quick and aggressive tempo. Comes from playing hockey for so long I think. I like the straight ball flight, I'd love to hit a draw, but honestly in the time I would spend on the range trying to change my swing I would rather just go play. My fitter recommended something in the x100, PX 6.0 range but I tend to come in pretty steep so I want to try and lower the ball flight and cut down on the spin.

Also I'm not going to hold you to anything, I fully realize you can't fit someone on a golf forum. I just want to explore some different shafts and since I've never played anything from Aerotech I have no idea where to start in their lineup.

Good snap shot of your swing! If you are satisfied with the weight of the C-Tapers, I would start with a Steelfiber i110 S OR player spec Stiff. Like you said the hockey could be a big player in the pull and the fade (upper body gets moving) but I would start at one of these two options. If these are not strong enough my next move would be to hard step them once. The X will be a big step and probably isnt needed as you may find that it doesnt allow you to unload the shaft, zero give and ball goes right all day long.

One big thing with these shafts is the undeniable feel they supply to the player while maintaining their stability and trajectory control without the vibration and feeling like a noodle. I swing close to yourself, not as aggressive from the top and play a Player Spec S hard stepped once. Any more questions or clarifications please ask!!

Cheers!!

Srixon XV Yellow

Hey all,

little late tot he game here but I have been palying the 95i in all my hybrids (3-5) and the c tapers in my irons. absolutely love them. great steady smooth feel throughout the golf swing. My fitter had them in a nak hybrid and I couldn't miss so I went ahead and had him match my specs up for my hybrids.

Good writeup MLB

Hey all,

little late tot he game here but I have been palying the 95i in all my hybrids (3-5) and the c tapers in my irons. absolutely love them. great steady smooth feel throughout the golf swing. My fitter had them in a nak hybrid and I couldn't miss so I went ahead and had him match my specs up for my hybrids.

Good writeup MLB

Has the move into the Hybrids got you curious on what they would do in the irons? I tested the hybrid shaft (hls75) first and then got into the iron shafts as well. Now play a i80X in my 09 Rscue and love it so easy to hit high, low, stinger and deadly into par 5s!!

Srixon XV Yellow

Wasn't a giant fan of these in the hybrids today but I'll be fishcaked if the i80's weren't excellent.

On the other hand, I didn't like the 95's or 110's at all. Instead of just being a heavier weight, the profile was different. The 80's felt very Rifle like. The 95's and 110's were more like a KBS/PX. Not a fan.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Interesting,,,,What flexes did you hit in these? all the same flexes? I cant match any of these shafts to the PX. I find the PX is very very boardy, no feel and no real feel of load and unload unless you go to a very low flex. Did anyone fit you? What shaft did you hit in the hybrid?

Srixon XV Yellow

Has the move into the Hybrids got you curious on what they would do in the irons? I tested the hybrid shaft (hls75) first and then got into the iron shafts as well. Now play a i80X in my 09 Rscue and love it so easy to hit high, low, stinger and deadly into par 5s!!

MLB,

I actually thought about it but had the KBS C tapers just installed and wasn't going to add to the cost. I have the Rocketbldz coming in next week so I might think about it the only thing I like is the weighting of the c tapers. apparently they are supposed to lower the ball flight but they didn't do much to mine and with the RBLDZ expecting higher launch angles I may need something to minimize ballooning

Wasn't a giant fan of these in the hybrids today but I'll be fishcaked if the i80's weren't excellent.

On the other hand, I didn't like the 95's or 110's at all. Instead of just being a heavier weight, the profile was different. The 80's felt very Rifle like. The 95's and 110's were more like a KBS/PX. Not a fan.

Hey ST,

I personally love the c tapers and love the stability of the heavier shaft which is why I like the i95. I have been fit on the heavier end in all shafts starting with the X con 7 for my driver and the ACCRA AC 75 shaft for my fairway wood (may actually go to a heavier piece because i don't "feel" it the same as I do my other clubs.

