Testers Wanted: L.A.B. DF3 Putter

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
7,555 signups
Equipment Type: Putter
Vendor: L.A.B.

TESTERS WANTED!

1.jpg

It is no secret that L.A.B. Golf has taken off because of multiple wins on the PGA Tour and a greater professional presence overall. Its success in MyGolfSpy testing and the hype around the newly released L.A.B. DF3 has only increased its notoriety. 

What Is L.A.B.? 

L.A.B. stands for Lie Angle Balance. These putters, unlike other putters, are not toe-hang or face balanced. They are balanced to point at the target, meaning no twisting, no struggling to keep the face directed at the target—the putter does this naturally. 

As each golfer is unique in their putting stance and stroke, the fitting process for L.A.B. is crucial. L.A.B. has made this easy by way of their online submission. A simple step-by-step process is sent to L.A.B. and they use this video to dial in your specifications. 

L.A.B. is best known for their big and unique-looking DF 2.1, a putter that has many nicknames and certainly does not appeal to all golfers. This is where the DF3 comes in. 

3.jpg

What Is Being Tested 

The DF3 is the toned-down version of the bigger DF 2.1. This is what L.A.B. has to say about it: “We took a chisel to the original Lie Angle Balanced putter to make DF3 smaller and sleeker while honoring the shape of the putter that started it all for us. DF3 still does everything golfers love about the original. It stays square by itself. It’s still irrationally forgiving on mishits. But there’s a lot less to think about.” 

We are looking for six non-L.A.B. Golf users to test, review and keep the new DF3. We want to know how the DF3 performs, how/if the L.A.B. method works for you and get cold hard data on how these putters compare to your gamers! 

Think you are up for the challenge? 

2.jpg

* Registration closes April 9. 

* Testers to be announced on the Forum April 16.. 

* Open to golfers worldwide but you must be a registered Forum member to be selected.

519 Comments

As it happened, I was out driving around this afternoon, turned into a local golf shop on a whim (the same shop that did my fitting two years ago) and to my surprise they had a DF3 in stock. So of course I had to try it out. Their putting area has a ridiculous amount of break for an allegedly flat carpeted floor, but I made my fair share of 15-footers once I figured out that everything broke toward the front door. Not sure they're set up for LAB fitting though, and I certainly would want to take advantage of that if I were going to pay that much for a putter. Or if I were going to test it for MGS for that matter.

I soooo want to be in on this opportunity.  I have been testing/toying with the DF2 and the Mezz options (didn't really like the LINK) at Golf Galaxy for the last month or so - we still have snow so indoor is the best I can do.  Thought before starting the testing that I would be looking at DF2, but lots of putts later settled in on the Mezz Max (tried both and preferred the Max).  Then they got in the DF3 and I am now that seems to be working just a little better.  I have been after GG to get their LAB fitting training but they don't have anything scheduled and at this point don't see it happening anytime soon.   

Long story short the timing is perfect and I could really really use the putting help!

Good luck everyone!

Thanks LAB and MGS.

Jim

I’ve been dying to get one of these on my hands for months now. Super intrigued by L.A.B.’s nuanced take on putters. 

49 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

As it happened, I was out driving around this afternoon, turned into a local golf shop on a whim (the same shop that did my fitting two years ago) and to my surprise they had a DF3 in stock. So of course I had to try it out. Their putting area has a ridiculous amount of break for an allegedly flat carpeted floor, but I made my fair share of 15-footers once I figured out that everything broke toward the front door. Not sure they're set up for LAB fitting though, and I certainly would want to take advantage of that if I were going to pay that much for a putter. Or if I were going to test it for MGS for that matter.

Honestly, considering that LAB really doesn't DO fittings other than online, and that the recommend their customers go through that process (all testers for the last two iterations of this test have done so as well), I'm willing to believe in their video-fit system.  I can totally understand your hesitation, but as the video fitting is PART of the testing (does it actually work for YOU), I'd say it's all fair game when it comes to the testers.  🙂 

As a tester from '22, and a FIRM believer that the DF2.1 has completely changed my putting game, I would highly, strongly, other-words-that-mean-the-same thing encourage any/all of you to submit a video to L.A.B. for the online fitting - even just as an experiment.  It's free, and once the recommendation comes in, you'll be able to take those measurements and see if one of the floor-samples has the same set-up.  The technology really IS built to your specs, so if you're (like me) a lie-angle of 65-degrees, and you're in the store rolling a 70-degree model,  you might find yourself too upright and uncomfortable.  

Just some food for thought for those of you applying/considering a L.A.B.!

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Honestly, considering that LAB really doesn't DO fittings other than online, and that the recommend their customers go through that process (all testers for the last two iterations of this test have done so as well), I'm willing to believe in their video-fit system.  I can totally understand your hesitation, but as the video fitting is PART of the testing (does it actually work for YOU), I'd say it's all fair game when it comes to the testers.  🙂 

@ILMgolfnut I would 100% say trust the online fitting process. It may not offer much confidence and as you’d imagine, the last two LA.B. Tests covered this topic extensively, it is legit. 

Spending $500 on a putter that relies upon a fitting to work in its optimal form may give you pause but as someone who has experienced the process, I can say confidently that it works.  I’ve had zero reservation on my results. 