Interesting,,,,What flexes did you hit in these? all the same flexes? I cant match any of these shafts to the PX. I find the PX is very very boardy, no feel and no real feel of load and unload unless you go to a very low flex. Did anyone fit you? What shaft did you hit in the hybrid?

i80 R and S

i95 R and S

i110 R and S

I felt the i95 and i110 to be extremely boardy in the S flex for both. I also found that with the R flex, the butt was so stiff, I couldn't time my release at all as I couldn't tell what the head was doing. They felt like a slightly smoother version of the PX. Same stiff butt, same softer tip.

Hybrid was a HLS75 S. I suspect I would prefer a R or a tipped R there.

I suspect the i80 and I got along so well is that according to Aerotech's CS it and the Modus3 have nearly the exactly the same profile. It's just the weight that differs.

They said the i95 and i110 are closer to a Dynamic Gold or Nippon 1150, that's stiffer then either in the same flex range. Probably why I wasn't a huge fan as I'm trying to move from the DG's. Good performance, sucky feel.

looks like I will not be trying these after all. my fitter said that the aerotech would probably generate higher launch (compared to c tapers) which with the RBLDZ we definitely don't want to go higher (thoughts?). considering the cost of 85 a pop too I am not sure I want to put another $350 into this set. I had the option of ugrading my shafts to C tapers for $22 a piece and should of took it. this was a gift and I had a limit so I have to either play the KBS 90 or put my current C tapers in at a lesser cost.

Fsav: If you're talking low as true low, you don't really have many options besides C Tapers or Dynamic Gold's of some sort (static/robot wise. That may not prove true for your swing)

Fsav: If you're talking low as true low, you don't really have many options besides C Tapers or Dynamic Gold's of some sort (static/robot wise. That may not prove true for your swing)

Thanks ST!

I may have to spend the $ for one install and put it next to a current C taper problem is I paly Miura's andfi i put this in a RBDLZ it could react the way it's supposed I guess the playability is what truly matters

These, like any other shaft out there, needs to be fitted and fitted properly by someone experience in shaft fitting. It is a process that is not completed in 20 minutes or an hour. Its done through static measurements and dynamically. to your swing. Like them or not and like any new technology, these shafts are different then everything else on the market. But I cannot stress how important it is to get fit by an experienced club fitter. Even good players with a repetitive swing and consistent trajectories, spin rates etc need to be fit.

ST - I have a hard time with this criticism. I have fit a lot of people into these, and not one has called them 'boardy'. If anything these are the complete opposite to 'boardy'. Kuchar and Snedeker love the feel of these and boardy isnt a description they give. People who have gone into these are finally able to actually feel a shaft load and unload into the golf ball.

They play a bit stiffer than flex. That said you would need to move into a softer flex or even play with the idea of hard stepping or soft stepping which is a great benefit to these shafts. A great fitting tool. As I said, its hard to say why you didnt like these without seeing your swing and how you move through the ball dynamically. My opinion is that it was a bad fitting or no fitting at all you were just hitting irons. They also take better to a smoother tempo than a vicious fast tempo.

FSAV - I think you may be surprised with the Aerotechs in the RocketBladz. If you go to a low weight and flex, yes the ball may go to high. As I said, these tend to produce more of a boring penetrating ball flight much like the KBS Tours. Not truly understanding why you want a low flight with the RBladez as their design is high launch, possibly a wrong iron fitting more than anything. Id think these would be a good fit as you may find that the Aerotechs flatten the trajectory not necessarily lower it creating more distance and better trajectory.

I would stay away from the C-Tapers unless you want something very heavy and BOARDY. If you have a SS in the high 90s low 100s fly at it but I have only but one set in someones irons; I have yet to actually fit someone into them either by eye or through the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. If you are looking for better feel, better trajectories and, what i call, pop then get fit for aerotechs, see if your club guy can get you a shaft through Aerotech to demo, install and give it a real good go in the RBladez.

Cheers!