I have seen a few of them on the courses and would love to try them. I am in the market for a new putter, as mine is my first EVER putter.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

@ILMgolfnut I would 100% say trust the online fitting process. It may not offer much confidence and as you’d imagine, the last two LA.B. Tests covered this topic extensively, it is legit. 

Spending $500 on a putter that relies upon a fitting to work in its optimal form may give you pause but as someone who has experienced the process, I can say confidently that it works.  I’ve had zero reservation on my results. 

What I was trying to say is that I would want to be fitted somehow for a $520 putter (I looked at the price sticker at the shop today). I'm fine with that fitting being virtual, if the local shop isn't set up for LAB fitting. I don't want to plunk down five-plus Benjamins just because it feels good on the indoor carpet.

5 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

What I was trying to say is that I would want to be fitted somehow for a $520 putter (I looked at the price sticker at the shop today). I'm fine with that fitting being virtual, if the local shop isn't set up for LAB fitting. I don't want to plunk down five-plus Benjamins just because it feels good on the indoor carpet.

LAB does have fitting locations:  https://labgolf.com/fitting-locations/    Many are club champion but there are also smaller shops.  In Willmington you can go to LOGGERHEAD GOLF CO.

15 hours ago, Splatt said:

LAB Golf back again with another red hot testing opportunity.

I can let you all know from personal experience last year, LAB are amazing and the process for getting fit for the putter was smooth and streamlined.
Anyone who signs up should keep all of their fingers AND toes crossed.

It has definitely made your 3 putting more consistent... 😂

But seriously, it is a unique looking weapon and one I'd love to get my hands on.

The smaller shape over the old version makes this much more appealing , would love to be fit for one of these and test it with the Bridgestone mindset ball, good luck to everyone 

Very interested in this test. The engineering reasons make sense, but that doesn’t always relate exactly to real world use. I’ve modified an old putter by cutting off the hosel and remounting as a center shaft to try it (see photo). Then added relief to the putter face. have less than $45 into the putter.  Not concerned with looks (well maybe a little, I did polish it up until shiny) or cost if it works.  It worked so well it remained in my bag for the next month. My golf partners gave me a hard time about it at the start of the first round, but after drastically improving my putting, and sinking two putts from over 25 feet that first round, they tried to pull it from my bag and said it must not be legal.😁 I’ve since added a Wilson Bean double bend shaft with favorable results. That said, the calculations still support a center shaft design, and I’m interested in testing something that also increases forgiveness.IMG_1377.jpeg.b9087f793db612f0b30390d2b0e3430f.jpegIMG_1379.jpeg.6130da0404e1a1424136073cf27c6325.jpegIMG_1383.jpeg.e952ed17293b1d04e7a126c92183e4fe.jpegIMG_1380.jpeg.d1383a330564f3b9380c46bb6494420a.jpeg

54 minutes ago, TxDentist1234 said:

i didn’t get fitted when i bought my putter so it would be interesting to see the differences comparing this putter vs my 2 stock putters. 

Agreed

43 minutes ago, TWO said:

Very interested in this test. The engineering reasons make sense, but that doesn’t always relate exactly to real world use. I’ve modified an old putter by cutting off the hosel and remounting as a center shaft to try it (see photo). Then added relief to the putter face. have less than $45 into the putter.  Not concerned with looks (well maybe a little, I did polish it up until shiny) or cost if it works.  It worked so well it remained in my bag for the next month. My golf partners gave me a hard time about it at the start of the first round, but after drastically improving my putting, and sinking two putts from over 25 feet that first round, they tried to pull it from my bag and said it must not be legal.😁 I’ve since added a Wilson Bean double bend shaft with favorable results. That said, the calculations still support a center shaft design, and I’m interested in testing something that also increases forgiveness.IMG_1377.jpeg.b9087f793db612f0b30390d2b0e3430f.jpegIMG_1379.jpeg.6130da0404e1a1424136073cf27c6325.jpegIMG_1383.jpeg.e952ed17293b1d04e7a126c92183e4fe.jpegIMG_1380.jpeg.d1383a330564f3b9380c46bb6494420a.jpeg

What a cool DIY project! Maybe L.A.B. should be offering you a job and a putter.

As I’ve had many putters over the years golf company’s make all sorts of wild claims but are they any good?As I’ve kept stats on my putts with the different putters they all seem to hover in the general area. So  with this new lab model is it just another another claim to be the holy grail - would love to test to see if their new putter will help.

I Love everything about this company. The owner and the product is awesome. I would love to do an in depth test and review of this putter. What an opportunity

23 hours ago, Braehead said:

I've done it and made the switch.  I've also reviewed and compared it with my own putter here in the forum already.  LAB will disagree but when you pick the testers I'd suggest you get them fit online and in person to compare the two methods.  

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive! 

Quoting myself - but it's arrived. Shame we've got terrible weather this weekend

IMG_8864.jpeg.e214d108681681c994aa81642493e251.jpegIMG_8862.jpeg.69d2cbe3f6612e124eb62d56bc8b4899.jpegIMG_8863.jpeg.93aca1d3b69d84aad92c08b4431ade82.jpegIMG_8861.jpeg.2bf23641f3a0fe12497e8ba47bf4c192.jpeg

I am a recent convert to LAB putters but they sure are hard to get over here in Australia. Would really love a chance to be fitted for one and give some honest feebback.

Many thanks for the opportunity 

This Test is now closed to further comments.