Srixon XV Yellow

These, like any other shaft out there, needs to be fitted and fitted properly by someone experience in shaft fitting. It is a process that is not completed in 20 minutes or an hour. Its done through static measurements and dynamically. to your swing. Like them or not and like any new technology, these shafts are different then everything else on the market. But I cannot stress how important it is to get fit by an experienced club fitter. Even good players with a repetitive swing and consistent trajectories, spin rates etc need to be fit.

ST - I have a hard time with this criticism. I have fit a lot of people into these, and not one has called them 'boardy'. If anything these are the complete opposite to 'boardy'. Kuchar and Snedeker love the feel of these and boardy isnt a description they give. People who have gone into these are finally able to actually feel a shaft load and unload into the golf ball.

They play a bit stiffer than flex. That said you would need to move into a softer flex or even play with the idea of hard stepping or soft stepping which is a great benefit to these shafts. A great fitting tool. As I said, its hard to say why you didnt like these without seeing your swing and how you move through the ball dynamically. My opinion is that it was a bad fitting or no fitting at all you were just hitting irons. They also take better to a smoother tempo than a vicious fast tempo.

FSAV - I think you may be surprised with the Aerotechs in the RocketBladz. If you go to a low weight and flex, yes the ball may go to high. As I said, these tend to produce more of a boring penetrating ball flight much like the KBS Tours. Not truly understanding why you want a low flight with the RBladez as their design is high launch, possibly a wrong iron fitting more than anything. Id think these would be a good fit as you may find that the Aerotechs flatten the trajectory not necessarily lower it creating more distance and better trajectory.

I would stay away from the C-Tapers unless you want something very heavy and BOARDY. If you have a SS in the high 90s low 100s fly at it but I have only but one set in someones irons; I have yet to actually fit someone into them either by eye or through the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. If you are looking for better feel, better trajectories and, what i call, pop then get fit for aerotechs, see if your club guy can get you a shaft through Aerotech to demo, install and give it a real good go in the RBladez.

Cheers!

Appreciat the back and forth on this ST and MLB,

MLB when I made the statement that the ball flight would be "TOO" high in the RBLDZ I was referring to already playing the C tapers (reg flex) and while these are supposed lower trajectory they play great for me. I spoke with my fitter, experienced over 80 years between he and his dad, and he said that they would have to get my specs on them but he would think that the overall make of the shaft would produce a higher flight than the C taper. he also said as true static weight the 110 may be too heavy considering the dual formula of graphite and metal in the aerotechs and I may prefer the i95. again this was all speculation and thoughts flowing through my head. I may just give it a go with the aerotechs after your insight. now would I start out with the i95 or i110 who knows I guess if he has them in a couple of clubs I can get a "FEEL" for it but again speculation for now as I don't know if I am ready to add another 350 for shaft to this set.

Appreciat the back and forth on this ST and MLB,

MLB when I made the statement that the ball flight would be "TOO" high in the RBLDZ I was referring to already playing the C tapers (reg flex) and while these are supposed lower trajectory they play great for me. I spoke with my fitter, experienced over 80 years between he and his dad, and he said that they would have to get my specs on them but he would think that the overall make of the shaft would produce a higher flight than the C taper. he also said as true static weight the 110 may be too heavy considering the dual formula of graphite and metal in the aerotechs and I may prefer the i95. again this was all speculation and thoughts flowing through my head. I may just give it a go with the aerotechs after your insight. now would I start out with the i95 or i110 who knows I guess if he has them in a couple of clubs I can get a "FEEL" for it but again speculation for now as I don't know if I am ready to add another 350 for shaft to this set.

Ah, i misunderstood. I am still not sure as to why you want the Rbladez lower, its like your fighting their natural high ball flights. If you are looking to flatten the trajectory (which I would in your spot given the "arcing" trajectory of the Bladez) my suggestion would have been more KBS tour or Aerotechs. I find that the design of the Aeros makes the biggest differece as well as feeling smoother than the CTapers. Your wound in the Aeros which creates the smooth loading and un loading along with the workability in your trajectories and movement of the ball. I wouldnt say the 110s would be too heavy. Your playing the Ctapers at 110 now even maybe lighter as they have been butt trimmed to your desired length. I fit first to flex then weight is up to the player because you can find a R flex in 95 maybe perfect while in the 110 they play a bit stiffer. Thats said Kuchar plays i95 S straight in, Snedeker plays 110 Xs. I would start with the i95 Reg and either go straight in with it or HS a reg/SS a Stiff. Thats something your fitter should be able to determine.

They are a bit higher on cost, however, they are a different shaft both steel and graphite. You could go pay triple and get a set of OZIK Programs at 800 or 1000 bucks and they arent a combination of steel and graphite. Even the Aldilas are in that range as well.

Oh, the other option you have is to try out the Player Spec line. A bit more money but these are closer to the idea of a flighted shaft weighing in at like 94 or 96 in the longer irons increaseing by 2 grams down to the wedge which i believe is at 110 or 112g. These have copper in them craeting a balanced MOI, the flighted concept with easy to hit 3,4,5 irons and more control in the short tirons. This is what I play absolutely deadly on the course.

Cheers

Srixon XV Yellow

Greetings,

Well, you can have a hard time with it if you like but that's my experience. Equally, I think we both know equipment and fitting well enough that trying to make comments about some pro's experience with them means diddly squat to either of us. It's simply a non starter.

My experience with them matches comments by many other notable Aerotech dealers. I'm not hitting on the brand that you're championing, just that certain models are a better fit for myself then others. I'm going to leave the rest alone. I've fit enough people and know my own specs to know what will and won't work.

Greetings,

Well, you can have a hard time with it if you like but that's my experience. Equally, I think we both know equipment and fitting well enough that trying to make comments about some pro's experience with them means diddly squat to either of us. It's simply a non starter.

My experience with them matches comments by many other notable Aerotech dealers. I'm not hitting on the brand that you're championing, just that certain models are a better fit for myself then others. I'm going to leave the rest alone. I've fit enough people and know my own specs to know what will and won't work.

I know everyone's game is different and they may need different shafts. The Aerotech's aren't for everybody, I've send enough people who could use a lesson or two before they go buy whatever shafts they are looking at. All I was trying to say is with the Aerotech's you need to respect the idea that they are very different to every steel iron shaft that you have ever hit. Designed differently, weights are different, flexes are different and feel is different. Like any shaft, its takes time to get used to new feels. I know that I would never fit myself (had the rep fit me). Your opinion is your opinion and I respect that. Good Luck with your shaft search.....

Cheers

Srixon XV Yellow

MLB sorryf or the confusion not fighting it just don't want it to be TOO high and effect performance. obviously if I am playing hte c taper and it works for me I need a shaft that provides a low trajectory and if the SF shafts are originally going to produce higher ball flights this has potential to ballon and lose distance and performance. again all of this would have to go through my fitter and then see how the performance works. it jsut so may happne ethat the KBS 90s I have coming work better than all. I will have them matched to my specs if possible. if not pulled and something of the two mentioned added.

Hoep I am not coming off dumb I do understand that this all needs to be processed by data and performacne I am going strictly on the assumption of higher balls flight in one shaft compared to another.

I know everyone's game is different and they may need different shafts. The Aerotech's aren't for everybody, I've send enough people who could use a lesson or two before they go buy whatever shafts they are looking at. All I was trying to say is with the Aerotech's you need to respect the idea that they are very different to every steel iron shaft that you have ever hit. Designed differently, weights are different, flexes are different and feel is different. Like any shaft, its takes time to get used to new feels. I know that I would never fit myself (had the rep fit me). Your opinion is your opinion and I respect that. Good Luck with your shaft search.....

Cheers

Side note: Any interest in seeing the EI profiles of the line? I'm not sure if that's something GT or Aerotech have given you.

Archived